PDA

View Full Version : Is my MacBook Pro using too much memory?

adam89
1st July 2006, 08:20 AM
Hey Guys,

I have a MacBook Pro 15" with 1GB of RAM and running 10.4.7, I have noticed that it uses ALOT of memory...

e.g. At the moment i am running Finder, Mail, Firefox, Frostwire, iTunes, Microsoft Messenger and Colloquy and it is using 1006Mb of memory...

Is that right?

aswitcher
1st July 2006, 08:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maj3stic &#064; Jul 1 2006, 08&#58;20 AM) 190561</div>

Hey Guys,

I have a MacBook Pro 15" with 1GB of RAM and running 10.4.7, I have noticed that it uses ALOT of memory...

e.g. At the moment i am running Finder, Mail, Firefox, Frostwire, iTunes, Microsoft Messenger and Colloquy and it is using 1006Mb of memory...

Is that right?
[/b]

Sure. How much is active (yellow)?

I have 2 gigs and 1.18 used with itunes,mail,ichat,safari,widgets,addressbook

adam89
1st July 2006, 09:41 AM
Okay not too sure what you mean by active (yellow), but i will definately be upgrading to 2GB :)

iSlayer
1st July 2006, 09:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maj3stic &#064; Jul 1 2006, 09&#58;41 AM) 190586</div>

Okay not too sure what you mean by active (yellow), but i will definately be upgrading to 2GB :)
[/b]

under the "System Memory" tab of activity monitor there is an "Active" value.Active memory means its reserved by an app and is still needed

The only 2 values you need to worry about are active and wired.

Inactive memory was or is in use by an app but its no longer needed so other apps can use it when needed

DJY
1st July 2006, 04:43 PM
I&#39;m thinking of upgrading to 2GB as well.
aswitcher - have you always had 2GB or did you start with less?

I currently have 1GB - and was wondering whether or not I would notice much difference?

Johnny Appleseed
2nd July 2006, 03:02 AM
OS X will pretty much take everything you&#39;ve got, and share it among apps as needed. So even if you upgrade to 2GB you&#39;ll probably notice most of it is being used. Of course the more RAM the merrier, but if you&#39;re only using a half-dozen Internet apps you probably only need 1GB.

gelfie
2nd July 2006, 04:52 AM
Free memory is wasted memory. The more the OS uses the better. It uses it to cache disk usage, applications and parts of applications, images. You name it.

The instant RAM is needed for something important, that something important gets it.

OS X has very very smooth memory management.

dshan
2nd July 2006, 06:39 AM
In a word - Rosetta. Messenger is using it, I don&#39;t know about the other non-Apple apps you&#39;re running (I presume you&#39;re running UB Firefox). Intel Macs typically use more memory than PPC Macs when running non-native apps because then Rosetta is used, and it caches as much of the translated code from the non-native apps as possible to improve performance. As more UB apps appear you should see memory usage drop (though of course by then 10.5 will be out and new UB apps will often have new memory-hogging "features" added over their non-UB predecessors).

Squozen
2nd July 2006, 10:41 AM
What you want to do to see whether more RAM will benefit you is:

- Open Activity Monitor (in Applications/Utilities)
- Click the System Memory tab

Now, look at the Page ins/outs section. If the second number is 0, that means your machine has not swapped a single byte from RAM to your hard drive. Expanding memory is therefore fairly pointless (you might see a very small speedup due to OS X caching more of the data on your hard drive, but it&#39;s not something you&#39;d notice in day-to-day use).

I have 2Gb of RAM in my iMac, and it&#39;s a rare thing to see it page out. With 1Gb I was paging out fairly often (using Logic Pro, Final Cut, WoW and a few Rosetta games).

aswitcher
2nd July 2006, 11:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJY &#064; Jul 1 2006, 04&#58;43 PM) 190755</div>

I&#39;m thinking of upgrading to 2GB as well.
aswitcher - have you always had 2GB or did you start with less?

I currently have 1GB - and was wondering whether or not I would notice much difference?
[/b]

Hey DJY, yeah 2 GB seems to really improve load speeds of larger apps like iPhoto and iTunes but I haven&#39;t run it with only i gig so I cant say this is a scientific based opinion.

OSX definetly makes use of the extra GB

Kim
3rd July 2006, 11:43 AM
I&#39;m about to buy a 17" MBP with 1gb ram. Have many people here used both 1gb and 2gb configurations in MBP&#39;s - and was there a noticeable increase in performance?