PDA

View Full Version : calling all switchers

gizo
3rd November 2004, 11:27 AM
hey there........

i have been trawling through the apple 'switch' letters, and they all seems to be heavily candied.... mostly emotion and little actualities...

so i was wondering:

how many of you are switchers?
what helped you make the decision?
and how has it been?....
what's been good (practiacality, not emotionality)?
and what has been bad/hard to cope with?
and finally, were you switching to join apple, or to dump microsoft??

Disko
3rd November 2004, 11:41 AM
I'm a switcher.
One of the bigger descision makers for me was microsoft announcing "trusted computing" where they seemed to have more control over your computer than you do. I didn't want to be forced to use that, so i looked for other alternatives. I always liked the look of OS X, and the no viruses or spyware were a big selling point for myself as well. Apple announced the 17" powerbook (i'd always wanted a big screen notebook) and i ordered right away.

How has it been? Great! The only annoying thing about the mac is microsoft and it's fan-boys either not supporting it because its a mac (no other reason) or bringing up one of many of the mac myths (http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=348) to say how crap my choice of computer is.

The good: Macs aren't about quantity, they're about quality. There aren't as manny apps around for mac as there are for windows - but all the best (and better) ones are on mac. The entire OS is just better. Windows users knock it saying "simple OS = simple mind".... really, that's absurd. This OS is based on unix - it has a terminal, so if you want to get into the nitty gritty, you're free to. But me, i'd rather be using my brainpower on my work rather than trying to troubleshoot which new strand of mydoom it is that has infected my system. OSX is by far the greatest piece of software i've used.

Bad: Ignorance of 92% of the users. I tell my family "if you use a mac, then you wont get viruses", and then when it comes round to new computer time they buy PCs again... because macs "can't run office". *sigh*
Another bad factor is Apple's announced shipping dates vs real shipping dates. As we're seeing with the iMac G5 right now - Apple take there sweet time about getting new products out to their users.

I switched for a better product.

markh
3rd November 2004, 12:22 PM
I became a switcher back when the new G4 Powerbooks were annouced. Order a 12" PB straight away. However, I had been considering a move across to Apple for a few couple of months.

Good. Love OS X. To me, being a sys admin, the last thing I wish todo when sitting down to use my own computer is having to maintain it ie: spyware, virii's, making stuff work as in the case if trying to use Linux as a desktop OS. Things just seem to work on the Mac.. I have sanity back :-)

The quality of this 12" PB is amazing. The most gorgeous computer i have owned. A joy yo look at and use.

Bad: Support.. Apple Australia are a bunch of idiots. Coming from using an IBM Thinkpad, i would have expect if i report my battery doesnt appear to hold a long charge, that a new one would be shipped out to me and the old returned. But no, you have to take the machine into the looked at, and at the time, I wasnt going to go without this machine for over 2 weeks, so at present, just putting up with it.

As mentioned, shipping times. I have gotten a couple of people in the office the switch with one of the new iMac G5's.. One lady has received hers and the other is still waiting.

decryption
3rd November 2004, 12:44 PM
I switched from using a Windows machine for almost 14 years to a Mac this year.

Mac OS X made the decision for me. UNIX and an excellent GUI? SOLD! I'm also interested in learning computers, knowing all there is to know. I've conquered Windows, used Linux in a desktop environment and didn't like it at all, but never Mac. We used them at school back in 1997, and they were fun little machines that never fucked up. Just loaded the apps we needed and it worked. Then the school moved to Windows NT 4.0 and problems ahoy! But anyways, those two factors made me "switch" (I still use Windows and UNIX every day at home, school and work).

It's been fantastic learning about Apple and their mindset. Everything is focussed towards the customer and improving their experience, rather than full out profit. It might sound silly, but using a Mac, I feel more at ease, not struggling like you do with a Windows or Linux computer. I've had 0 problems with OS X, never "had" to do a re-install to fix a glitch, or spent hours configuring some .conf file to get things the way I want. The OS works, it's there, and it works well with a minimum of fuss.

