PDA

View Full Version : osx jokes

Hobart
28th October 2004, 12:04 AM
open the system preferences. go to the speech pane. turn on speakable items, and to speek back text. then say "tell me a joke"

Quamen
28th October 2004, 09:38 AM
it doesn't do anything for me. Doesn't seem to like my accent or something.

Ozi
28th October 2004, 10:33 AM
It says "knock knock" and then when I say "whos there" it doesn't say anything. :(

Phillip
29th October 2004, 11:18 PM
I tend to think the speech recognition in Mac OS X is a big dodge. Hope it improves in Tiger :)

p996911turbo
30th October 2004, 12:24 AM
I discovered those way back... I can still remember the unforgivable: "Orange you glad you bought a Power Macintosh?"

Is that still in there?

kim jong il
30th October 2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Phillip@Oct 29 2004, 11:18 PM
I tend to think the speech recognition in Mac OS X is a big dodge. Hope it improves in Tiger :)
Yep. I mucked about with speech under OS X for a few hours. I discovered that it was far more responsive if I used a forced put on american accent (without it it was not really functional at all). Just listening to myself putting on this pathetic attempt at a North American accent made me abandon the idea really quickly. Some commands I could never make work (If any actual americans had been around they might have begged me to stop sooner)

PS I'm pretty sure Hobart is from the US and cannot be expected to know that macs don't much like listening to Australian accents. (I tried this tip before but got nothing so figured it was bogus this time too)

eni
30th October 2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by p996911turbo@Oct 30 2004, 12:24 AM
I discovered those way back... I can still remember the unforgivable: "Orange you glad you bought a Power Macintosh?"

Is that still in there?
Sadly #1, I remember that too.
Sadly #2, my computer wasn't a power macintosh.
Sadly #3, I just searched for speach and found this

You can even ask your computer to tell you a joke - I did this a few times. I say 'Tell me a joke' ( and this is a true joke it told me) it said 'knock, knock', I replied 'Who's there?' it said 'Orange', I said 'Orange who?' it replied 'Orange you glad you bought Mac OSX?' I laughed pretty hard when I heard that one.

I can't get past the "knock knock" part though, so I think I'm safe...

internet
30th October 2004, 03:25 PM
doesn't like my thick straylian accent mate :)

cmetom
30th October 2004, 03:46 PM
what's even funnier is if you turn on the voice-system-control thingy...

you can open and close applications, with your forced american accent.
"open ical"
"quit ical" etc

the funny bit happens when you say "quit finder"
the computer will say "that's not very nice." or something along those lines ^_^

Phillip
30th October 2004, 11:15 PM
Ah... I have just bothered with it again for the first time in since I got Mac OS X and the Speech recognition works... if you try to sound American. :angry:

I can say simple stuff like iTunes and iChat. Just don't make me do System Preferences : :huh: