PDA

View Full Version : Regional DVD Coding

cornks
5th July 2006, 07:38 AM
Hi All,

I have just moved to the UK, with my trusty iMac Intel. I use my iMac as a my only DVD player. When I went to the rental store the other day, and played the DVD in the iMac, it told me that I had to change regions to play it and I only have a limited number of regional changes left (3 I think).

Is there any way around this regional changing lock down. I have a heap of Australian DVD with me and I want to be able to hire DVD from the Shops over here. Any help greatlyfully recieved.

Thanks,
Karl

hawker
5th July 2006, 07:51 AM
That's really interesting that it wanted a region change - Region 2 UK and Region 4 (Aus) both being PAL are suppose to be back compatible.

I'd be interested to know if there is a 'hack' for this. If not VLC will play anything :)

plod2
5th July 2006, 08:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 5 2006, 07&#58;51 AM) 191898</div>

That&#39;s really interesting that it wanted a region change - Region 2 UK and Region 4 (Aus) both being PAL are suppose to be back compatible.

I&#39;d be interested to know if there is a &#39;hack&#39; for this. If not VLC will play anything :)
[/b]
Even if both regions are pal the regions are still different, so the reason for region change.
Find out what dvd drive you have in the imac and search for a firmware workaround, unfortunitly I have only seen a couple for the mac most are windows

step_andy
5th July 2006, 08:31 AM
I don&#39;t think that there is a simple solution.

I am just thinking aloud...as a workaround, can you boot into XP (via Boot Camp) and play Region 2 DVDs from there and Region 4 from Mac side?

Just a thought

stefanlod
5th July 2006, 08:33 AM
If all else fails, get a universal DVD player - I have a great Pioneer one which lets me play my treasured [American] Frasier DVDs which I bought on Amazon.

Btw, are regions going to be integrated into the new DVD formats?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Jul 5 2006, 08&#58;31 AM) 191903</div>

I am just thinking aloud...as a workaround, can you boot into XP (via Boot Camp) and play Region 2 DVDs from there and Region 4 from Mac side?

Just a thought
[/b]

I remember trying to change the region on a PC with WinDVD - it told me that I could only change the region x number of times, even if I re-installed the OS. So maybe that part is a firmware thing?

homodelphinus
5th July 2006, 08:43 AM
Most software DVD players allow only a certain amount of changes before staying set at the last region. Download and use VLC as it is not restrcited by regional encoding. http://www.videolan.org/
It can also play other viedo formats etc

tintinaujapon
5th July 2006, 09:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stefanlod &#064; Jul 5 2006, 06&#58;33 AM) 191904</div>

Btw, are regions going to be integrated into the new DVD formats?[/b]

I think not. I remember reading that both next generation camps agreed that region encoding had done little to prevent piracy and had instead simply mightily annoyed the customer.

hawker
5th July 2006, 09:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plod2 &#064; Jul 5 2006, 07&#58;39 AM) 191900</div>

Even if both regions are pal the regions are still different, so the reason for region change.
[/b]

That&#39;s really interesting, because I have many UK DVD&#39;s in my collection "Goodnight Sweetheart" "The Bill" etc and none of them need the region changed on my iMac G4 or Mac Mini.

Gerbils
5th July 2006, 09:31 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 5 2006, 09&#58;18 AM) 191920</div>

That&#39;s really interesting, because I have many UK DVD&#39;s in my collection "Goodnight Sweetheart" "The Bill" etc and none of them need the region changed on my iMac G4 or Mac Mini.
[/b]

A lot of UK DVDs are encoded for both region 2 and 4. (I have quite a few like this).

hawker
5th July 2006, 09:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gerbils &#064; Jul 5 2006, 09&#58;01 AM) 191927</div>

A lot of UK DVDs are encoded for both region 2 and 4. (I have quite a few like this).
[/b]

Oh, so they are back compatible, interesting :P

samuelowens
5th July 2006, 10:16 AM
If you&#39;ve got a Pioneer DVD drive, there is probably region free firmware available.

However, if it&#39;s a Matshita drive, you&#39;re out of luck. The VLC workaround won&#39;t work for newer Matshita drives, and thus it will need to be replaced (or an external region free drive used).

samuelowens
5th July 2006, 10:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(step_andy &#064; Jul 5 2006, 08&#58;31 AM) 191903</div>

Just a thought
[/b]

No - because the region coding is set within the drive itself, in addition to OSX.

