PDA

View Full Version : How to check for defects in MBP before purchase.

hally
11th July 2006, 06:41 PM
Giday guys,
I just recieved a call from the manager of the apple reseller store telling me that my replacement machine is ready to go! Naturally I am extremely excited. The thing that i didn't do last time, was take the machine out of the box and give it a full inspection in front of a a store rep, although this time i was told by the manager that we will have the machines set up side by side and make sure that there is nothing wrong with the new machine.

Therefore, I'm wondering what other checks should i be doing appart from the major 'whine' check? (the reason im getting a replacement is because of a whine type noise from the LCD, and also the fan has never turned off since the day i brought it!)

so please feel free to add to the checklist of things that should be checked! I don't want to forget anything!

Checklist:
- Pixel check
- Cosmetic check
- Make sure there is no LCD whine
- Make sure the fan actually turns of
- Make sure trackpad works
- Make sure trackpad clicking works
- Check the speakers

Is there anything i'm missing!? Thanks everyone. :)

mechcon
11th July 2006, 07:00 PM
- make sure its a powerpc processor :P *jokes*

umm no dead pixels too ?

The Fluffy Duck
11th July 2006, 07:13 PM
Im am so sick of everybody thinking now that macs have intel processors in them they are ticking time bombs for problems.

Every second post on this forum is about issues with x86 macs.

Do it as you would any other computer. Dead pixels are the main thing. Intel machines are just as study as a PPC machine get over it people.

God its making me mad :(

bartron
11th July 2006, 07:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Fluffy Duck &#064; Jul 11 2006, 07&#58;13 PM) 193924</div>
Im am so sick of everybody thinking now that macs have intel processors in them they are ticking time bombs for problems.

Do it as you would any other computer. Dead pixels are the main thing. Intel machines are just as study as a PPC machine get over it people.

God its making me mad :( [/b]

Crikey....ever since Apple started releasing intel boxen I&#39;ve been nothing but impressed with the stability. Just goes to prove what a solid os OS X is (if anything I have had less issues on the intels than with the ppc macs).

Anyway...ask to see the Mac before you walk out of the shop (or pay for it then look at it in store). Any obvious problems such as a dodgy screen, iSight or whathaveyou get them to fix there and then. Anything else probably won&#39;t show up for a few days if at all. Computers are the type of things that either break in the first few months or will live forever (well...not quite...but for a long time at least). They all have 12 months warranty on them so you can take them back to the store anytime as you well know. But if it looks ok in the store it should be ok from then on.

Bartron

mechcon
11th July 2006, 08:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Fluffy Duck &#064; Jul 11 2006, 07&#58;13 PM) 193924</div>

God its making me mad :(
[/b]

its called shitstirring :P

relax matey, the imac i have at work is an intel, and its sweet, granted rosetta&#39;d apps are a slug, but, i&#39;ll get used to it, or i move over to openoffice.. back to topic..

Check the disc on how it ejects (whether it comes out entirely or half-way) what i mean by that is, that it ejects out so that you can grab the middle hole to pull the disc out of the slot

hally
11th July 2006, 08:20 PM
Ahh yes thanks guys&#33; I never thought about checking the cd drive, but its on my list now&#33; Also i&#39;ll be checking the iSight and whatnot to make sure thats all smooth.

The Fluffy Duck, This is my first mac (I have been using them at uni and at friends houses and whatnot, although I never thought I would have the money to own one, although after saving my pennies right, and deciding to just take the plunge on a new machine I must say that I am really happy with the performance&#33;

Granted that i&#39;m actually taking my current machine back for a replacement, it is due to lcd issues (i think, noise seems to be coming from there) but appart from that i&#39;ve had a great time with my MBP and i am looking forward to getting my new machine so i can set it up and use it as my main machine. That was the original plans, however this inane noise coming from the screen has made my time with the MBP a little less than splendid&#33; Although i&#39;m really hoping that this time around the new machine will be flawless&#33;

And yes when apps are running under rosetta they are a bit of a pain, although im sure they are managable for most, i&#39;m contemplating using bootcamp and doing all my design work in there, however I brought this machine so i could have the advantage of using the stable and beautifuly design OSX platform&#33; hopefully adobe will get into gear and release CS3.