The two problems I have had with using a Mac is A) the inital price of hardware and B) gaming. B) was solved by buying an XBox, but I still miss playing a few games that don't come out on consoles. I can get a Windows desktop machine, that will play my games, and get everything done that I want it do for about $1500. For something similar on the desktop, I'm up for around $2300 and that won't let me play the games. I saw it, and thought "shit, I hope I don't waste my money". Luckily, I took the punt and it payed off big time.

I think a good example of how much Disko and I at least like our Macs, is AppleTalk. We only switched very recently, yet we started the website anyways, because we like Macs. If we didin't switch, this site wouldn't be around.

OziMac
3rd November 2004, 01:15 PM
I, too, am a switcher.

I used to swear by MS and Windows. Loved it - and at the same time, hated having things go wrong, severely at least twice a year. I remember back in high school preparing notes for an exam only to have Windows crap out on me two nights before and losing six months worth of work. And this sort of thing happened often - missing or corrupted DLL files are my worst memory (and also recently screwed my uncle's brand new HP desktop - so there's not really been any progress).

The other thing is that I've always been a bit of a film buff, and love making home movies and amateur films. I tried, I really did, to get this working on a PC. Initially I bought an external analogue-USB capture card - but my hard drive was too slow. Replaced the hard drive, but the image quality wasn't great because USB was too slow. Even then, captures would bum out on me. I cracked and bought a DV cam a few years later with a firewire card - guess what, the software I had on my computer was useless, as was the software included in the box. I was stymied everywhere I looked, nothing I ever did was quite enough to make non-linear video editing and capture easy or worthwhile on my PCs.

I first considered switching when visiting the US in early 2000 - I'd heard of the iMacs and was in the market for a laptop and saw the then-new iBooks. Even with the toilet seat shape, something about them appealed to me. But back then, price and 'specs' guided my decision-making process, so I eventually bought a Compaq (though I had considered a Sony Vaio with an 'iLink' firewire port - don't know how things would have turned out had I bought that one).

As expected, that computer again crapped out about a year and a half later and I had to pay a fair bit of money to get it fixed, and also lost much of my data. Around this time I read about the new white ice iBooks and started regretting my earlier decision. I had a few friends who had Macs and who were signing the praises of OS X. And I had worked on Macs in a couple of jobs I had for web and graphic design, and a little bit of Final Cut. I managed to survive on that computer for another year, but it stopped working unless I fiddled around with the insides, and eventually refused to work. The fact that owning and repairing that computer had given rise to violent tendencies and high stress levels meant I was really looking for a change.

By the time I was looking for a new laptop, September 2002, the new iMac G4s had come out and I thought they were stunning - but price inhibitive at the time. Similarly the iPods were around but also too expensive. So were Powerbooks and the like. Powermacs were out of the question. But I took the plunge and spent over $3000 (laughable now) on a 12" iBook G3 700MHz - and have never looked back. The transition was flawless, I took all the (remaining) data from my old computer and plonked it into a place in my Home folder, barely to look at it again. The Mac solved all of my problems - OS X was as stable as a rock, I could compute regularly and stably with Office X, and I could finally do some real video editing work straight out of the box. Given that it solved so many of my problems so well, perhaps you could understand why I fell under its spell - to the point where today (sad to say it) my entire household is run on Macs, three of which I use personally, and I have too many iPods. But it's all a pleasure and worth it - nothing like computing as I'd ever experiences on a PC - it has actually been enjoyable. Using Windows at work is such a hassle - for all the obvious reasons, but smaller ones too: sometimes I get frustrated at having too many Explorer windows open, and dash the mouse across to the corner of the screen, to no effect - the wonders of Expose.

That's why you might perceive the letters on Apple's Switch website to be emotional and 'candied' - because that's the effect it can have on you after years of toil under a completely unsatisfactory system.

