PDA

View Full Version : Broken latch on a PB G4

boyfinley
21st June 2006, 12:56 PM
Firstly I want to rant about the quality of service at AppleCentre Broadway.. I took it to ACB as it's my closest local reseller, and after three weeks of hearing nothing I try to get in contact with them. This takes me a further three days as noone seems interested in answering the phone/replying to email. Once I've finally got in touch they tell me it's ready to pick up, come in tomorrow, I do so, only to find that not only have they not fixed the broken latch, they've not even looked at it. So I've currently waited three weeks without them even LOOKING at my powerbook. What the hell kind of service is that? If it were something inconsequential I might get over it, but giving away my primary computer for repair is a big deal and to be without it for three weeks only to find they haven't even looked it? Beyond frustrating, maddening in the extreme..

Anyway, after embarrassing themselves like that they've hurried on a little bit & have just informed me that it's not something covered by Apple Warranty, and cost $500 to repair. That's not something I'm willing to pay considering that it cost me $4500 in the fist place and I purchased the $500 Applecare.

There are a few stories online from people who've managed to turn Apple's mind around on this, what I'm appealing to the good people of Appletalk for is feedback on how best to approach this/who to contact at the good ship Apple Australia.

Any help? I'm a short straw away from buying velcro and putting up with an ugly/compromised laptop, but surely this sort of thing should be covered by warranty. Anyone dealt with Apple and the ACCC? Who's my best hope here?

Help me, please :(

- Pete

the_OM
21st June 2006, 01:07 PM
Write into the consumer watchdog column at APC, they seem to love these Apple stories, and this one would be a good one for them.

They usually end up with a good result. Or contact Apple themselves and see how far up the chain you can get.

Galumay
21st June 2006, 01:13 PM
Broken latch on a PB G4, ..who do I sleep with to fix it?

send a photo of yourself and i will let you know!!

purana
21st June 2006, 01:13 PM
Have you called Apple support and asked to confirm with someone in regards to it being covered or not. I'd be inclined to call Apple direct and confirm how they determine if something is covered or not.

Certainly some items might be completely ruled out and not included, although when things are covered you have to check for user abuse. ie. did the user cause the problem by dropping the machine or other related damage. If so, its not covered. If this is not abuse then the item is covered. Although in Apple has the final say.

I'd say go call them and get the word from the horses mouth so to speak. Then goto another repair joint if Apple state that you should take it somewhere for a look to deem if they will cover it.

Who knows about the centre you used, they could of made it up as they are too busy and didnt want the work.. or they really did confirm its not doable. Who honestly knows.

The phone call is only going to cost you a bit of time..

How old is the machine? And if the machine has no damage to indicate it was caused by you, then I cant honestly see why it wont be covered.

My wife got a brand new 12" G4 last year and well after 3 weeks of it sitting on her desk we decided to take it somewhere. First time we had closed it since getting it out of the box and well the latch/hinge assy was aligned correctly. So into the shop it went. Shame I didnt notice it before DOA period ran out. IN the end the repair centre repaired under warranty only to have the returned unit very damaged from service managers poor work. Striped screws, not put together correctly. Gaps all round. IN the end the machine was replaced b the Franchise owner, as it was to say the least a very poor job in his eyes. Although it took alot of jumping up and down before we got the franchise owner to look at high res pics. Soon as he did 15mins later new machine was offered.

Good luck.

Amzy
21st June 2006, 01:21 PM
i had an issue with the slignment of the screen on my new Macbook Pro and also the hinge on it was not firm enough. I took it to the apple centre on flinders street in melbourne they said contact apple ciustomer relations...i called them...got nothing and then again at the centre...still nothing....i have given up on them now....not that the issue is major....the machine is fine but still....apple customer support is terrible!!!!

sendai
21st June 2006, 01:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purana &#064; Jun 21 2006, 01&#58;13 PM) 186736</div>
&lt;snip&gt;My wife got a brand new 12" G4 last year and well after 3 weeks of it sitting on her desk we decided to take it somewhere. First time we had closed it since getting it out of the box and well the latch/hinge assy was aligned correctly. So into the shop it went. Shame I didnt notice it before DOA period ran out. IN the end the repair centre repaired under warranty only to have the returned unit very damaged from service managers poor work. Striped screws, not put together correctly. Gaps all round. IN the end the machine was replaced b the Franchise owner, as it was to say the least a very poor job in his eyes. Although it took alot of jumping up and down before we got the franchise owner to look at high res pics. Soon as he did 15mins later new machine was offered.
[/b]Good advice.

+ OT: Yikes&#33; I was about to say that getting it repaired is considerably faster than waiting for a DOA (which usually takes 7-10 and can take longer,) so you were better off. But that&#39;s very poor work on the tech&#39;s part.

