PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro 1.83 - service or wait?

QueenOfSwords
24th June 2006, 04:55 PM
Hi guys,

I caved and bought a refurb 1.83 MBP (good deal, arrived with extra RAM and disk also).
Its a good machine in most respects. Battery= good. No dead pixels. Hot, but the hottest it will get for any length of time is about 85 degrees, the fan kicks in and pulls it back if it heads towards 90. I think the fan could be more aggressive than it is, but that's obviously fixable via firmware. Normal usage is 55 to 70.

Nope, this MBP has only one real problem. The Whine. I didn't notice it initially as it Goes Away with external bluetooth peripherals. But it is annoying in a quiet room. QuietMBP will shut it up (at a setting of '150' and a cost in battery life).

There are isolated posts at places like appledefects.com that say that there *is* a new replacement logic board available for these units (mine's a week 9). I just want to know if anybody here has gotten a silent 1.83 after getting their logic board replaced?

I've seen more horror stories about 'My fourth MBP whined as well!' than I've seen success stories. If nobody's had a lot of success with the whine issue then I might just hold off until Apple more definitively have a fix, as in an updated part. My MBP is mostly ok, I just don't want the whine, or sending it in for service when the outcome isn't likely to be any better.

mac_man_luke
24th June 2006, 05:31 PM
I would just wait for a firmware update, the problem is clearly software

Replacing the hardware it too much like pot luck and no doubt the machine will never be the same after service

mechcon
24th June 2006, 05:54 PM
revision A......

QueenOfSwords
24th June 2006, 06:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mechcon &#064; Jun 24 2006, 05&#58;54 PM) 188011</div>

revision A......
[/b]

So was my iBook G4 :) but I guess my luck ran out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mac_man_luke &#064; Jun 24 2006, 05&#58;31 PM) 188003</div>

I would just wait for a firmware update, the problem is clearly software

Replacing the hardware it too much like pot luck and no doubt the machine will never be the same after service
[/b]

Yeah thats my thoughts too. It&#39;s just that the Whine isn&#39;t software, per se, it&#39;s some weird logic board component interaction that produces a audible whine when the MBP is running off batt. You can work around it with software but you can&#39;t fix it. Unless Apple release a really clever firmware update.

Hmm I wonder if 10.4.7 will have some power management tweaks to work around this.... that should be out soon.

scruffie
24th June 2006, 08:55 PM
I&#39;m pretty much in the same boat as you. Mine is demonstrating the same whine/buzz when running on battery. It only goes away when i open up photo booth. It doesn&#39;t really bug me anymore (because most of time my mbp is hooked to the mains).

Unless you are within some sort of refund/replacement policy, i reckon you should hold.

samuelowens
24th June 2006, 11:23 PM
Mine whines on battery too (week 10)...

You&#39;re playing MacLotto if you send it back for a replacement at this stage because I am not sure a fix has been made available...

QueenOfSwords
25th June 2006, 01:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samuelowens &#064; Jun 24 2006, 11&#58;23 PM) 188085</div>

Mine whines on battery too (week 10)...

You&#39;re playing MacLotto if you send it back for a replacement at this stage because I am not sure a fix has been made available...
[/b]

You guys are right, I think I&#39;ll hold. The &#39;Book is perfectly usable at present.