PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Revision

tania2412
6th July 2006, 04:53 PM
What am I meant to look for if I'm hoping to buy a MacBook Pro but I want one that has been updated to fix the problems MacBook Pros have been having...as in a newer revision or however you'd describe it? Is there a number that would indicate that? I don't trust the apple reseller without having something to ask for...

step_andy
6th July 2006, 05:00 PM
1st wave of MBPs were:
1.83 Ghz Core duo, 512 MB RAM and 128 MB video card; and
2 Ghz Core duo, 1 GB RAM, and 256 Mb video card.

Current MBPs are
2 Ghz Core duo, 512 RAM and 128 MB video card
2.16 Ghz Core duo, 1 GB RAM and with 256 MB video card

mechcon
6th July 2006, 05:00 PM
you could always wait out for the revision b macbook pro's to come out (apparently, but not officially true) soon..

maybe they'll have 8x superdrives in the 15" models.. as they ARE talking about apparently a new shell for the pro notebooks

hally
7th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Well, its each to their own when it comes to waiting for text revision, however i think that you're going to be waiting a while for anything major to change in the macbook pro range. And you should ask yourself, is everything that the current macbook pros are offering sufficient for me? or do i need to wait to get a memron chip?

These are great machines, and if you get one with dudd noises (like myself) the apple store is more than happy to get you a machine that is in full perfect working order!

And about the new case design, I love the current design, so that was anther driving force behind my decision to make the purchase!

marc
7th July 2006, 09:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tania2412 &#064; Jul 6 2006, 04&#58;53 PM) 192455</div>
I want one that has been updated to fix the problems MacBook Pros have been having...[/b]
No probs here.

Currawong
7th July 2006, 10:08 PM
The updates were made quite a while ago, so unless a store has been hoarding stock (highly unlikely) for months, whatever you get will be very recent.

dev_enter
8th July 2006, 01:04 AM
I have no idea what the previous model numbers were, but the current model numbers are:

15.4-inch: 2.0GHz (MA600X/A)
15.4-inch: 2.16GHz (MA601X/A)
17-inch: 2.16GHz (MA092X/A)

areal
10th July 2006, 03:56 PM
This isn&#39;t exactly on topic, but I didn&#39;t want to waste space with a new thread:

I just came home with a new MacBook Pro and was hoping to get some advice from other MBP users on what to look for to make sure that the machine is healthy. Normally I would just assume that I have a good computer out of the box, but all of the Intel complaints, especially those concerning MBs and MBPs, have me just a little paranoid. So, yeah, any advice about what to check would be much appriciated.

So far, no regrets though. It is a beautiful Apple by any measure.

gizo
10th July 2006, 04:01 PM
I got mine in early June. There&#39;s been no issues.

Other than the speaker one. Seems to be pretty common concern. Mine sound like crap. I tried watching movies (I<heart> huckabees, O brother where art thou) and dialogue is distorted/muffled/hard to hear.

Check that inside 14 days, if you can. I listened to mine alongside the other ones in the shop, and they all sounded the same, but I&#39;m still not entirely convinced. I&#39;ve heard some people are remarkably happy with the sound, and I find it hard to believe that anyone can be happy with it.....

edit: and if I read any more comments like "they&#39;re only laptop speakers, what do you expect?", i&#39;ll puke. It&#39;s a &#036;3000 PRO computer. It should be better.

mechcon
10th July 2006, 04:23 PM
I wonder if there&#39;s mods where people can add in better speakers? maybe get a techie in the store (a buddy buddy techie) to say your speakers are farked, and well.... get them to replace/repair them?

areal
10th July 2006, 05:14 PM
The internal sound seems in order, and better than that from my Powerbook. You should definitely expect better it seems. Any other advice from anyone?

For those looking at upgrading to a MBP, my initial impressions are that the machine is extremely fast navigating around the OS and that the little Apple features (iSight, Apple Remote, Backlit KB, Magsafe) are all integrated seamlessly. It&#39;s hard to imagine how the form could be improved upon. I even managed to get my dock and the MBP pairing with their respective remotes, which is cool. Oh, and the display is excellent. I have the non-glossy, and though it is hard to identify the specific differences that make it so, it is noticeably improved upon the PB display.

gizo
10th July 2006, 05:17 PM
Oh, and I managed to make it crash once.
Using iMovieHD, shooting a bunch of short clips with the iSight, and wandering around the house. After about 5 it just stopped. Got the spinning beachball. Could run other apps, but iMovie wasn&#39;t responding.
I tried to force-quit, but to no avail. Ended up having to reboot. I thought that wasn&#39;t supposed to happen on Macs... heh...

forgie
10th July 2006, 05:45 PM
Intel has released 2.33Ghz Yonah chips. I am surprised that MBPs haven&#39;t been bumped yet.