PDA

View Full Version : iPod, USB 2.0, iTunes

decryption
8th November 2004, 08:44 AM
Is the iPod supposed to mount via USB 2.0 on a Mac?
I just plugged my iPod into the iBook via USB 2.0, and it doesn't mount on the desktop or show up in iTunes. Am I doing something wrong? I've only ever used it with FireWire :P

iSlayer
8th November 2004, 08:51 AM
works on my g5

decryption
8th November 2004, 09:07 AM
How do I get it to work on my iBook? :\

iSlayer
8th November 2004, 09:09 AM
i dont know
could it be a bus power issue.
ive heard the stories about the usb bus on ibooks not being very powerful
try it on a desktop mac and if it works then you will know what the issue is

markh
8th November 2004, 09:11 AM
This really begs the question though, why are you using USB 2.0 rather than firewire ;-)

decryption
8th November 2004, 09:25 AM
Well, I'm using the USB cable because I'm at TAFE and have my USB 2.0 cable with me, not my FireWire one.

There is enough bus power, because it does charge the iPod when plugged in, but doesn't mount it....

gaehl
8th November 2004, 09:31 AM
decryption it works on my ibook here a iBook G4 800, so it should work i dont know why it isnt.

king89
8th November 2004, 09:37 AM
This may seem obvious.
Which iBook is it? Does it have a USB 2.0 plug, as the iPod won't mount with a USB 1 plug.

decryption
8th November 2004, 09:39 AM
It's a 1GHz G4 iBook... It has USB 2.0 ports.

decryption
8th November 2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by gaehl@Nov 8 2004, 09:31 AM
decryption it works on my ibook here a iBook G4 800, so it should work i dont know why it isnt.
Is there a special setting or something you need to enable?
I plug mine in and it just starts charging it, doesn't mount it at all....

spargo
8th November 2004, 10:37 AM
Hi all,

Decryption - I posted something a few weeks ago about my faulty FW400 connection between my PB G4 15" and my iPod - both are only 3 months old.. Same problem as yours - iPod charging as normal but not automatically iSyncing like it was meant to or mounting onto desktop and into Finder.

I then switched to USB 2.0 and have just tonight been having the same problem with the USB cable as I did on the FW. This finally proves that it may infact be the iPod that is playing up and not the FW port alone.. When manually reset the iPod (holding Menu and Click-Whl button), it seems to wake up to itself and talk to the laptop on FW, but is lost again soon after following completion of the sync's..

I have called the Apple Help Number over here and was asked to send the PB AND iPod to Holland for check-up and repairs.. However I've decided to hold off until they open the Apple Retail store here in 2 weeks where they do Waranty repairs/checks in-store by Apple technicians. Will let you know what happens - in the meantime I can only suggest you call them and seek advice. Or get a friends cable to determine if there is something wrong with the cable or if it the iPod itself like I beleive mine is....

decryption
8th November 2004, 12:07 PM
My iPod works fine with FireWire, but it just doesn't mount on my Mac with USB 2.0... what an odd problem.

jobe
8th November 2004, 12:21 PM
my 3rd gen Ipod mounts with usb2.0 on my ibook... doesn't charge though. Have you tried other USB ports? (your ibook has two right?)

Jmi
8th November 2004, 03:05 PM
Try using the ipod with usb on other machines.
1. ipod works on firewire on ur mac. thus ipod is fine
2. ipod charging with usb thus the cable is fine

the other other alternative is to try usb on other machines to see if it mount / detects over usb. could be ur usb ports is faulty? Of cos you can try connection devices with usb on ur mac to see if your port is ok.

anyways
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60950

decryption
8th November 2004, 04:52 PM
Well, I got home from TAFE, plugged my iPod in to the iBook, on mains power, and it mounts via USB 2.0.
I unplugged the power, ejected, remounted the drive, works fine.
So... it's magically working now, but didn't at TAFE. I have absolutley no idea why, but it did. However, around 2 hours ago, I was listening to it on the train, and it rebooted randomly. Maybe that reboot corrected something and let it mount over USB 2.0.

How peculiar....

spargo
18th November 2004, 08:20 PM
as i reported above, i am still having trouble with my iPod syncing and mounting - whether it is via USB 2.0 or FW400 cable to/from my P'Book..

but, as you reported, doing an iPod re-boot (holding down menu and click-button for a bit) either intentionally or randomly as you said, seems to refresh its brain and then it syncs/mounts again.. having to do this every day isn't good enough for my liking, so my ipod will be going back to the new London Apple Retail Store here next week for a check-up..

decryption - i'll post what happens after my repair appointment at the store's Genius Bar ..

Fino_Mac
5th August 2005, 09:44 PM
I just encountered the same problem today. However after rebooting it (thanks guys) it works. I want to see if i have to keep on doing this, or this was a one-time problem. Anyway thanks a bundle guys!!!

Fino

LCGuy
5th August 2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by king89@Nov 8 2004, 09:37 AM
This may seem obvious.
Which iBook is it? Does it have a USB 2.0 plug, as the iPod won't mount with a USB 1 plug.
Yes it will, i've used it on my iMac, which only has USB 1, and it mounts fine. I can provide a screenshot as proof, too. :)