(The reason why VLC used to work is that on older Matshita drives, VLC got in before the drive could run its own region check. Recently Matshita rewrote the firmware to ensure that the drive ran a region check before any software could access it. Hence region free firmware is now required).

patcanuck
5th July 2006, 10:48 AM
Damn. I was just going to ask a similar thing since I just got my MacBook and it has already come up with the notice about regional codes and says it will be set once I have used it five times. I was hoping there was a simple way around this. :(

plod2
5th July 2006, 11:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 5 2006, 09&#58;32 AM) 191928</div>

Oh, so they are back compatible, interesting :P
[/b]
That&#39;s not back compatible, that is multi region, :P

hawker
5th July 2006, 11:34 AM
I&#39;d call it &#39;marrying across the PAL&#39;s&#39;

Interesting thing, my "Thin Blue Line" DVD says Region 2 + 4 on the back, "The Bill" and "Goodnight Sweetheart" only say Region 2. Yet they work fine :P

plod2
5th July 2006, 11:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 5 2006, 11&#58;34 AM) 191969</div>

I&#39;d call it &#39;marrying across the PAL&#39;s&#39;

Interesting thing, my "Thin Blue Line" DVD says Region 2 + 4 on the back, "The Bill" and "Goodnight Sweetheart" only say Region 2. Yet they work fine :P
[/b]
You never heard of multiregion dvd players?
I have dvd&#39;s that are both pal and ntsc

hawker
5th July 2006, 11:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(plod2 &#064; Jul 5 2006, 11&#58;18 AM) 191974</div>

You never heard of multiregion dvd players?
I have dvd&#39;s that are both pal and ntsc
[/b]

WOW, I never knew my dvd players in my iMac and Mac Mini were multi-region. I thought thats what this thread was about, the dvd players in computers, not actual dvd players? I must revise my thoughts on this thread... Oh hold on, this is about computers :P

Hence my point, my region 2 dvd&#39;s work fine in both my iMac and Mac Mini.

paulhek
5th July 2006, 12:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcanuck &#064; Jul 5 2006, 10&#58;48 AM) 191953</div>

Damn. I was just going to ask a similar thing since I just got my MacBook and it has already come up with the notice about regional codes and says it will be set once I have used it five times. I was hoping there was a simple way around this. :(
[/b]
only way around it , is to reinstall tiger. hehe

Byrd
5th July 2006, 12:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulhek &#064; Jul 5 2006, 12&#58;28 PM) 191985</div>

only way around it , is to reinstall tiger. hehe
[/b]

I don&#39;t think that will work - the region encoding is stored on the drive&#39;s firmware, not through software. Use Apple System Profiler and see what drive you have, then search around for a replacement firmware that unlocks all regions.

JB

Silver
5th July 2006, 12:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tintinaujapon &#064; Jul 5 2006, 09&#58;17 AM) 191919</div>

I think not. I remember reading that both next generation camps agreed that region encoding had done little to prevent piracy and had instead simply mightily annoyed the customer.
[/b]

Are you sure? The point of region coding had nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with making money. Doesn&#39;t seem to me to be something that would be easily given up.

JimWOz
5th July 2006, 01:24 PM
The bottom line to this appears to be that new Matshita drives defeat VLC, so region coding becomes a problem for us all with a new mac purchase, unless we employ MTR to make a local region 4 backup of every out of region disk we buy.
So this may finally result in OSX friendly firmware flashing software for Matshita (and other) drives through demand/need.

It may now be prudent to keep an older drive for use in an external case when buying a new machine, so VLC can still be used to beat the region coding.

Johnny Appleseed
5th July 2006, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gerbils &#064; Jul 5 2006, 09&#58;31 AM) 191927</div>

[/b]
I&#39;m pretty sure region 2 encoding is identical to region 4. The only difference is the labelling. Must be easier for the manufacturers to do all PAL ones the same.

downsys
5th July 2006, 03:07 PM
what&#39;s the actual idea behind all these region encodings? why can&#39;t they just agree on one format and stick to it? (apart from monetary-greed reasons)

one drawback of using vlc on ur intel mac would be that u can&#39;t use frontrow, but it&#39;s better than not being able to view ur dvds.

toholio
5th July 2006, 04:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(downsys &#064; Jul 5 2006, 03&#58;07 PM) 192033</div>

what&#39;s the actual idea behind all these region encodings? why can&#39;t they just agree on one format and stick to it? (apart from monetary-greed reasons)
[/b]