Well, that's my two cent contribution to your request. :)

thebag
3rd November 2004, 02:07 PM
I switched about 9 years ago after my powerhouse 486DX2/66 crapped itself(as they do).

My wife worked for UWS Richmond and we acquired a used LC630 they were superseding. Then we later upgraded to 7200/90 and so on.

Mostly use them for the web, email and typing letters. I like the fact my macs just WORK! when I want them to.

And I also have to admit now they are "designed" I like just looking at it sitting on my desk. I don't think too many people would say that about their Dell.

Regards Mark

Moose
3rd November 2004, 02:37 PM
I'm looking to switch soon.

Reason?

Ummm, probably because I love my mini ipod, started using itunes, thought this is nice, looked into other apple apps, and liked the look. I knew very little about Mac so have since conducted plenty of research including playing on my mate’s new 20 inch imac on cup day. Nice, very nice.

I would like to go for the imac, but I will wait for the release of the new emac before I decide. The imac is probably too much computer for what I need, but I would like to buy the best I can afford at the time. I will wait and see; new emac can't be that far off. Can it?

Moose

thomas
3rd November 2004, 03:09 PM
Back when i switched (2001 - OS 9/OS 10.1) it wasn't all pretty, as lots of files weren't compatible accross Mac and PC (the different colour palettes were also a nightmare in programs like Illustrator....so frustrating seeing your project open as a black blog in Illustrator in Windows :( ) - and networking with windows was a huge drama, i was concerned about this for a while, but nowadays OS X and windows get along like long lost brothers.

The only pain in the ass for me has been that eTax doesn't run on OS X without Virtual PC (i want nothing to do with such rubbish).

There's nothing I want to do that i haven't been able to do on my powerbook under OS X - I used to have a PC at home for 'just in case' scenarios, but finally got rid of it (10 search bars and heap s of spyware was ridiculous for a computer that got used maybe twice a week) - i feel so much better for doing so.

As for games...meh...World of Warcraft is coming out for mac, other than that....thats what a PS2 is for :rolleyes:

panda
3rd November 2004, 03:24 PM
I'm trying to be a switcher,

Why? Got a 5Mp digital camera and my Aptiva just said "No way I'm not processing those monsters without a sleep every hour or so"
Got an infection that sent my broadband usage beserk. Mrs Panda said she'd leave me if we didn't clense the house of all things MS.

Good: Only what I've read in mags so cant really comment.

Bad: The wait, Have to buy Photoshop and Filemaker and ... nobody has written software to download data from scuba dive computers to Macs.

titan44
3rd November 2004, 04:57 PM
Well i'm an ipod switcher.

I aways liked the philosophy of mac i just thought they we really limited in what they could do. Anyways my gf wanted an ipod back when there was no win ipod, which required the purchase of a ibook ( $800+ as well as $2.5K for a used ibook Ouch!), the ibook came with dual booting OS9/OS X OS9 didn't do much for me but i thought OS X was beautiful. I began to use my win2K box less and less, then jaguar came out and that did it for me. I bought a pre-loved Sawtooth and ditched my pc, followed by more apple purchases

I've spent a hell of a lot more money on mac's than i have on pc's, but the funny thing is, I don't mind forking out for mac stuff, cause i know the software has been well thought out and the hard ware ( for the most part ) is'nt the cheapest junk they could scape together. My computer works with me now, not against me.

Phillip
3rd November 2004, 04:58 PM
I am a switcher myself.

Switch just about 1 year ago. Loving it. The PC gets used less and less each day. I have 2 main reasons.

- Mac OS X - I think this is why most people have switched or are planning to. The interface is just beautiful and its multi-tasking abilities really impress me. No Spyware and Viruses are bonuses too. The software for the Mac generally are amazing, not just from Apple. The Mac has some really really amaing and passionate developers who make the best programs in the world. And most of them are not available on Windows.

- Hardware - Apple makes the best computers in the world. They are always pushing the envelope and innovating. Compare that to say, Dell, HP, or IBM. The careful thinking from look of the computer, the back ports, to the packaging from Apple always amazes me.

stooge
3rd November 2004, 05:31 PM
Well after 6 or so months of being a wanna be switcher ,
it is going to happen on monday or Tuesday next week.