I annoys me no end when I have to repair a machine that had been previously repaired and has striped screws.

ClockWork
21st June 2006, 01:32 PM
It&#39;s a nitty-gritty problem Pete. The reason they would have tried to charge you &#036;500 on repair with APP still on the PBG4 is that they might have concluded that you damaged it yourself - on the principle that it was not sold to you with a broken latch.

Best stratagy I can think of is to call Apple Computer Australia directly on: 133 622 then press option 2 and then press option 2 once again, to take you through to the Portable Computers department.

Have your PBG4&#39;s Serial Number handy in front of you. They will ask you for your Name and other details, as well as whom you took it to when its latch failed.

Note: Don&#39;t get angry at them - just state your case. You need to state that you didn&#39;t damage the latch and that it broke all on its own.

They will then transfer you to their Customer Relations people, and will suggest the best Service Centre for you to bring it to, in order for their technical team to have a look at it - which may involve taking photos of the broken latch, in order to discern whether or not the latch broke through material fatigue or fault.

And yes, I know it seems like another long-winded excersice - but if it means not having to pay the &#036;500, it&#39;s worth it&#33;

Tell us how your faired,

cheers Pete,

ClockWork

ClockWork
21st June 2006, 01:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amzy &#064; Jun 21 2006, 01&#58;21 PM) 186738</div>

i had an issue with the slignment of the screen on my new Macbook Pro and also the hinge on it was not firm enough. I took it to the apple centre on flinders street in melbourne they said contact apple ciustomer relations...i called them...got nothing and then again at the centre...still nothing....i have given up on them now....not that the issue is major....the machine is fine but still....apple customer support is terrible&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
[/b]

Anzy,

Read Post 7 on the best avenue to take.

Cheers,

ClockWork

boyfinley
21st June 2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. The reason given to me by the applecentre was that the latch mechanism is built into the bottom of the case, so repairing it requires that the entire bottom of the case is replaced (unfortunately it wasn&#39;t just the little hook in the top that broke, it was the bit that it notches into). This is something that Apple has decided they won&#39;t cover under warranty, but I don&#39;t think it&#39;s my fault that Ive designed the powerbook in such a way that it&#39;s expensive to repair faults like this. I don&#39;t believe the break to my fault either, and it&#39;s otherwise markless.

At any rate most of my frustration is with the fact within three weeks this applecentre hadn&#39;t even looked at my PB, that is simply unnacceptable. Perhaps I should let myself cool down before I call Apple themselves eh?

Thanks again for the help everyone and I&#39;ll let the board know how I get on.

Cheers,
P&#33;

ClockWork
21st June 2006, 02:00 PM
Sounds like a reasonable idea Pete =)

Service / Repairs Centres can often... just... make stuff up - ir simply "not care". Apple Australia direct should see you right.

Post back and tell us what happens.

cheers,

CW

boyfinley
2nd August 2006, 11:04 PM
Wow&#33; One month later + the dilemma is finally over&#33; An adventure of epic proportions&#33;

So, I called Apple, told them what had happened + that I wanted to claim an exception in their warranty policy, they said fine, just get the service provider to contact us so that we know it wasn&#39;t misuse. Easy right? Not really as Apple Centre Broadway were completely uninterested in helping me and did nothing to contact Apple after a further three weeks + several phonecalls..

Then, to add insult to injury.. after installing 10.4.7, my powerbook started falling asleep randomly, and often. On occasion I&#39;d have to remove the battery + disconnect power to get it to reset. At this point I was so sick of having a non-working powerbook I told myself that if I could fix the sleeping problem by myself, I&#39;d just get used to the broken latch because I didn&#39;t want to go any longer without my PB.

After a week + a bit of trying to fix it by myself, and trying to fix it with phone support from Apple, I finally bit the bullet + took it to a different service centre (this time Powermedia in Surry Hills), and got them to agree to talk to Apple about the latch as well as the sleeping sickness. Almost a fortnight later + I&#39;ve got my pride n joy back on my lap, functioning perfectly after having both the top + bottom casing replaced (bottom to fix the latch, top to fix the sleeping thing), all repaired promptly + fully covered under warranty&#33; Just goes to show the difference it makes when a service centre is actually interested in helping you out..

Thanks for the help when I needed it guys :)
Cheers,
P&#33;

ClockWork
3rd August 2006, 02:05 AM
Good going Pete - and yes - all Apple stores / service centres are filled with different people and different managers - all whom have different priorities towards customers, and you can work out pretty fast which ones don&#39;t give a shit and which ones are genuinely helpful.

Stick with your first gut instincts based on "what happens next" and you finally wind up with a centre you&#39;ll always return to.

cheers,

cw