PDA

View Full Version : HELP, HELP

leongt
31st October 2004, 09:44 AM
My son's Imac wont respond to the mouse after he starts it up he cannot open any folders or use the menu's and has to use his OS 9.2 cd to use his computer, I don't know a dam thing about mac's so any ideas please, and no it's not a faulty mouse it works ok if he has the OS cd in the cd drive, I used the repair program that was on the OS disk and that is telling me that every thing is ok with his system but it's got some problem.

mjankor
31st October 2004, 10:17 AM
That is very strange. Just to verify is he having mouse problems in 9.2 or X?

kim jong il
31st October 2004, 10:23 AM
I think we may need a tiny bit more information here.

What type of imac? What OS is installed? AND when you say it works if the OS install CD is in do you mean booting off the install CD?

Under OS 9 it is possible that someone mucking around with the extensions manager has disabled USB support (i.e disabled USB extensions) and restarted the mac. The mac will not care that it has been disabled but it won't work either. When you boot from the CD this support is also booted automatically and it all works.

Please let us know. If you are wanting quick responses I will try to check back regularly. This hopefully is an easy one.

cheers, kim

EDIT: If you are using OS 9.x.x and do not have a copy of the standard installed system you may be best off just reinstalling OS 9. Disabling or removing extensions in OS 9 is not wise if you are unsure what functionallity they provide.

leongt
31st October 2004, 10:45 AM
he has OS 9.2 installed on a Imac 233 128meg ram 10g hdd, and yes he's booting off the OS, he has a lot of stuff he's downloaded useing limewire that he dosent wont to lose if I have too reformat, he did a reinstall of the OS but it still did the same thing, also forgot to say the mouse pointer workes ok it just dosent do a thing when you click on any of the things on the screen. I would burn them on a cd and reformat his computer if I knew how to network his mac to my PC.

Currawong
31st October 2004, 11:12 AM
I'd say, boot off of the 9.2.2 CD and run the Disk First Aid program, it's found in the Utilities folder inside the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder. It's very likely the hard disk directories have serious issues.

mjankor
31st October 2004, 11:19 AM
I'll think about if while I'm shopping and I'll have another response later this aternoon.

kim jong il
31st October 2004, 11:39 AM
This is the most recent forum link (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2059) regarding mac to PC networking. Decryption is probably the man to help with mac to PC networking. Hope this is of value if you need to transfer files to a PC

EDIT: you can always reinstall the system without erasing the HD but remember that Limewire places the 'shared' folder in the 'preferences' folder in the 'System Folder' under OS 9.x. If you want to replace it make sure you remove his files first (he'll be mightily unhappy if you delete everything he has leeched)

leongt
31st October 2004, 01:22 PM
just tryed to install OS 9.2 again but after it rebooted all that came up on the screen was a grey background with {Default Catch, Code=300 at, could not read what the rest of the string was} in white letters on the left of the screen, and I did use the first aid program that's on the cd but that didn't work.

leongt
31st October 2004, 04:42 PM
I think I've maybe found the problem, when I went into the systems fold to set the drive to boot from it keeps on saying drive locked when I try to boot from the hdd, I can only boot from the cd-rom drive, what dose drive locked mean and how can I unlock the hdd.

Currawong
31st October 2004, 07:32 PM
You NEED to take my suggestion about running Disk First Aid while booted from the CD, as trying to re-install will probably damage more data that's on there already.

mjankor
31st October 2004, 10:46 PM
I'm afraid I haven't had any good ideas. It's been years since I played with OS 9 (I was an X early adopter).

However putting that Default Catch, Code=300 phrase into google yields a wealth of pages. It almost looks from my brief appraisal that the firmware requires updating.

Which area of Australia are you in. If you're near me I'll see if I can prepare a boot disk with firmware updates, etc.

I'll just read some more and then might post again.

mjankor
31st October 2004, 10:56 PM
OK I've been doing some reading. Try this.

Boot your OS9 CD (Hold 'C' while booting with CD in drive). Once it's booted, open the Utilities folder on the CD and run Drive Setup. Select your hard drive and then select "Update Driver" from the Drive menu. This should allow your system to boot OS 9 again.

mjankor
31st October 2004, 10:58 PM
Hey, noticed the mac hub problem query (5/12/2002)- I've got the same problem on my G4 AGP. Got a Swann Powered USB hub hooked up to the usb port on the motherboard. When I start up or re-boot and the hub's powered up, the mac gives me a grey screen with the folllowing error: Get-Class-Descr for Hub error0 ffbd8c90 9 Default Catch!, code= 300 at %SRR0:

If I unplug the hub and re-boot the mac, it works fine. If I then plug the hub back in, I have full access to all the USB peripherals. Help!!! I don't want to have to unplug and plug the hub back in each time!!!

I also found this

leongt
1st November 2004, 07:57 AM
yes I think it mite be the firmware, I unpluged his USB hub and when it booted I got this {Apple Firmware 3.0 f2 built on 04/23/99 and then it went to a command prompt} I even went as far as wipeing the hole OS off his system and just left his stuff on then reinstalled the OS but it would still only booted to a grey screen, off this topic for a moment {do you find typing replies on this site is slugish and slow } for me it is anyway.

kim jong il
1st November 2004, 11:45 AM
Sorry. It performs beautifully. Weeks ago when they moved to the new host it was a bit flaky for a couple of days and just last week danamanias groupies put the server under a bit of pressure. Basicallly it accepts input as fast as i can type (as it should as we are typing on our home machines) If you have issues with the site you will have to ask the_argon as I am pretty sure he IS the man.

kim

PS firmware updates can often be a good idea but read about what they were introduced for at the Apple site. They are not always a good idea as I discovered this year when I disabled 512 MB RAM with the 4.2.8f update on my G4

leongt
1st November 2004, 12:15 PM
this dam computer of my son's has got me beat, I carn't up date the firmware becouse I carn't use the cd drive, it has the OS cd in it and if I use the manual eject I lose all the icons and the mouse won't work, he dose have a USB floppy drive but it won't read the floppy's becouse thay are PC formatted, and I cannot find any firmware updates on the OS 9.1 cd, is there a Mac emulator that I could use on my PC becouse I could take the HDD out of his machine and use it as a slave drive in my computer then burn his stuff onto disk, that's the only way around this problem I think and then I can reformat the HDD, dame kids driveing me insane about it and I haven't had time to try the tiger wood's 2005 golf I brought.

tempestas
1st November 2004, 02:08 PM
Sounds like the advice given thud far is correct.

Power it down with the OS9 install CD in the drive,

boot up holding down the "C" key,

Run disk first aid, then update disk driver. You should be able to see the iMac's HDD make sure both the "system" & "finder" icons are insde the system folder.

Then go Apple-> Control panel's-> startup disk & select the iMac's HDD then restart.

The CD will always be locked as it is non-writable.

If disk first aid tells you there are errors it can't fix, you need to get a copy of Techtool Pro or Norton's Utilities for Mac, but make sure it will work with Mac OS 9, before you buy it.(the latest versions might be OS X only)

leongt
1st November 2004, 03:14 PM
I gave up in discust and reformated his HDD and his system is working ok again, I'll buy him one of those USB exturnal hdd/cdrw/DVD case's so he can burn his stuff onto cd, and besides the 24 speed cdrom in the iMacs are crap anyway like the one I have in my laptop, I want to thank everyone for there help untill the next time he stuff's up his computer.

Leon