PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Ti repairer needed - broken hinge

omelette
4th July 2006, 11:43 AM
Hi

Does anyone know a reliable person who can replace a broken hinge on my PowerBook Ti in the Sydney region?

I dropped it in Brisbane the other day and the left hand hinge broke. I went into an Apple reseller in Brisbane to be told that the hinge couldn't be replaced on its own and that I would need to replace the whole screen costing $1,500! As I was flying back to Sydney later that day I decided wait and see what other (cheaper) options may be available.

Trying the PowerBook back at home I found that the Mac works and the screen is fine albeit with the left hand side of the screen supported by a small box. However, this does limit the portability of the laptop and is only a short-term fix.

Having googled PowerBook Ti hinges I see that they can be replaced, but it's not a job for the faint-hearted.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Cheers

Mctastic
4th July 2006, 12:25 PM
it is mostly true since apple don't sell the section that is part of the back lid of the powerbook. the hinge itself would not have broken. i've had a few of these totally sieze up such that it caused the lid to break. titanium as well is not easily repairable if at all and is pretty damn expensive.
i suppose you would have better luck bying just the screen/lid off somebody who's ti has packed up.

edit: u hink you can post a pic of the damaged section?

omelette
4th July 2006, 01:40 PM
edit: u hink you can post a pic of the damaged section?[/b]
Hi Mctastic

Thanks for the rely. I've posted images below. The rod in the hinge has seized up and half the hinge is still in the LCD housing. I removed the broken hinge to allow the lid to be closed without being warped during transit.

Mctastic
4th July 2006, 01:57 PM
so true. it looks like it's a 3 or 4 piece unit. i know the one i looked at broke as a result of the hinge seizing up, but in my customers case, he did break/bend the section that joined the lcd. Apple repairs claim(and i think true, for Apple at least) that it comes as part of the lcd replacement.
i'm glad if you are able to get the hinge etc, to do the replacement for you. the worst thing, it may require straightening of the metal at the corner. judging from the pic, there is a slight gap as a result of it seizing, i'd say. an idea is to maybe purchase 2 hinges. the customer i refer to eventually went to Europe on holiday, and it didn't take long for the other hinge to seize as well(can't think why for the life of me). In the uk he paid 1200 for his replacement/repair!! well done in removing it before it caused other damage.

Mctastic

pipsqeek
4th July 2006, 04:21 PM
I have a mate who bought one of the first TiBook's. And dropped a Swiss Ball on it the first day he had it. Iduno how, but he did. And the PB was open and operating at the time. Snapped the hindges.

Since then, he's always trying to source screens. As this is the only way to get the hindges. :(

Good luck with it all.

pipsqeek

Byrd
4th July 2006, 04:49 PM
Ouch. (http://geekspeak.org/articles/19/) Looks like third-party hinges can be expensive - you'll be paying anywhere from $100 - 400 AUD for a new set. I'd shop around and buy the cheapest hinges you can (probably from the US), and get someone here to install them for you if you're unsure. Otherwise, if you take the PB into a reseller, you'll pay a very hefty fee.

JB

froggy
4th July 2006, 04:56 PM
Not quite Sydney. In fact, nowhere near Sydney, but I keep hearing excellent reports about Michael at Bega, Apple. Phone number is (02) 6492 5772

I have no personal experience with him and have no connection to him.

Cheers,
Andrew

omelette
6th July 2006, 05:32 PM
As I'm relying on public transport at the moment this could be problematic! :rolleyes:

iktpq
11th July 2006, 08:48 PM
I've got this same issue, it's a second hand laptop from a mate, who hadn't used it in 2 years since he got a $1200 quote from apple to replace the screen.. I took it off his hands one day, charged it, and it still worked. I've had it for about three weeks, and the PB became so flimsy (even from folding the lid), that the second hinge has broken. For a few days screen worked fine propped up, but all of a sudden it's gone white, as in startup screen white, and nothing else. I'll post pics of this tonight. :unsure:

konni
1st November 2006, 12:33 PM
A client is offering me a PB with broken hinge in lieu of payment ($360) 8(
I'm thinking this is not such a good deal now. I suppose it's not possible to use something creative like araldyte on some other kind of stiff hinge arrangement OR gaffer tape OR something?