PDA

View Full Version : MacBook = Best Compact Notebook

richbowen
11th July 2006, 09:04 PM
Every now and then I find myself wanting to point to an "independent" source that compares Macs with non-Macs. The Fairfax papers carried this (http://www.theage.com.au/news/reviews/review-compact-laptops/2006/07/05/1151779009034.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2) review recently ...

Compared the 13 inch MacBook with an Acer, an Asus and a Dell.

If you have to run Windows then it would be a toss-up between the Acer and Asus. Otherwise there's just no beating the MacBook. The price, stylish design, robust chassis and powerful yet easy-to-use software all result in Apple's best ever laptop and one we'd happily have as our travelling companion for work or play. It proves how competitive Apple can be.[/b]

Once Leopard/Bootcamp/Parallels becomes better known maybe journalists won't even need to give a Windows qualification to such an endorsement!

vargz
11th July 2006, 09:13 PM
The price, stylish design, robust chassis and powerful yet easy-to-use software all result in Apple's best ever laptop ... [/b]
Apple's best ever laptop? Not yet... maybe after a few revisions. For now, Its the Macbook Pro or even the Rev-D Powerbook that holds that mantle :P

mechcon
11th July 2006, 09:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vargz &#064; Jul 11 2006, 09&#58;13 PM) 193964</div>

Apple&#39;s best ever laptop? Not yet... maybe after a few revisions. For now, Its the Macbook Pro or even the Rev-D Powerbook that holds that mantle :P
[/b]

2nd final/final rev powerbook indeed&#33;

i predict a rev c/d macbook would be declared best compact notebook

chocho
11th July 2006, 10:46 PM
how does the battery compare between the macbook and ibook 12&#39;&#39;?

decryption
11th July 2006, 10:55 PM
I&#39;m not even sure how you&#39;d compare a Mac to a Windows computer. They&#39;re totally different beasts. An Apple machine running Windows would be easy to compare. But Mac vs. Windows is a complex beast that many have tried to tackle in the past but never won.

We&#39;ll have a lot more people asking about Macs now, asking the ever eternal question "Windows works pretty well for me, why should I use a Mac?"

Johnny Appleseed
11th July 2006, 10:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vargz &#064; Jul 11 2006, 09&#58;13 PM) 193964</div>

Apple&#39;s best ever laptop? Not yet... maybe after a few revisions. For now, Its the Macbook Pro or even the Rev-D Powerbook that holds that mantle :P
[/b]
Note that price is one of the criteria. On a bang-for-buck basis, the MacBook might just have the edge&#33;

richbowen
11th July 2006, 11:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(decryption &#064; Jul 11 2006, 10&#58;55 PM) 193999</div>

"... Windows works pretty well for me, ..."
[/b]

Anyone who claims that is not trying hard enough :D

We now have a new response ("Macs can run Windows now, but I don&#39;t know why you&#39;d bother"), but I generally point out that their work PC is probably supported by an IT department/expert and ask whether their home PC runs as smoothly without that support.

I agree that comparisons have always been difficult, but the Intel Switch does reduce the value of hardware comparisons. The "experience" (IMO due to software and external appearance) is now the best measure of comparison.

12th July 2006, 10:12 PM
Price used to be a big factor to most and the fact that people would assume that Apple laptops/comps are only for the photographers and other creative people as that is what "Apple" is reknown for but now it&#39;s been quite evident that Apple is certainly closing the gap.

I thought when I bought my Macbook that I would use Windows often and to my surprise I haven&#39;t even gone in there to work at all, just been there when I first installed to check that it was working.

applecollector
12th July 2006, 10:47 PM
I believe the macbook get slightly worse batt life then the Powerbook only due to the core duo processor but nit a large difference only minor.
So we can say 5 hours for the powerbook and macbook

Silver-Arrowz
13th July 2006, 12:21 AM
I got a MBP and it&#39;s THE best PC/Laptop/anything with a keyboard I&#39;ve come across.

Can only imagine what the later revisions are going to be like.