PDA

View Full Version : My Mac just died!

JungleNut
31st October 2004, 07:12 PM
Hope someone can help me - as a web designer who has never used a Mac I figured it was about time I did, so I bought a second hand one to explore this new world. But on the second day, it just died! I had just used the text editor to create a file and was about to save it and the whole thing went blank :o
Now the machine wont turn on at all - no lights, no nuthin'! I'm thinking maybe the power supply has karked it, but knowing nothing about macs I thought I'd ask for advice here before I haul it off to the service man.

Here's the details - OSX on Power PC G3, 400MH processor, slot DVD drive.
Does anyone have an idea what it might be?

spawnster
31st October 2004, 07:30 PM
Hi JungleNut,
The iMac DV ( which sound's like what you have ) have a somewhat loose power socket connector. Have you tried resetting it? Basically, just unplugging and plugging the power cord back. I have the same machine and I've experienced that problem once.

Hope this helps. :)

JungleNut
31st October 2004, 07:49 PM
I've pulled the power lead out and put it back in a couple of times, no result.
I also opened up the casing this afternoon to see if I could find anything thing that looked like it was melted, burnt, or otherwise - didn't find anything but I couldn't get a good view of the power supply without digging in too deep, so I'm a bit mystified.

JungleNut
2nd November 2004, 11:03 AM
Ok, looks like I'm not gunna get anywhere here, thanks anyway spawnster for your suggestion :)

I'm off to the mac doc :(

iSlayer
2nd November 2004, 11:15 AM
might be a pmu issue.
common problem with dv's

JungleNut
2nd November 2004, 11:40 AM
'scuse my ignorance, but whats a pmu?

iSlayer
2nd November 2004, 11:47 AM
power managment unit.

JungleNut
2nd November 2004, 12:04 PM
Hmmm, you're a mine of information, islayer :)

Tell me, in your valued opinion, is this a major drama for my machine or an easy fix? So far the only Mac serviceman I've been able to contact has told me its going to cost about $500 to fix, but since I only paid $300 for a machine that has sat on my bench for 4 days and worked for just one of them I'm not sure if I want to shell it out.

iSlayer
2nd November 2004, 12:14 PM
um ill have to check my service manuals.
dont pay $500

varsis
7th November 2004, 01:42 AM
i had that problem and we paid for it to be fixed, the problem was the power supply thing had to be replaced...

macmate
7th November 2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by islayer@Nov 2 2004, 12:14 PM
um ill have to check my service manuals.
dont pay $500
if your in melbourne bring it to me at 145 Miller St Thornbury and i will look at it quickly for free. if the board needs to be replaced then i will see if i have a second hand one lying around. if i do we will work something out.

Comet
7th November 2004, 04:09 AM
Talk about bad luck. I'm sorry to hear about this problem. I've heard this is the first thing that goes on these iMacs.

JungleNut
8th November 2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks macmate, but I'm almost as far from Melbourne as you can get :)

The latest in this saga is, I managed to contact another service guy, who said he would give me a quote for $45, but wanted a commitment to go ahead with the repair before he started - what the...?

He doesn't seem to have grasped the idea behind paying for a quote! Ahh, ya gotta laugh :D

aaarrrnnn
7th January 2005, 02:41 PM
from the sounds of it, it might be cheaper to hop on jetstar/virgin blue and take it down to melbourne to macmate!

macmate
7th January 2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by aaarrrnnn@Jan 7 2005, 02:41 PM
from the sounds of it, it might be cheaper to hop on jetstar/virgin blue and take it down to melbourne to macmate!
hahahahahaha, sad but true. just offered my spare time to do it free cause i hate seeing people screwed around by service centres. good luck with it.