PDA

View Full Version : wi fi speeds

Harry the Horse
23rd June 2006, 10:11 PM
I am currently running a toshiba laptop (1.5Ghz, 1MB ram) from work on my home wi fi/airport network. The router is a Dlink with an airport express that connects a HP printer. ISP is Bigpond cable.
The PC is close to twice as quick as my PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz 1Mb and my iMac Duo 20 inch with 2Gb ram. All of them are much faster if connected directly to ethernet.

All the machines are getting good signal strength. I am using 128 bit WEP.
As an example it is taking 9-10 seconds to get a Google page on the PB

I am a newbie. Does anyone have some hints as to what I should do please?

bartron
23rd June 2006, 10:34 PM
Ah wireless....nothing is ever as it seems. You are in the realm of advertising gimics and size(speed) comparisons.

I have a dlink card in my PC and a netgear rangemax router. Lucky if I get 20mbps (the dlink is advertised at 54 and the router at 108). Different cards get different speeds. Unless all your cards are matched to the router you will rarely see advertised speeds.

IMHO wireless is good for internet as your net connection is almost always slower than your slowest wireless link...even good old 802.11b at 11Mbps. As a method of copying files however it sucks compared to wired ethernet.

Bartron

choy
23rd June 2006, 11:07 PM
Are all the machines in the same room when you achieve these speeds?

What are you comparing? Speed of web browsing or downloading a file?

Make sure you have "Use interference robustness" turned off on your powerbook and imac.

Are you using safari or firefox or some other browser? Safari is actually quite slow(especially if the web cache etc is very full - try emptying the cache and remembered links.), Try camino or opera (go to macupdate.com and do a search for these)

Info on how to speed safari here:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...speed%2Bfirefox (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050720113322218&query=speed%2Bfirefox)
Alternatively you can try speeding firefox by enabling pipelining - link on how to do this below.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...speed%2Bfirefox (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20041228120646385&query=speed%2Bfirefox)

Also it's worth trying to use the same browser on both machines to compare speeds.

Try going to this page here
http://www.ozspeedtest.com/tools_speed.shtml
and running the test on each computer - you can post the figures for each machine here and see whether it has to do with your browser/connection or whether it's the computer. Obviously click the "bigpond" then "cable" link to get a true test of speed.

Admittedly internet explorer renders pages quicker than most mac browsers. But I find speeds of downloads, email etc identical. Often the pc might feel "faster" when surfing the web simply because you see the page rendering quicker rather than an actual speed difference. Hopefully, if you do the speed test above on each machine we can see if maybe it's the wireless connection.

Currawong
24th June 2006, 12:12 AM
Try a different web browser. Safari has a bit of a delay, and seems to get slower as its cache fills up.

Harry the Horse
24th June 2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks for your responses.
For the record the machines were all in one room when I did my rough speed measurements. I am using Firefox on all of them.
The main problem seems to be browsing- but I'll benchmark the downloads too.
I'll spend some time this evening when I get home and post thet results.
Again thanks for your feedback.

sbobz
24th June 2006, 12:01 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Harry the Horse &#064; Jun 23 2006, 10&#58;11 PM) 187828</div>

I am currently running a toshiba laptop (1.5Ghz, 1MB ram) from work on my home wi fi/airport network. The router is a Dlink with an airport express that connects a HP printer. ISP is Bigpond cable.
The PC is close to twice as quick as my PowerBook G4 1.5 Ghz 1Mb and my iMac Duo 20 inch with 2Gb ram. All of them are much faster if connected directly to ethernet.

All the machines are getting good signal strength. I am using 128 bit WEP.
As an example it is taking 9-10 seconds to get a Google page on the PB

I am a newbie. Does anyone have some hints as to what I should do please?
[/b]

getting interference from other ap&#39;s perhaps? scan what frequencies other ap&#39;s are on and move yours to something that is as far away as possible.

latency is increased a measurable amount with wireless, but 9-10 seconds is completely abnormal.

choy
24th June 2006, 03:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sbobz &#064; Jun 24 2006, 12&#58;01 PM) 187940</div>

getting interference from other ap&#39;s perhaps? scan what frequencies other ap&#39;s are on and move yours to something that is as far away as possible.

latency is increased a measurable amount with wireless, but 9-10 seconds is completely abnormal.
[/b]

That doesn&#39;t really explain why his pc is faster though - unless his pc is less prone to interference??

Harry the Horse
24th June 2006, 10:40 PM
I have just run the speed tests as suggested.
The results were:

For the Powerbook:

Mirror: Bigpond
Test type: Cable

Your connection speed:

kbps: 1003.86
KB/s: 125.48
Mbps: 1</tt>

For the PC:

Mirror: Bigpond
Test type: Cable

Your connection speed:

kbps: 5050.98
KB/s: 631.37
Mbps: 5.05</tt>
The readings were taken within a couple of minutes of each other in the same spot. The mac had full strength signal.

I then ran a larger test file from Optus cable and got speeds of 4591 and 2171 for the PC and mac respectively followed by a re-run of the Telsatra cable results and got 8427 and 1201 running simultaneously.

I wasn&#39;t able to get access to the iMac this evening.

The speed of bringing up Google is in line with this. about 1-2 seconds for the PC about 9-10 for the mac.

I have fiddled with the pipeline settings on the mac it may have made a small difference (say 1 second).

Thanks again for your help and ideas. :)

Harry the Horse
14th July 2006, 09:58 PM
After a bit more research and fiddling I managed to get a better result by turning off IPV6 as well as removing the the entries I had in DNS Servers and search domains. I have found a few references to people getting similar results elsewhere.

The speed is now within 30% of the PC whick makes it usable. The PC interestingly is also quicker when comparing speed on ethernet.

Mctastic
14th July 2006, 11:46 PM
yes, turn off ip6. also on the mac&#39;s, try putting in the dns setting of your provider in the network panel in sys prefs. i&#39;m assuming you have 1 or 2 dns adresses on the router(internet) itself? also, you may put the routers ip(same as gateway ip) in the dns panel in sys prefs. this does cause a delay in the mac&#39;s resolving/finding links