PDA

View Full Version : Mac lan's?

Sam
26th October 2004, 04:28 PM
As a long time computer user, I have been to more than a few LAN parties over the years, most of them very good some of them bad (yes lets all rig up wifi in a house with 5 cordless phones..), anyway has anyone ever been to a LAN puerly with macs? or even seen such at thing?
If not maybe someone should organise one, hell I probably would but considering Perth is such a hideous distance from anywhere....

any way, must dash works not going to complete it's self...

p996911turbo
26th October 2004, 09:28 PM
I've been wanting to have a Mac LAN for ages but the number of people who are appropriate (i.e. own Macs, would be interested, competent, and live nearby) kind of doesn't work for me. I know ONE person who fits the bill... Sad really.

Ozi
26th October 2004, 09:34 PM
:D Anyone wanting to do a LAN party in Melbourne can count me in. :lol:

mjankor
26th October 2004, 09:39 PM
I have been to many Lan's where I'm the only Mac user. Of course a Dual G5 with a 20" ACD seems to command a bit of respect from most of the x86 people. I'd love to partake in a purely Mac lan though. Even half a dozen people would be enough.

Post here if you're in Adelaide and would be interested.

decryption
26th October 2004, 09:54 PM
Gothikon, Byrd and I were talking about doing something similar over the Christmas holidays here in Melbourne.
Hire out a hall, get a projector, a few DVDs, sofas, food, drinks and lots of Macs and file sharing! Lots of cool things and competitions, like an Apple quiz and a few prizes and other stuff I haven't thought of becuase I haven't given it much thought yet.
Feel free to suggest ideas though! :D
It's something I certainly want to happen.

scruffie
26th October 2004, 10:19 PM
Ooh i'm interested. I'm in syd though. :(

Since i have moved to mac (i still have a centrino somewhere) I'm trying to figure out what games i should buy so i can live happily in my mac world, yet still be able to train up and kick butt.

I'm thinking of battlefields but that's all that comes to mind (sorry for it being a wee of o/t)

Phillip
26th October 2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Oct 26 2004, 09:54 PM
Gothikon, Byrd and I were talking about doing something similar over the Christmas holidays here in Melbourne.
Hire out a hall, get a projector, a few DVDs, sofas, food, drinks and lots of Macs and file sharing! Lots of cool things and competitions, like an Apple quiz and a few prizes and other stuff I haven't thought of becuase I haven't given it much thought yet.
Feel free to suggest ideas though! :D
It's something I certainly want to happen.
That sounds cool. Count me in if the dates are good :)

macmate
26th October 2004, 10:30 PM
count me in for the melbourne party!!

Febs
26th October 2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Si_man@Oct 26 2004, 04:28 PM
has anyone ever been to a LAN puerly with macs? or even seen such at thing?
Yep.

Many years ago Taj (not sure if he's a member here) from #macintosh on oz.org held one.
(We're talking back in the day when the B/W 400MHz G3 I brought was a pretty speedy machine. :))

Everyone there was from #macintosh, so yep, it was a Mac-only LAN. Lots of 10bT filesharing and gaming happening. :)

~Coxy
27th October 2004, 12:05 AM
The University Computer Club at UWA has regular LANs... they aren't exactly Mac-only but there's plenty of club machines for members to use for games of ET or Battlefield, and of course your Mac can run UT2004/Quake3/War3/Starcraft as good as any PC.

Next one is this Saturday, if you're interested in joining up.

frenchtoast
27th October 2004, 01:38 AM
I'd be in if it won't be the disaster the election day appletalk meet was.

Currawong
27th October 2004, 07:58 AM
I'm thinking also of having a Sydney meet soon. However, I'll have to find if there are any wireless hot spots in the CBD first.

pipsqeek
27th October 2004, 02:01 PM
Sydney Meet sounds good.

As far as LAN's go. I am usually the only one with a Mac at SGL and MPU.

But in that time, I have converted a few people over and I have even seen some people come in with Apple Pro k/b's. I have yet to see the day they bring an Apple mouse.