There really isn&#39;t any idea behind them apart from the "monetary-greed reasons". It&#39;s just an easy way to enforce different prices in different markets. There is nothing different in the format of DVDs from different regions, it&#39;s purely a flag that says "only play this disc if you are in the following region".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcanuck &#064; Jul 5 2006, 10&#58;48 AM) 191953</div>

[/b]

The simplest way to avoid all this hassle is to rip every DVD you buy (strip CSS, disable Macrovision and unmagle RCE at the same time) and then burn the ripped copy. This also has the advantage of allowing you to store the original safely out of harms way. You&#39;ll be breaking the law but, well, you&#39;ve probably taped something off TV at some point too. ;-)

downsys
5th July 2006, 04:33 PM
and we speak of &#39;globalisation&#39;? :(

mechcon
5th July 2006, 05:02 PM
what a crock of shit&#33;&#33;

I find it a stupid thing for there to be regions, which basically means, if there&#39;s a movie an individual is prepared to purchase that isn&#39;t available in region 4, lets say Invader Zim. we have to succumb to &#39;alternative measures&#39; to procure such content...

It feels like there&#39;s forces stopping other nations/regions from watching certain movies/tvshows....

timdotexe
5th July 2006, 05:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 5 2006, 11&#58;53 AM) 191976</div>

WOW, I never knew my dvd players in my iMac and Mac Mini were multi-region. I thought thats what this thread was about, the dvd players in computers, not actual dvd players? I must revise my thoughts on this thread... Oh hold on, this is about computers :P

Hence my point, my region 2 dvd&#39;s work fine in both my iMac and Mac Mini.
[/b]

You will find that often the UK release of dvds are region 2/4. Expecially BBC and TV series it seems. This does not mean that all region 2 dvds are region 2 and 4 though, in fact i think you will find that many are not.

If you have ever mastered a dvd you have the option to select a region, several regions or no regional encoding.

On another note, Region 2 also covers JAPAN. This is good news for me because it means my UK region 4 and my AUS region 2/4 Doctor Who dvds play on my JAP Xbox 360... and that is obviously one of the more important things in life :)

patcanuck
5th July 2006, 05:45 PM
Did toholio actually say "every DVD you buy"???????????????????? :)

plod2
5th July 2006, 06:50 PM
What software are you using to play the dvd&#39;s Hawker? VLC . There has to be a reason why you can play region 2 disc&#39;s in your mac&#39;s.
DVD FAQ (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html) this site is quite old but has been updated, It&#39;s been sitting in my favorites for a few years

hawker
5th July 2006, 06:52 PM
Apple&#39;s DVD player - never asked for a region change yet (I have only ever played Region 2 and 4 DVD&#39;s).

My Thin blue Line DVD also worked in an xbox&#33;

toholio
5th July 2006, 07:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(patcanuck &#064; Jul 5 2006, 05&#58;45 PM) 192083</div>

Did toholio actually say "every DVD you buy"???????????????????? :)
[/b]

Yes I did. If you buy foreign DVDs or if you just don&#39;t want to damage your domestic ones, a non-crippled backup is the best way to go.

plod2
5th July 2006, 07:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawker &#064; Jul 5 2006, 06&#58;52 PM) 192103</div>

Apple&#39;s DVD player - never asked for a region change yet (I have only ever played Region 2 and 4 DVD&#39;s).

My Thin blue Line DVD also worked in an xbox&#33;
[/b]
Has your region 2 dvd got a D code (http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.46) on it

Kuma
5th July 2006, 09:14 PM
I have an ext. DVD drive which is region code 1 and the notebook drive is region 4.
this doesnt help me totally as I currently reside in region 3.

I f&#036;@king hate region coding.....

macdonald
5th July 2006, 09:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(toholio &#064; Jul 5 2006, 03&#58;52 PM) 192059</div>

There really isn&#39;t any idea behind them apart from the "monetary-greed reasons". It&#39;s just an easy way to enforce different prices in different markets. There is nothing different in the format of DVDs from different regions, it&#39;s purely a flag that says "only play this disc if you are in the following region".
[/b]

Release dates of movies in theaters in different countries may have had an influence initially. When I was living in the US sometimes the DVD would come out before the movie had even shown in Australia. I think they were/are trying to protect their box office receipts.

