PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu + iMac 233

Cam
1st November 2004, 02:21 PM
Well im on the way to completing my first Linux on Mac installation. So far so good, apart from the fact that my network adapter isnt detected on the 233 iMac. Ill keep you posted. Good tutorial coming soon.

Anyone else had experiences with Linux on a Mac?

the_argon
1st November 2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I tried fro quite a while to get YDL 3 working on my old 6200. The only thing was that the NIC wasn't fully supported or something.... whenever I accessed the machine over LAN the NIC would stop responding :|

Currawong
1st November 2004, 06:53 PM
The 6200 is a nubus Mac so i doubt it would run linux readily anyway.

I just downloaded Ubuntu, and I'm working on finding a drive to install it on to see what it's like.

eni
1st November 2004, 08:26 PM
I was able to get linux running on a 6400 many years ago, but I remember absolutely nothing so I cannot comment.

the_argon
1st November 2004, 08:32 PM
It runs perfectly fine...

Just cant network the bloody thing!

Jimbo
2nd November 2004, 12:02 AM
i dual booted ydl for a while about 6 months ago, but i found it quite useless... it was cool, but i have a redhat machine anyway, it ran fine, but had audio problems (static jumpyness, distortion etc) apart from that as a web server it runs fine and does probably everything you'd wanna do on it... openoffice etc...

elvis
2nd November 2004, 06:28 AM
I've run YellowDog, Debian and FreeBSD on my iMac at one time or another. All of them worked without hassle. Debian is definitely zippier than YellowDog, and FreeBSD makes an excellent cut-back server system.

I was planning on giving Gentoo a go, but at 333MHz compile times would have been rediculous. I think I'll save that for the day I get something faster than 2GHz and with SMP.

One thing I have not tried is plain old OpenDarwin on PPC. I gave it a go on x86 a few years back, but hardware compatability was still low, and things didn't work as well as hoped. If I ever run into a webserving project on PPC again, I might have another go at OpenDarwin and see how it goes.

Danamania
2nd November 2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by elvis@Nov 2 2004, 06:28 AM
Debian is definitely zippier than YellowDog,
I'm glad someone else noticed this. I've run Debian, Mandrake and Yellowdog on mine (an imac 400). Yellowdog really dragged along.

Cam
3rd November 2004, 09:40 AM
Im running it fine. Had a few problems with the XServer.. If you have the same problems..

This is for 233 iMac's with 2mb video memory (for higher, modify the default colours to a higher value, although 16 will work you can obtain higher value's with more memory)..

As root:
'xresprobe ati' and note down the HSync and VSync values

edit XFree86Config file in /etc/X11 (as root) and modify the HSync and VSync values to the reported values in xresprobe, also modify the Default Colours under the Display section to 16 ( for 2mb of video memory ) or 24 for higher.

If you have any problems, free to help..

And yes, there are some problem's with the network adapter. Im working on these now. It will probably require a custom kernel but ill keep you guys posted.

elvis
3rd November 2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by danamania@Nov 2 2004, 07:40 AM
I'm glad someone else noticed this. I've run Debian, Mandrake and Yellowdog on mine (an imac 400). Yellowdog really dragged along.
Anything that has had a redhat base to it (YellowDog, Mandrake, Fedora, RedHat, etc) typically runs as slow as a cold turd uphill in winter. A bit of custom tweaking can help things along, but generally speaking Debain, Slackware and Gentoo are some of the leanest and quickest distros out there, and all are a highly recommend alternative.

For those having networking issues, the iMac network adaptor's driver-module is included with most PPC distros. I'll try and track down the name of the module you need to insmod, but you definitely don't need a custom kernel compile to access it. The problem is it doesn't autodetect, so you need to manually add it to your startup scripts. I had the same drama early on with my old iMac, and still wonder why the thing isn't force-checked by default.

[EDIT]

Right... the module's name is "bmac" (bmac.o). Make sure this is loaded at boot, and that your modules.conf has something along the lines of

alias eth0 bmac

in it. All should be well after that.