PDA

View Full Version : Preferred email service?

scruffie
29th October 2004, 10:17 PM
Not sure whether this i've posted this into the right section.

Was wondering what email service do you guys prefer. I'm currrently using spymac but i am thinking of migrating to somewhere a little bit more reliable and faster than whats being offered with spymac.

Can't afford a .mac account though...

petruk
29th October 2004, 10:25 PM
Many people recommend fastmail.fm
gmail.com seems quite reliable and it's got 1Gb of storage. I can give you an 'invitation' if you don't have an account already.
If you've got a broadband ISP, their email is probably the best, with the best integration of POP3/IMAP and webmail and is usually fast, but depending on the ISP is not necessarily more reliable.

Cheers,

-petruk

decryption
29th October 2004, 10:27 PM
gmail certainly gets my vote.
Get that invite off Petruk and you're laughing all the way to e-mail happiness :)

scruffie
29th October 2004, 10:30 PM
yeah i have to admit - i am a bit of an email slut. i have a yahoo, hotmail, gmail, spymac and fastmail. i just cant find something which provides a huge storage space (or rather a decent storage space and decent attachment allowance) that allows me to use pop/imap. (prefer pop because its a wee faster imho).

i had gmail but i really dont like how they dont accept .exe files.

i&#39;m thinking of just getting a mailbox from ozemail and using that. dunno about their attachment allowance though. <_<

spargo
29th October 2004, 10:37 PM
Hi scruffie..

Myself and a few others in here use Gmail e-mail accounts within Safari, and the Gmail notifier program which sits on the Menu bar (but to-date it cannot be setup within Mail or Entourage). I began using .mac as part of the free offer when buying my PB, but it ran out last week and I could not justify renewing it - i just couldn&#39;t see what it offered in comparison to free services such as Gmail and various on-line storage sites.. They really need to re-think what you are actually paying & getting with .mac ...

In addition to that -in Entourage, we have my fiance&#39;s Hotmail account and my work exchange server e-mail account set up, and they both work/sync fine. I think they can also be setup within Mail in the same way, however my work prefers I use MS Office.

Not sure if that helps - if you want a Gmail account drop me a line, or do a search through the Forums for an old thread which more information on the program.

adamjc
29th October 2004, 10:46 PM
Im with Netspace ADSL and find that their email accounts, are terriffic, they offer up to 10 per user. Very worthwhile, and it is bundled within the plan and can be accessed from any mail program.

-Adamjc

internet
30th October 2004, 05:07 AM
i have gmail if u wants one&#33; pm me

hawker
30th October 2004, 08:40 AM
Once you buy a .com and web space you never go back. Means your e-mail never changes, despite how many ISP&#39;s you go through ;)

Currawong
30th October 2004, 08:54 AM
I&#39;ll second having your own .com. You can get them cheap - under US&#036;10/month.

Ozi
30th October 2004, 10:24 AM
yah my popsie bought a domain, so its really easy to just tell people that my email dress is "firstname@lastname.net" :) And i love my gmail.

petruk
30th October 2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I&#39;ve got a setup with my own domain too.

About POP3 through Gmail, have a look here:
http://libgmail.sourceforge.net/

I&#39;ve got a similar setup and it works fine, albeit slow (because it has to convert POP3 commands into web commands).

Yahoo has real POP3 too (but you have to sign up to something to get it - it didn&#39;t cost though).

Still using your own domain + ISP email is the best for me.

Cheers,

-petruk

scruffie
30th October 2004, 11:02 AM
Thanks&#33; I&#39;ll look into the domain name stuff...

Grr... expensive. All the cheapo .coms are taken. Grr... I will have to kill my kind. :)

Cam
30th October 2004, 11:59 AM
I use my own domain with my a webmail client on it. I then use entourage for mac and outlook 2003 for windows.

If anyone&#39;s got a domain for primarely this purpose ill host it.

petruk
30th October 2004, 01:15 PM
You should be able to get .com for AUD&#036;15/year and id.au for &#036;33/2 years. I&#39;ve got the latter.

Cheers,

-petruk

Ozi
30th October 2004, 02:55 PM
Unicycling, Petruk? bizarre. :P

petruk
30th October 2004, 07:09 PM
&#39;Tis my bros (2 of 3) who do that :)

I don&#39;t actually have any coordination at all :D