PDA

View Full Version : 17" MacBook returned

Kim
9th July 2006, 10:22 PM
It's the time of the year when staff at my work are purchasing laptops as a salary sacrifice - and we've so far had about 7 people buy MacBooks - myself included.

I noticed mine was running quite hot - but not too bad, so I ignored it. I had been running it off the AC adaptor. A couple of days later I started working off the battery - to about 96%. I shut my machine down (completely - I always wait for the screen to go completely black - a habit I got used to with my Powerbook), and put it in its bag and took it to work. About 4 hours later I got out the bag and noticed it was quite warm. I took out the laptop and ouch - VERY hot! Especially the RAM cover next to where the battery goes, and the top bit above the keyboard. This is with the machine shut down! I tried to turn it on - but the battery was completely dead.

So in the space of 4 hours the battery has gone from 96% to flat - with the computer shut down. Even if it was just sleeping - it should last longer than 4 hours. And it shouldn't get so hot!

My AppleCentre said they will replace it - so I started the machine up in Target disk mode to back up my data. While doing this the laptop got very very hot - in the end I cancelled the backup and just backed up my most essential files (I'll have to reinstall all my apps and system updates). Maybe Target mode disables the fans - so it gets extra hot? Anyone know?

I'll have my replacement on Monday - but I am worried the replacement will have this same problem (seeing as it would be from the same batch). I wonder if I should request that they order me a new one from Apple? (current build).

Does anyone know if the thermal paste issues are still a problem? What is the most recent build? Mine was a Week 24 I think.

Cheers,
Kim

Edit: Oh, and another problem I noticed is bad backlighting in the LCD. The bottom corners flare out mid-tones, and it is uneven all over. My 17" Powerbook display was far far better!

applecollector
9th July 2006, 11:54 PM
Hello,

No target disk mode does not turn off the fans.
it sounds like you have one dodgy macbook and it's good that your getting it replaced.
A friend of mine is also getting his replaced becuase it has some faults.
See ppl this is why i'm staying with my 1.5Ghz 12" Powerbook (fault free) anyways enough from me.
Hope it all works out for you nad if the new one has an issue just take it back and keep taking it bak till you get a good one! :-)

mechcon
10th July 2006, 07:16 AM
applecollector, im with you on that 110% regarding the powerbooks

granted the mbp's we had coming through work (from orders and personal laptops) there's been no problems.

Kim
10th July 2006, 07:42 AM
Yeah - I'm using my trusty 1.67ghz Powerbook at the moment - one of the last builds - a very stable machine. Hopefully the replacement runs better - so I might ask if they can re-order it from Apple (so that I get a machine not from the same batch).

mechcon
10th July 2006, 07:44 AM
if it's under warranty, they should be able to fix exactly whats causing the problem