It still sucks though, music CD&#39;s are universally (globally) playable <_<

tintinaujapon
5th July 2006, 10:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Silver &#064; Jul 5 2006, 10&#58;54 AM) 191993</div>

Are you sure? The point of region coding had nothing to do with piracy, and everything to do with making money. Doesn&#39;t seem to me to be something that would be easily given up.
[/b]

It was about greed - an attempt to control the rollout of movies across the globe and prevent DVD sales undermining box office sales. And it was about anti-piracy, making it as difficult as possible for people to control the media as they see fit.

It was at the DVD Forum Japan Conference 2005 that they mentioned abandoning region encoding:

...one statement from Toshiba Digital Media Networks&#39; Hisashi Yamada was particularly intriguing: "We&#39;ve gotten a variety of opinions about region controls. Even in the Steering Committee, they are extremely unpopular; we decided to not put them in. HD DVD probably won&#39;t contain any region playback controls." [/b]

http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/07/no-regi...des-for-hd-dvd/ (http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/07/no-region-codes-for-hd-dvd/)

Also this:

Interesting developments in the HD-DVD world suggest that the new high definition format may not feature region coding ...The big news is that the drive will not check for region coding - given Toshiba are the main name behind the HD-DVD format this is as strong a sign as any that HD-DVD will not be locked to regions.[/b]

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60715

On the other hand, while looking for this information, I found numerous mentions of region encoding changes to Blu-Ray discs. Japan will apparently be in the same region as the Americas or something. Meaning that Australia will lose the only other region we&#39;ve shared encoding with to date, South America - for all those Portuguese and Spanish sit-coms we know and love. Not to mention the Latin American hunger for Home & Away and Backyard Blitz.

Woody Mann-Caruso
6th July 2006, 03:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimWOz &#064; Jul 5 2006, 01&#58;24 PM) 192001</div>

unless we employ MTR to make a local region 4 backup of every out of region disk we buy.
[/b]

Hrm. I tried to play my R1 copy of "Once Upon A Time In Mexico" in my 20" Intel iMac (Matshita drive), and got the Region Map of Death (you know - the map of the world divided up with fat red lines, and a message telling you to politely f*** off). No message to change the region. Closed DVD Player, fired up VLC 0.8.5, and it played fine.

Tried again with an R1 copy of "12 Monkeys". Got prompted to change the region. Hit Cancel. Bypassed autoplay, fired up VLC again, and tried to play it - still no go. Ripped to VIDEO_TS with MTR, but that won&#39;t play either - I get the very first language selection menu, then nada.

I wonder what it is about Mexico that makes it playable under VLC, while Monkeys just throws dung at me? Have to try some other R1 titles in MTR over the weekend.

alcurtis
15th June 2007, 05:01 PM
June 15, 2007

Hello,

I'm from Australia and had been living in the USA for 4 years. I had already used up my 5 region code changes to my PowerBook G4 15".
I had it locked to Region 1 (USA)

Now I have permanently moved back to Australia, I was having the same frustrations as heaps of people out there.

This is what I did today that enabled me to have 5 more changes.

My drive was locked to Region 1 (USA)

I inserted a Region 4 DVD.
DVD player opened telling me I could not play this disk and gave me the Eject option only. I left it running.

Then I opened Toast (V 7.1)
And chose the copy Tab
Then chose Save as Disc Image from the File Menu

This ripped the disk to an external Hard drive.

I then chose the Copy tab again

Selected Image File from the left hand "drawer"

I selected the file I just ripped

And then chose Mount

To my utter AMAZEMENT, it offered me the option to change my Region, telling me I could only change it 5 times.

So I selected Region 4, and now all my Aussie DVD's play in my PB

Hope this helps some people with the frustrations of the limited regions.

Cheers,

Alan

PS Running

System Version:Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P135)
Kernel Version: Darwin 8.9.0

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825:

Firmware Revision: DAM5
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

KerryM
7th August 2008, 10:08 PM
Hi - Can anyone recommend an external DVD player for an iMac. I had a guest at a party recently accidently make the final region change on my DVD player and now I am region locked to the UK [which is OK for my small UK collection] and useless for my Australian collection.

Thanks!

KerryM
7th August 2008, 10:14 PM
To my utter AMAZEMENT, it offered me the option to change my Region, telling me I could only change it 5 times.

Hi Alan - Do you think that would work with an iMac? I don't know what kind of DVD player it is?

Thanks.