Main reason for changing is that I like to tinker with unix , and also
like to be slack and have the machine _work_. Mac OS X will allow me to do both.

A PC would mean either windows2k/linux/BSD*

Another reason is that I spend my life dealing with windows drones and hate the operating
system.

I use linux at work but feel dirty because I use _radhat_.

The simple solution for the OS holy wars , is work out what you want to do with it.
And make your own choice.

*Windows XP kills my inner child

OziMac
3rd November 2004, 05:32 PM
What are you getting stooge?

stooge
3rd November 2004, 05:39 PM
1.25 G4 Emac , 512 mb ram , Combo drive , 160 gig Hd Blue tooth module.

I will be adding a dual layer dvdrw via an external drive case.

Price was too good to slip by , $1245

OziMac
3rd November 2004, 05:44 PM
Excellent price - check out Leo Bodnar's Upgrade Guide (http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html) and the Macrumor's eMac Upgrade thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=53733) and see if you can find a way to put the Superdrive inside your eMac - I did, successfully, and also upgraded the hard drive and overclocked the processor. A bit hairy, dangerous if you're not careful, but fun ;)

[EDIT] Sorry for going off topic, but a) I think this topic deserves a bump and B) this sounds like a great deal for a switcher.

stooge
3rd November 2004, 06:00 PM
Nah that is cool , the reason I am opting for the external option is that I am not confident in opening a machine that has a crt in it. I have seen the disassembly instructions and don't think that this would be a good idea.

A previous offer I had was $1299 , dropping the combo drive and hd , and suppying my own hd and dvdr . Which in the end would have been about $1450 with a 160 gig drive.

The dvdr I have is a an LG which natively has no iapps support, so in this case I will go external so it can be used with the pc

It would be the first new computer I have bought in 4 years , and it cost about the same.

Husq
3rd November 2004, 06:47 PM
I was one of the guys who started off hating macs because of bad experiences with earlier versions.
I wouldn't say I switched, I coexist in a world of Windows and Mac, but enjoy the mac experience alot more.
The initial question requests reasons without emotion. That is how I would describe my computing experience prior to using a Mac. Windows is the computer I work on, Mac is the computer I enjoy using.

I see the apple experience best in before and after. Before getting an iPod I owned about 10 CDs and listened to mainstream crap. Now I have over 200 CDs/albums. Before getting a mac I had an archive of old childhood photos. Now I have over 2000 photos from the last 12 months, and have started video editing.
Basically buying a mac allowed me to easily do the things I never had time to do or didn't know I would be interested in because I was too busy reading the manual.

Another big reason. Since I have to support my parents questions about how to save a file, get the scanner to work, import pictures from the digital camera, play a cd, I keep finding myself saying "If you had a mac you would find this easier".

I don't hate Microsoft. I just use what works best for me.

king89
3rd November 2004, 07:41 PM
Hi, I'm a new user to this forum and I feel great that I found an Aussie orientated Mac site where users are actually active.

I started using Macs about 5-6 months ago now and have been loving every moment since I changed my thinking to the Mac way. I have been using Windows since the days of 3.1, where the graphic interface was like many finder windows open without the desktop. Now that I think about it, how did I get anything done back then? However, I still run three MS computers at home, they are switching when they get their next upgrade :P

What I love about Mac and OSX.3:
Expose. After just using expose for about a month I can't seem to live without it. Everytime I use a MS computer, either at home or at uni, there are always too many windows open and my mouse automatically flicks to the top right hand corner of the monitor. The frustration!

Tinkering. I am a guy that loves to tinker. I love the stability that OSX brings, as it allows me to tinker and customise the way I work and use my computer. I now have multiple desktops running, quick-launch task bar (something I can no longer live without), global shortcuts, having 10 programs running at one time without slowing down my system. This is all possible due to the simplicity of the GUI and the way that Mac developers integrate their software with OSX without corrupting its stability.

