PDA

View Full Version : MacBookPro woes

gizo
3rd July 2006, 02:54 PM
Okay. So I've had my MBP since early June, and it's been lovely.
BUT.

There's 2 things. Let's start with the small.
I noticed a small patch of what looked like dead pixels, a roughly square patch of about 1mm x 1mm. I instincively reached out to them, and gently massaged the screen for a moment (I may have read something about that at sometime) and the patch went away. Is that normal? Or is it a sign that bad things are coming?

Secondly, I am still not happy with my speakers. We tried to watch a DVD in bed last night - "O Brother where art thou?", and there were vast amounts of dialogue that were really hard to hear. The speakers sounded like they were distorted as all getout. Is that 'normal behaviour' for the MBP speakers? Because it is shit. I understand the sound quality isn't going to be great, but surely they should be able to play freaking movie dialogue!??!?

Anyone?

(Also, what's region 2 encoding??)

purana
3rd July 2006, 03:01 PM
All the intel based machines I have had access too (mbp and mac mini duo) both have really stupid audio sound volumes... basically what use to be really low on a G4 seems to be half way on intel box sound volume (and anything below this is useless as you cant hear it). And of course full loud volume is still not great, and distorts.

Hopefully thats fixed with a firmware patch in time..

Musky
3rd July 2006, 03:04 PM
Region 2 is for UK and Ireland, you should be on Region 4 for Australia

gizo
3rd July 2006, 03:07 PM
i thought region 1 was UK? Crazy.. (I only own about 4 DVDs, so I know stuff all about this)

edit: Oh, and thanks Purana... It shits me that I can't watch a freaking movie properly...

edit2: thanks for the list, o Musky one. I know I could have found that myself, but this is a much friendlier Google that the other one.

Musky
3rd July 2006, 03:12 PM
* Region 1 - The U.S., U.S. territories and Canada
* Region 2 - Europe, Japan, the Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland
* Region 3 - Taiwan, Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong
* Region 4 - Mexico, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean
* Region 5 - Russia (okay, former Russia), Eastern Europe, India, most of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia
* Region 6 - China

There you go :)

gizo
4th July 2006, 09:38 AM
Update: Last night, we watched the same bit of movie on both the MBP, and the old Compaq.

And frankly, in comparison, the MBP sucked majorly. The compaq sound was clear and undistorted - the MBP sound was shit. crap. distorted as all crapola.

This can't be 'normal', surely?

Are there any MBP owners/sellers out there who can put a movie on and actually make out the dialogue?
I'm just about ready to take this back to the store I got it from, to compare it to the other laptops. It's starting to bug me, alot.

And for the record - I don't expect superb sound quality, but I also don't expect to pay $3gorillas for speakers that can't handle movie dialogue. That's too sub-par.

pipsqeek
4th July 2006, 10:24 AM
I guess that's the price you pay when buying hardware that just came out. Instead of waiting for Revision B or something higher.

Regarding the speakers. There sounds like there is definitely something wrong.

My old 14" iBook speakers sounds great. And I can use them whenever, and people usully comment on how loud and clear those little speakers are.

Having never owned a MacBook or MacBook Pro. I can't say what they should be like. But low volume and distortion sounds like a bad preamp/soundcard thing. Sounds like the amp is clipping rather then the speakers distorting. Clipping is when the amp is driven too hard, and the sound wave hits a peak and squares off, instead of this nice smooth wave like line.

I'd have to hear it to say for certain. But that's what I reckon it appears to be.

scruffie
4th July 2006, 10:39 AM
I haven't had a problem with my macbook pro speakers. I find them alot louder and clearer than my old iBook G4 12".

f1_power
4th July 2006, 11:38 AM
I know it sounds obvious - but make sure you have volume levels set correctly on both System AND DVD player.

If this doesn't work - try downloading VLC and set the volume in that and see if there is any difference playing a DVD because all MBPs i have seen seem reasonably good with sound.

gizo
4th July 2006, 12:34 PM
Already have VLC - sound is no better.
I'll try the system settings, but I'm doubtful. It's a fresh install, so really, it should 'just work'.

napes
4th July 2006, 12:59 PM
Bad news gringo - it's never nice when a new toy doesn't work as you expect it to.
To echo Pips - my old G4 iBook 14" whilst hardly HiFi or loud is completely suitable for watching DVDs with clear audio. We take it away camping and it's fine. I reckon a trip back to the store is in order - perhaps even compare it to some others in the store?

gizo
5th July 2006, 10:15 AM
Yeah. We're headed back to the store as soon as I can get some free time.
Wah. I'm also pissed I didn't look more into it during the first two weeks.
Should've known better......

patcanuck
5th July 2006, 05:19 PM
It's no macbook pro but I just got delivery of my MacBook and am more than happy with the speakers. Been watching a heap of movies already and have no problem with the sound and LOVE the screen quality.

latch24
5th July 2006, 05:26 PM
I have a MBP and have spent the last week catching up on all the dvds i've been wanting to watch. I've had no issues with sound quality at all. I love it... especially my remote. No more getting out of bed to adjust the volume!

MadMuggle
6th July 2006, 03:09 PM
Does the MBP come with a remote?!

gizo
6th July 2006, 03:28 PM
Took it back to the shop I got it from today. It sounded just like the ones on display. But still bad.
I'm not convinced, or perhaps, I'm not happy. If that's the best it's going to get, I'm pretty pissed off. I mean, it's meant to be a 'pro' computer. I'll try to listen to some others before I go hassling Decryption any more. He's probably sick of hearing from me.... :P

sky
6th July 2006, 07:51 PM
just a thought....... u said u watched the same movie during these try-outs. could it be partly the movie u are playing. i know u prob already have, but try testing it out with another movie.
Also there may be a couple of places u can adjust audio levels. if the preamp is set incorrectly, then this may cause distortion......just have a little look around for audio level adjustments

good luck

aswitcher
6th July 2006, 08:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadMuggle &#064; Jul 6 2006, 03&#58;09 PM) 192427</div>

Does the MBP come with a remote?&#33;
[/b]

Yes.