PDA

View Full Version : Sound Studio vs Garageband

Secoa
12th February 2004, 06:36 AM
I have a simple question if I am trying to convert my LP's to CD and onto iTunes (hopefully to listen on an iPod but that purchase will have to wait) is it best to use sound studio or garageband. I realise garageband is intended to create music and "automatically" shows your work in iTunes. Would it be best to use garageband instead of Sound Studio??

I have about 150 LP's to convert :)

When importing an LP can I later splice up the tracks rather than recording per track? As it is going to take some time to do I am looking for the most effecient way.

Thanks

cmetom
12th February 2004, 09:10 AM
i've done 1 LP, on a Windows machine using Cool Edit 2000. My general advice is to make sure the record is clean and you have a good sound coming from the player - trying to remove hiss and clicks and stuff after is either impossible or anally painstaking.

if you can edit the wave, point-by-point (click and drag style) then you can zoom right in and get rid of any major clicks or pops, but consistent stuff is hard without destroying the music.

Re: the software to use, I'd use whatever is easiest to import to iTunes, whatever lets you splice the easiest and whatever lets you edit the wave as i described above.
of course, manually importing raw waves or aiffs to iTunes and converting them there to mp3 or aac is no big deal, so i'd concentrate on the other requirements.

best thing to do would be to try out one LP, maybe record two tracks so you can try splicing, and see which one is better for a mass-scale job.

cmetom

stevejay
13th February 2004, 11:08 AM
150 LPs ouch, I'm choking on 50!

I love garage band, but it's not really suited to the purpose of dubbing LPs to iTunes. Also, GB only does AIFFs when exporting to iTunes, the same as Sound Studio.

Use SoundStudio, do the job one track at a time, wiping the disk with a special disk cleaning cloth between each track and drag/drop the finished, cleaned up audio file into a playlist in iTunes.

From there I burn to CD, erase the tracks from itunes and import from the CD as mp3 (or AAC if that is your preference.) This gives a CD backup at best quality of the album, and is the easiest way to convert.

Call me old school, but I don't bother cleaning up scratches and pops. My disks are in good order, and lets face it, they're vinyl, the clicks and pops are part of the magic. If you really must filter your vinyl, try Roxio Toast (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml) their Spin Doctor utility is nice.

Byrd
13th February 2004, 12:53 PM
I agree about the pops and clicks steve - my last LP purchase of The White Stripes: Elephant has a much more gritty, realistic feel on vinyl.

JB