PDA

View Full Version : Why I own a Mac - #7851

decryption
29th October 2004, 10:52 PM
Jonathan Ive gave a speech at his old university about design and told the students:
"Apple as a company isn't about making money, it's about making nice things. We make money to support our desire to make nice things."

I can't even imagine the chief designer of say, Dell or Hewlett Packard saying that.. can you? :P

Entire article - http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?N...age=1&pagePos=1 (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10020&Page=1&pagePos=1)

mjankor
29th October 2004, 11:12 PM
I've always believed that's the main modus operandi of Apple. I hope they keep on following their principles

Phillip
29th October 2004, 11:13 PM
They have a chief "designer" at Dell? :lol:

Jonathan Ive is God :)

Buthidae
30th October 2004, 02:07 AM
It's people like him that make my PowerBook the best large purchase I've ever made :D

downsys
30th October 2004, 04:58 AM
Dell might not even have a designer, but HP - assuming they have one - would plagiarise someone else's speech and deliver it as their own. as what they did to the iPods and the iPaqs :D. HP - Invent - :rolleyes:

kim jong il
30th October 2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Oct 29 2004, 11:13 PM
They have a chief "designer" at Dell? :lol:

Jonathan Ive is God :)
I believe they do. I'm pretty sure it's some factory worker in a plastic fabrication or assembly plant in Guandong Province China or something.
kim

hawker
30th October 2004, 08:29 AM
Oh, this is good:

Jobs, of course, returned to Apple, and the design team "started work on the iMac on the day he returned to the company," said Ive.

Former Apple CEO John Sculley has sometimes claimed that he initiated Apple's iMac development. Ive denied this: "I've heard a couple of things - that's a myth."

In a rare show of sarcasm, he added: "Sure, we had loads of iMacs and iPods on the drawing board before Steve Jobs came back to the company."

kim jong il
30th October 2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Oct 30 2004, 08:29 AM
Oh, this is good:
Former Apple CEO John Sculley has sometimes claimed that he initiated Apple's iMac development
Well....... Maybe he did. He was hopeless and wasn't he sacked? So he left, Jobs came back and the imac began. Through sheer hopelessness he did initiate the development of the imac. CEO's are a bit like politicians (tireless self promoters). Its all about how you spin it

LCGuy
30th October 2004, 12:08 PM
Wrong. It was Spindler that killed Apple. Sculley actually wasn't that bad, especially in the mid - late '80s and early '90s, he kept Apple profitable, market share high, and product quality high. It was when he left and Spindler came that it started going downhill.

kim jong il
30th October 2004, 12:33 PM
I stand corrected. Business is not something that fascinates me much as a rule but I never mind being proved wrong.
A question springs to mind (temporarily assume I am too lazy to google this please)

Why then is Sculley an object of contempt and derision? At senior management level you have to commit a pretty major sin for the 'boys' club to break ranks and go for the throat of the offender. (they'll admit that a person has weaknesses but then protect them for all they are worth) My 'industry' uses management peer review which means that they all say what fine people they all are (write wonderful peer reviews about each other and when witnesses are gone some amazingly sharp knives CAN come out). I for example am at the bottom of the heap and have just finished about three months punishment duty for critical comments about those senior to me. I was gobsmacked recently when a person 3 levels above me was singing my bosses praises for the work I have done over the last 18 months "the way he organizes it is brilliant......" He organizes things so I organize and do it for him. Brilliant.

There is a saying "You can get the job done OR you can take credit for it. You CANNOT do both" This is probably the real basis for my question. It might have been a geeky trades assistant who came up with the ideas (imac and such) with multiple managers (Sculley, Jobs etc) all striving to take credit for the idea.