Videos. I love the fact that video is an integral part of the OS, as such it has no problem handling things such as video editing or viewing (a useless function such as using video as a wallpaper). I too am a I video buff, and love making little home movies, which is so easy using this system.

Design. What other company makes their products a piece of art, that mixes form with functionality as well as Apple.

Dislikes:
Apple help. Apple provides no manuals, usually everytime something goes wrong I head for the manuals to understand the system better and this was very frustrating when I first switched to Mac. Then I realised that online forums and to some extent the in-built help was the best way to learn about the Mac. Apple phone help was not much help, however I did get to talk to real people.

I'll see you all around in the forums and hope to get to know you all better :)

House
4th November 2004, 03:00 AM
I'm a switcher, 5months now. Thought I'd explain my switch and share my general opinions.

My sister really wanted a mac because of the perception that they're better for video editing, and preferred a laptop. I went looking one day and saw the 12" 1Ghz G4 iBook as a good fit for my preference for cheap, low power, basic computers, so I bought one with (my mum's!) Academic Discount. Sis got a 15" PB weeks later, months after, she still hasn't edited a video.

I rarely game and when I do I prefer my Xbox or PS2. I don't edit videos or use Office (or similar) either. I'm a savage web surfer often with dozens of pages open, I instant message, IRC and email 24/7 and couldn't live without VLC for videos. My iPod is Windows formatted and I keep all my music on one of 5 PCs in the house. All DVD burning, most printing and data storage is still Windows/PC centric. Anyone able to use Citibank's internet banking from their mac? I'd love to know which browser you're using if you do, cos I can't. (Btw, there is a disclaimer about macs possibly being unable to access the site).

Trusted computing does worry me, but played no part in my purchase of an Apple computer. I think Apple's monopoly of its hardware would make it easier for them to lock us into a 'Trusted Computing' scheme... need I mention the side effects of Apple's association with the music industry or what they did with downloading from your iPod now with iTunes 4.7?

Hardware wise they look nice, instantly recognisable, but big deal. What really matters for me is the light weight and great battery life. I feel quite ripped off that the webpages didn't explain clearly enough that the internal Bluetooth is only a pre-order option with no user or service centre upgrade available later, I bought on impulse at an Apple retailer, I'd have baulked if I had to wait a week for delivery. The fineprint is there, more prominence would have been appreciated.

Software wise, OS X is nice, perhaps even very nice. Rendezvous is a good idea, but won't really shine in anything but an Apple only network or home until the Windows world jumps on the wagon. I really do like OS X, but I can't agree it's light years ahead of Windows. Being *nix based the /etc folder has got to go! The Windows registry is a much better idea, and when all operating systems move to something like an LDAP implementation for keeping settings (Windows Active Directory on steroids) the flow on effects will be astounding. Can anyone say platform independence and network computing? As will the relational database filesystems expected in the coming years.

I firmly hold that there's little difference with the quality of apps from Apple to Windows. The biggest annoyance is lack of uniformity with shortcuts between OS X apps (freeware following operating system's shortcuts, especially). Forget the stability arguement, Windows boxes that I built in '99 are still running supermarket POS systems around Victoria without any intervention. Most stability issues are multimedia related and can be traced back to bad RAM, timing or IRQs in systems stacked with PCI cards.
When you have full control of the specs like Apple, HP, Dell etc then of course the system will be put together better than a High St computer store who have 1000s of hardware configurations that have never been tested together. Anyway, even Apple's are sensitive to RAM choice.

Simple OS = Simple mind? I agree this is crap. I reckon it's more like: Simple OS = Simple Experience. This, I think, gives the impression that everything in OS X 'Just Works'. 'Simple' does not need to be a slur.

I didn't switch to 'Join Apple' or 'Dump Microsoft', I did it for me. I like being well rounded, I have Windows wrapped around my little finger, Linux has its uses (it's a sturdy tool, not a panacea) but needs a more uniform User Interface. Mac knowledge is a bonus, as Lotus Notes, Novell and Cisco knowledge is.

Oh yeah, I'm Microsoft (MCSA) and Citrix (CCEA) certified. Was this post paid by Microsoft? You decide. :)

eni
4th November 2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by House@Nov 4 2004, 03:00 AM
The Windows registry is a much better idea
I'm sorry but...I simply cannot believe a knowledgeable person said that. Okay, maybe the concept is better but the implementation is...not. I would agree with your next point but "platform independence and network computing" is not going to happen in our computing economy.

---

I'm a born again switcher! Originally I switched from amiga to mac, then to PC, then back to mac with a powerbook around 6 months ago.
<Actually I have to go. I&#39;ll write this later.>

bergerac
4th November 2004, 12:51 PM
I just sort of switched a few months ago,considering I just remembered the first computer I used was a mac :P We&#39;ve only have PC&#39;s in our house since then so i guess it counts. Ive been lucky enough to be using macs at school and uni for about for about 15 years now and I forked out for my own 12" ibook since theres no pc laptop like it in that price range, I would have got a powerbook but im too poor :(. OSX was the big reason for the switch, even though it turned my happy little mac using world upside down when i first used it, i started to love it the more i learned about it. Id never considered getting a mac before OS X and all i had ever heard from the PC loving morons at uni was &#39;macs are crap they crash so much&#39;... hmm.. Another main part of my decision to switch was the exponential growth of malware for PC&#39;s over the last few years, I already maintain a few PC&#39;s for family and friends but I dont want to have to come home and have to screw around with mine. The best part about macs are they just work, everything is easy and it works first time. You can browse the internet and check you email without worrying about downloaders and bad attachments. The only thing that has pissed me off so far is Word on mac and that stupid formatting palette, there just isnt enough room for it on the 12" screen, it should have the option of changing it too a tool bar. The other bad thing is hardware cost, sure u can get a imac or emac for under &#036;2k but coming from PC&#39;s im really big on being able to upgrade a system to extend your investment but this is limited to powermacs, and then you cant change the processor or motherboard... but its a small price to pay, macs seem to last alot longer than pc&#39;s

House
4th November 2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by eni@Nov 4 2004, 07:30 AM
I&#39;m sorry but...I simply cannot believe a knowledgeable person said that. Okay, maybe the concept is better but the implementation is...not.
Re-read what I wrote and you&#39;ll find that is precisely the point I was making; the idea is good, but the implementation could be improved by implementing a central database (like an LDAP setup which is already used for network and user settings in a Windows Domain) that could be used for more than just application settings. The registry arrived with Win95, LDAP got into gear with Win2000 Server (Active Directory) and has been refreshed and given more uses in 2003 Server.

I look forward to more of the features and solutions built into the server editions of today&#39;s operating systems crossing over to the desktop releases. We&#39;re dealing personally with more data than small networks used to run and we&#39;re increasingly integrating the internet into our desktops. OS X ships with Apache, OS X & Windows have Internet Connection Sharing (basic routing), relational filesystems will bring working SQL servers to vanilla operating system installs. These trends open up the way we store and manage our data; more filterdown is coming and I welcome it with anticipation.

internet
6th November 2004, 03:05 PM
good to read some nice switch stories guys&#33;

i switched from Linux to Mac because i was bloody sick of patching (another fucking rootkit?&#33;?&#33;?), recompiling, vi&#39;ing, etc. been on osx since about late 2002. haven&#39;t looked back, try to keep my heart rate down when i walk past an apple store. i&#39;m a apple zealot through and through.

i switched from windows to linux in about 1998 or so as i was really getting into IT and preparing to start my Computer science course

now i&#39;m employed as a network security engineer so my work time is usually unix, it&#39;s nice to go home and have unix still, but without the clunky 1980&#39;s style terminals :)

love my mac and will never go back, it&#39;s like a disease :D