PDA

View Full Version : A Great Leap Forward

Neanderthal 266
4th November 2004, 08:24 PM
G'day all,

This is my first post, so I hope it's in the proper section.

I currently own a G3 266 Mac & intend to drag myself into the 21st Century & purchase a new 20" IMac G5.

However, I'm not sure how to export my email & address book (Outlook Express 5.05) onto the new machine.

I previously installed a Swann MacSurfer twin port USB card on the G3 for gaming, & wonder if I can use this to export the files across to the G5?

If not, is there a way to perform this?

Thanks in advance....

Neanderthal 266

spargo
4th November 2004, 10:09 PM
Hi there and welcome,

check out the Apple support site at: http://www.apple.com/support/ this is always a good start for me as I am still very much a newby..

i quickly found an article on transferring from old Mac to new Mac, however I haven't done this myself via USB as I used a LAN router connection when going from old Pentium II PC to my new PowerBook several months ago.

see here for the article (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25575), although there may be others in the support site on the topic.

good luck.

decryption
4th November 2004, 10:29 PM
Spargo you little beauty, I was looking for that link and couldn't find it. Thanks for shovling it out for me mate :)

spargo
5th November 2004, 03:02 AM
what can i say, someone's gotta watch the board while you guys are all asleep..

but alas, I start a new job here next week which will cut into my daily job searching (**cough, cough web browsing/posting/chatting cough, cough**) time.. ;)

Currawong
5th November 2004, 06:54 AM
Mail.app will import from Outlook Express. If your Mac has firewire (ie: it's an iMac, not G3 266) then you can boot it in target disk mode, hook it up via a Firewire cable to the new machine and when you first start up, it will ask you if you'd like to import data from the old machine. It will then transfer everything.

Moose
5th November 2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by spargo@Nov 5 2004, 03:02 AM

but alas, I start a new job here next week which will cut into my daily job searching (**cough, cough web browsing/posting/chatting cough, cough**) time.. ;)

Yeah, till you settle in and find out everyone else is doing it. You will be up and running in no time. :lol:

Good luck with the new job.