PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Buying a MacBook Pro

Crazy88
2nd July 2006, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I have been reading your forum for a few weeks now, as a part of my education in entering the "Apple world" and moving away from my PC. I have wanted an Apple laptop for over a year now, but recently was given the opportunity to do a salary-sacrafice through work (with great tax benefits), so I have made the decision to get one within the next week or two.

I am currently trying to decide between the following two laptpos:

1) MacBook Pro, 2Ghz CPU, 128 Mb graphics card
2) MacBook Pro, 2.16 Ghz CPU, 256 Mb graphics card.

I will be using the laptop mainly for everyday use (internet, email etc) but also do a fair bit of photography processing (planning on purchasing Aperature with the laptop), and also dabble in some video work as well as web design. I also would like to use Bootcamp to have the laptop dual-boot if possible. Given some threads I have read here, I will buy the minimum RAM from Apple, and buy 3rd party RAM, which seems to be much cheaper and works just as well if you buy the right product.

So, what are your thoughts? Is the extra $800 or so for laptop number 2 really worth it? Thanks in advance for your advice B)

hawker
2nd July 2006, 12:44 PM
Bigger is better, plus it should last you a bit longer. Every time I buy a mac, I buy the top of the line, and never regret it (well I guess the 12" powerbook was not really top of the line, but still).

pipsqeek
2nd July 2006, 12:45 PM
Considering that you are going to use Aperture and get into photography. Pay the extra and get the second one.

Also, something to consider is that these bits (CPU and Video) can't be upgraded. And look at how much you're saving with salary sacrifce, you still might end up saving money, even with the higher specced model. :)

pipsqeek

step_andy
2nd July 2006, 12:51 PM
For $800 you are getting:
- extra 512 MB RAM
- extra 20 GB HD space
- extra 128 MB video RAM
- small bump in speed

Thing to note that 1 GB ram comes in one stick - read, good. To upgrade to 2 GB you would need to get one extra stick. Wheras with 512 in lower spec one, you will need to buy 2 x 1 GB sticks and sell 512 one, read, hassle.
In order to claim Tax deduction on your PB RAM, it must be purchased at the same time (might be wrong though).

Hope it helps

sunrisesister
2nd July 2006, 12:55 PM
Yep, i agree, go the whole hog, you wont regret it!

Have you 'test-driven' a MBP at an Apple Store yet?

purana
2nd July 2006, 01:43 PM
The macbook pro's are very fast... my wifes machine with more ram just screams along. Makes the old g4 look like a snail

gizo
2nd July 2006, 03:03 PM
Dont forget to factor in the extended warranty, it's a must.
And also, if you buy from a reseller, be nice to them, and they might be able to provide you with the extra RAM and warranty all under the one item on yr invoice(good for Salary Sacrifice/Packaging).

FreeFrag
2nd July 2006, 03:11 PM
I wub my 17" 2.16Ghz MBP. The 256Mb Graphics plays UT2K4 nicely too :)

aswitcher
2nd July 2006, 03:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Crazy88 &#064; Jul 2 2006, 12&#58;42 PM) 190996</div>

So, what are your thoughts? Is the extra &#036;800 or so for laptop number 2 really worth it? Thanks in advance for your advice B)
[/b]

I would recommend getting 2 gigs of ram rather than the higher speced machine if an issue of cost.

NB Apperture isn&#39;t intel native...

A word of caution. Salary packaging will want an invoice with only 1 item. If you add other stuff like Apple care and its listed seperately then it wont be included in the packaging.

wilba
2nd July 2006, 03:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aswitcher &#064; Jul 2 2006, 03&#58;48 PM) 191033</div>

NB Apperture isn&#39;t intel native...

[/b]

Yes it is, from version 1.1

gizo
2nd July 2006, 04:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aswitcher &#064; Jul 2 2006, 03&#58;48 PM) 191033</div>

A word of caution. Salary packaging will want an invoice with only 1 item. If you add other stuff like Apple care and its listed seperately then it wont be included in the packaging.
[/b]
Which is why you buy it from a friendly reseller, who can write it up as one item on your invoice. (quick nod to decryption ;))

new2mac
2nd July 2006, 04:32 PM
I&#39;d go the whole hog too. More is more.
Aperture is Intel native now i think. And cheaper than it once was.
BUT no Adobe products are native yet. So no Photoshop until around the second quarter of 2007. That&#39;s the only reason I&#39;m waiting.
Although you could use Bootcamp & PS in Windows.

samuelowens
2nd July 2006, 06:17 PM
Don&#39;t forget that the old model MBPs are still available on Apple&#39;s website for &#036;2799 and &#036;3599. While not the steal that they were a couple of weeks ago, they make fine buying if you don&#39;t need the minor speed increase... These are the same specs as the current models except that they have a 1.83GHz and a 2.0GHz processor respectively.

Crazy88
2nd July 2006, 10:55 PM
Wow. Thanks a lot for all the advice everyone :)

I have just placed an order for my new MacBook Pro&#33; Hopefully, if all goes well, I will have it when I return from my holidays.

Thanks again :D

Crazy
7th August 2006, 05:59 AM