PDA

View Full Version : Which web browser do you use?

Currawong
12th February 2004, 07:24 AM
I'm interested to know what people think of available browsers, especially since Firefox/Firebird has been updated, and on my G4, appears almost as fast as Safari.

Has anyone tried Ominweb 5? Are people tempted to move away from Safari, especially people stuck using Mac OS X 10.2? Would you pay for features in a browser, or only use free ones?

I'm using Safari 1.2 in 10.3, but I do have Firefox as a backup for some sites that just don't work. Thankfully they're few and far between. IE is the only program that works for me with webmail for my mobile phone, and the interface for my Netgear modem/router, however.

jameso
12th February 2004, 08:18 AM
well, i think that people use safari. I will be using omniweb 5 when they fix the 1 or 2 bugs that have driven me back to safari.

jameso

Disko
12th February 2004, 08:37 AM
I really hope this poll doesn't reveal a whole bunch of IE users. :unsure:

the_argon
12th February 2004, 09:02 AM
I only use safari on mac, at work I use a combo of IE and Firebird/Firefox

cmetom
12th February 2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 12 2004, 09:37 AM
I really hope this poll doesn't reveal a whole bunch of IE users. :unsure:
so far so good..

besides, if it does it means we can educate them. no point preaching to the converted! :)

elvis
12th February 2004, 09:24 AM
The very first thing i do on any of my macs when doing a clean install is delete IE. I refuse to use any browser that can't even conform to a simple W3C standard.

Pre safari, I used camino (which then became firebird and now firefox).

I've got firefox installed currently, but I still use Safari as my primary browser. On linux and windows firefox is my primary browser, so I play with it from time to time on Mac for a bit of a laugh.

Basically speaking, and website I can't view in either safari or mozilla isn't worth viewing. :)

Byrd
12th February 2004, 09:28 AM
I 'enjoy' :) using IE 6.0 for most browsing, and Opera 7.2 for speed.

Oh, I use a PC predominantly :(

elvis
12th February 2004, 10:03 AM
IE is a steaming pile of fly-blown nuetered sheep testicles rotting in the sun.

Oh, did I mention I don't like it? :)

I use PCs predominantly also. I try my hardest to avoid Microsoft software at all costs. It's not that hard to do so, despite what some say.

mbd
12th February 2004, 05:20 PM
I hate microsoft, and I hate Internet Explorer (aside from being a crap browser, the fact that microsoft used it as a tool for destroying what was once the best Internet technology company on the planet)...

Unfortunately, there are a couple of sites that I go to, such as westpac business internet banking where I.E. seems to be the only OS X browser that works...

Hopefully others who have these issues do what I do, and express extreme dissatisfaction with the companies running web pages which are like this, so they can be aware that they are stopping people from being able to choose better software for all their browsing.

cogo
12th February 2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Feb 12 2004, 10:03 AM
IE is a steaming pile of fly-blown nuetered sheep testicles rotting in the sun.
did you ever use IE 5 for OS9?
as much as i hate to say it, that was probably one of the better browsers in its day

cmetom
12th February 2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by cogo@Feb 12 2004, 08:23 PM
did you ever use IE 5 for OS9?
as much as i hate to say it, that was probably one of the better browsers in its day
in it's day is exactly right.

it gained so much popularity because it was free and was just as good, if not better, than the competition.. then its development slowed to something pathetic and then the mozilla-core based browsers began to appear, with equal and then better features.

IE got on top with no cost, financially. this is now a given.
Now, others like safari and firefox are getting on top with feature-richness.

my two cents

LCGuy
12th February 2004, 11:45 PM
Depends what machine I'm on. If i'm on my iMac, i'll definately be using Safari. If i'm at uni on my Dell, i'll be using Mozilla. If i'm at the other house, on my LC475, i'll be using iCab. If i'm anywhere else, i'll most probably be using IEXPLODE. (my name for Internet Explorer) :angry:

~Coxy
12th February 2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by cmetom@Feb 12 2004, 10:15 AM
so far so good..

besides, if it does it means we can educate them. no point preaching to the converted! :)
Looks like I'm the only one so far.

On a side note, the method of quoting a post on this forum is crazy.

cmetom
13th February 2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by ~Coxy@Feb 13 2004, 12:59 AM
how so?

LCGuy
13th February 2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by ~Coxy@Feb 12 2004, 11:59 PM
Looks like I'm the only one so far.

I know. But thats just the way Invision Power Board works.

Velociraptors
13th February 2004, 03:19 AM
Safari on my emac or imac when it's in OSX.

iCab with a vaguely safari look on whichever random quadra I have running :)

http://www.danamania.com/temp/safaricab.jpg

dana

mbd
13th February 2004, 07:32 AM
Here's a new site I'm having problems with....

