PDA

View Full Version : Apple laptop explodes

forgie
10th July 2006, 09:22 PM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/15005060.htm

I knew it would be only a matter of time after that Dell thing....

So where are the quips from the fanboys now? ;)

maclover
10th July 2006, 09:28 PM
$15,000 US to replace burnt carpet???

I know now that if my laptop gets hot, be aware of what may happen...

Is it just the lithium ion batteries that do it? Are there alternatives?

forgie
10th July 2006, 09:34 PM
The article explicitly says the laptop was left "idling" on the carpet. For some reason I find it hard to believe that the battery would've exploded if it was idling.... I guess it could've been very hot carpet! (central heating perhaps?)

hally
10th July 2006, 09:35 PM
This sort of thing shouldn't be happening. As much as I'm an apple fan boy (and believe me I'm in love with the machines) I have to admit that this is extremely dangerous and should be stopped before it happens again. It is only a matter of time that someone leaves their laptop 'idling' (as reported in the article) and goes out, or goes outside to take a swim etc, and then they will return to a house full of smoke.

I don't care what brand of laptop is it that has caught on fire, all of the companies producing laptops should take these situations under intense scrutiny and find out exactly what is causing these laptops to 'explode'.

Please don't disappoint apple! Take the lead and find out why this problem is happening, then you can put a sticker on the box saying 'guaranteed to not blow up because of ....... safety protection"!

Byrd
10th July 2006, 09:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Jul 10 2006, 09&#58;22 PM) 193671</div>

[/b]

Remember that Apple were always the first with toasted notebooks ... ever heard of the Powerbook 5300? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_5300) :)

JB

forgie
10th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Dell were clearly just copying Apple&#39;s innovative explosive-Lithium-ion concept. Why can&#39;t other companies come up with their own ideas?

Seriously though, battery temps should be monitored and if they get over a certain limit, the laptop should be forced to go to sleep (with maybe a warning beforehand). It&#39;s not that hard I wouldn&#39;t have thought....

mwot
11th July 2006, 10:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Jul 10 2006, 10&#58;17 PM) 193693</div>

Dell were clearly just copying Apple&#39;s innovative explosive-Lithium-ion concept. Why can&#39;t other companies come up with their own ideas?
Seriously though, battery temps should be monitored and if they get over a certain limit, the laptop should be forced to go to sleep (with maybe a warning beforehand). It&#39;s not that hard I wouldn&#39;t have thought....
[/b]
Yes, a neat idea. What you&#39;ll then find, however, is a backlash from consumers complaining that their laptops keep shutting down because of heat. Imagine trying to use a laptop during the summer months&#33; Marketing-wise, I don&#39;t think such a safety feature would make laptops viable.

I do agree with an earlier comment: manufacturer&#39;s should take pains to caution of the potential hazards with laptops and overheating. But then, the first company to do that will receive a backlash from consumers ... blah blah blah ... <_<

mivory
11th July 2006, 11:01 PM
That&#39;s very scary. Surely that wouldn&#39;t happen if the laptop was in sleep mode? Even so, I find that pretty disturbing. I&#39;ve heard of users being brnt by having the laptops on their laps (as the name would suggest they are to be used). I can imagine airlines now telling passengers not to use laptops at all onboard. Has any member here had their laptop catch on fire or set fire to something else?

Kuma
12th July 2006, 01:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forgie &#064; Jul 10 2006, 10&#58;22 PM) 193671</div>

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/15005060.htm

[/b]
It wasn&#39;t after the Dell thing.. it was well before....
it just has been reported now...

really people should be aware for their own safety... I have left my PB running on my bed.. and you can hear the fan kick on.. its like screaming.. HAY IM TOO FREAKING HOT.. I NEED TO CHILL OUT&#33;&#33;

I then put her on my stand... (designed to aid in cooling) and let her sleep or do nothing for a bit

yes I agree manufacturers need to resolve this as it shouldnt happen.. but people need to take responsibilty for their own actions too... leaving it on carpet is never a good thing&#33;&#33;

Hobart
12th July 2006, 01:41 AM
though the battries get pretty hot i&#39;d never imagine them to acctually catch fire. but i still cant see how the laptops just contsantly flare up lke the dell did. it seems that the battry would burn the plastic and once the battries out of material to burn thered be burnt plastic left smoldering.

but im wanting my dell to burn up, at least itd be a sweet way for it so go. that and it struggles on scrolling down web pages so i dont even use it anymore. and acctually now that i think about it i cant even get internet now because the network port is broken and it doesnt want to connect to the wireless network

hawker
12th July 2006, 07:56 AM
Why not pics? how can we verify the story is true :P

mwot
12th July 2006, 01:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobart &#064; Jul 12 2006, 01&#58;41 AM) 194030</div>

though the battries get pretty hot i&#39;d never imagine them to acctually catch fire. but i still cant see how the laptops just contsantly flare up lke the dell did. it seems that the battry would burn the plastic and once the battries out of material to burn thered be burnt plastic left smoldering.

but im wanting my dell to burn up, at least itd be a sweet way for it so go. that and it struggles on scrolling down web pages so i dont even use it anymore. and acctually now that i think about it i cant even get internet now because the network port is broken and it doesnt want to connect to the wireless network
[/b]

You should just borrow some of forgie&#39;s leftover fuel (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=22916&hl=petrol) that he was looking to offload, add a match and whoof&#33; ... problem solved ;)

Wally
12th July 2006, 01:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 12 2006, 07&#58;56 AM) 194042</div>

Why not pics? how can we verify the story is true :P
[/b]

This is something that should be looked into...

Too many fake things these days, never can be too careful

danno74
12th July 2006, 01:11 PM
I think the batteries are made by some shifty korean company or something, aren&#39;t they, like a lot of other components in Apple machines. I&#39;ve had a heap of trouble with shifty capacitors in two Macs now and they&#39;re made by some company in SE Asia I&#39;ve never even heard of. That&#39;s the problem though - Apple may need to work out their quality testing procedures more than they do now. They need to rigorously test all of their components over a period of time and in large batch numbers before releasing their machines to the public. It&#39;s only a matter of time until one of these machines explodes on someone&#39;s lap.

pipsqeek
12th July 2006, 02:44 PM
It&#39;s not hard to believe a battery can explode. They are after all, chemical based and use this so convert energy into current flow.

From this process, heat is produced. Another thing that most batteries produce is hydrogen gas when charging.

It doesn&#39;t take much for that to ignite.

I&#39;ve done my own Mythbuster style experiments in the past (long before the show) :P

And one of them was to see if a battery could explode on it&#39;s own accord. And it did. On a hot summers day, the battery was left on a charger and eventually enough hydrogen gas had surrounded it to ignite.

Batteries are basically bombs waiting to go off. People don&#39;t know this, therefor are surprised when one explodes.

pipsqeek