Can anyone get past step four of this online ordering site (for movie tickets)?;

https://www.ebooking.com.au/booking/Venue/indexNova.htm

You need to select a film, then session time, and step four is selecting number of tickets. I can't seem to get past it on any OS X browser I've tried (so far; Safari 1.2, Firefox, IE and Camino). The furthest is with Safari, where after entering the number of tickets I want and a phone number, it gives me a javascript alert telling me I need to select the number of tickets I want...

sillydog701
23rd February 2004, 02:43 PM
In Mac, I use Safari 1.0, since my Mac is only G4 400.

In PC, I use Netscape 7.1 Streamline (http://sillydog.org/narchive/sd/71.html).

Tried MSIE 5.2.2 last night, was very very slow.
http://sillydog.org/graph/temp/screenshot_ie522mac.jpg

stevejay
24th February 2004, 05:58 AM
Duh, Safari 1.2, it&#39;s a no brainer ;) I still have Macroslop Idiot Exploiter on my Mac, but that&#39;s only because my missus refuses to change... <sigh>

hawker
24th February 2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 12 2004, 08:37 AM
I really hope this poll doesn&#39;t reveal a whole bunch of IE users. :unsure:
I have to say I voted IE, the only reason is that Safari has been giving me hell lately. Sure I am a web designer and I push the envelope with browsers, but when they crash and continue to crash it gets me angry :angry:

Disko
24th February 2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 24 2004, 06:28 AM
I have to say I voted IE, the only reason is that Safari has been giving me hell lately. Sure I am a web designer and I push the envelope with browsers, but when they crash and continue to crash it gets me angry
Yeah, it used to crash for me - so i redownloaded the java update, and redownloaded safari 1.2 - reinstalled them both. It helps.

hawker
24th February 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 24 2004, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it used to crash for me - so i redownloaded the java update, and redownloaded safari 1.2 - reinstalled them both. It helps.
Hey, if that works, my worries are over&#33; Back to Safari&#33;

codeman
2nd March 2004, 03:53 AM
On PC I use Mozilla 1.5 exclusively, in &#39;Doze and Linux.

On Mac (OS X 10.3), I normally use Mozilla (nfi which version), but I don&#39;t fully know how to use Safari (although from first impressions I quite like it) - I can&#39;t really see any speed problems since going from my 2ghz AthlonXP at home to the 1ghz iMac G4 at uni makes everything look slow :P

kim jong il
3rd March 2004, 04:45 AM
EDIT: deleted

jameso
3rd March 2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Mar 3 2004, 04:45 AM
If you find a genuine IE fan, it&#39;s probably someone who has never used safari.
I am a genuine IE fan.........................................

No, really, i am.... =)

Sorry, i can&#39;t do it, i admit it, i am lying

jameso

DVD Plaza
7th March 2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by elvis@Feb 12 2004, 09:24 AM
The very first thing i do on any of my macs when doing a clean install is delete IE. I refuse to use any browser that can&#39;t even conform to a simple W3C standard.
Actually Internet Explorer: Mac was, until recent times, one of the most standards compliant browsers that exists - it&#39;s the Winblows version you&#39;re thinking of.

The performance of Internet Explorer: Mac, however, is another story - IE for Winblows might be incredibly slow but IE for Mac is so insanely slow (especially after numerous refreshes, must be a resource leak as it gets to the point where even quitting it will take up to 10 seconds) there MUST be intentional loops in the code.

Personally I use Camino - Safari is damn fine but I simply cannot stand brushed metal (iTunes is fine, but not large/multi windows).

jameso
11th March 2004, 07:30 AM
BRUSHED METAL&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

jameso

Paul Warren
11th March 2004, 09:01 PM
I use firefox : )

Herbie
12th March 2004, 03:28 AM
I&#39;m using Safari on my Macs. FireFox on the lone PC in the house.

kim jong il
12th March 2004, 04:08 AM
EDIT: deleted

mhollis
13th March 2004, 12:28 AM
For those who don&#39;t like the Brushed Metal interface on Safari, there is Safari Aquifier (http://www.scifience.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2)

Safari does have a security fault (http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Mar/1009362.html), though so users of Safari should look for an update from Apple.

And to make Internet Exploder W3C Compliant, a guy named Dean Edwards has created a Stylesheet called IE 7 (http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/intro/) that makes the browser (in Windoze, I suppose) completely compliant. Note: His site is currently down due to everyone and their dog hitting it and he is looking for another host.