I cop shit for using a Mac at these LAN's, but its usually only from the people that don't know me. So, during the chat. I ask them if they want to take it outside, meet me at the entry! I suspect its the ones that are walking this way and turn and pretend they were going somewhere else.

HAHHAAHA, its fun being all intimidating looking. :blink:

pipsqeek

Currawong
27th October 2004, 07:11 PM
I have a nice little micro ATX PC for portable gaming (also because I like small and neat). I found UMART sell 300W mATX PSU's too, so I might have to convert a 6100 just for the amusement value.

adamjc
27th October 2004, 08:37 PM
What is a lan party exactly? Just play games over a lan connection?

mjankor
27th October 2004, 08:40 PM
Yeah you basically get a whole swag of machines joined up over a decent network and play games.

It can be really fun because it often turns into a big party with lots of junk food, chat and general mayhem.

adamjc
27th October 2004, 08:43 PM
Sounds good, if I have an iBook by then, count me in!

Lucas
27th October 2004, 09:33 PM
Ive been to a few lans with my ibook (only for virus free leeching) But an apple lan would be great. If you want to think outside the box on a "meeting" with airport express people could meet anywhere. Public library? Uni library? Perhaps meeting a house is simplest and cheapest.

mjankor
27th October 2004, 10:15 PM
Yeah or a scout/church hall if quite a few people are going. It's always best to get everyone in one room.

It's also a good idea to try and get hold of a serious 100bt switch as a lot of traffic can flow over the network between leeching and gaming.

p996911turbo
27th October 2004, 10:22 PM
If you're all prepared to come to Canberra I can supply a nice church hall with heaps of power points (something everyone forgets when planning a LAN) plus fridges...

Jimbo
27th October 2004, 10:58 PM
where abouts turbo?

Currawong
28th October 2004, 08:25 AM
There are some good online guides with "howto's" for setting up a LAN, "Make sure you have a building with a very strong power supply and bring plenty of garbage bins, power boards etc" kind of thing.

I have, still, a high quality rackmount 8 port hub. If I was going to go to or help set up a LAN meet, I've been meaning to get a gigabit switch for home, so I'd get one and bring it.

Sam
28th October 2004, 11:32 AM
speaking to the guy who mentioned the UWA computer club, I would consider it, I could probably get in too, my best mate knows a few people there I belive...

~Coxy
28th October 2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, membership is open to members of the public as well.

Since it's late in the year, I could sign you up for $10; this will get you into the two LANs this week and early next year, the Camp (three day LAN in latte November), as well as full use of the club machines, members rates on drinks and snacks, etc.

Just a bit of self promotion there! :P

p996911turbo
28th October 2004, 04:58 PM
where abouts turbo?

All Saints' Anglican Church, Ainslie.

edit: Had to fix another broken quote... Admins, why doesn't it work when I hit the "quote" button at the top of a post?

Alazoral
30th October 2004, 03:42 PM
Sounds good, if anyone gets a Sydney one going, e-mail me at leon@chaoseffect.com, I'll be there for sure.

scruffie
31st October 2004, 07:05 AM
Ditto. How many sydney people do we have in here?

kim jong il
31st October 2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by p996911turbo@Oct 28 2004, 04:58 PM
edit: Had to fix another broken quote... Admins, why doesn't it work when I hit the "quote" button at the top of a post?
I've noticed that you have complained about the broken quote thing a few times. I have to wonder what browser you are using as this function works absolutely flawlessly for me with Safari and 10.3.5. I don't know about other browsers. I don't use Firefox as it is buggy and crashes. Netscape is sooo slow its painful and IE is comically pathetic and an example of how crappy a MS product can be - crashes so much it is completely unusable e.g. 5 times in three minutes and all I was trying to do was harvest a URL) It was a battle to get the link up and copy it before IE crashed.

Post some details (OS and browser) as I am fairly sure this is not an Appletalk.au issue

p996911turbo
31st October 2004, 08:15 PM
QUOTE (p996911turbo @ Oct 28 2004, 04:58 PM)

I've noticed that you have complained about the broken quote thing a few times. I have to wonder what browser you are using as this function works absolutely flawlessly for me with Safari and 10.3.5. I don't know about other browsers. I don't use Firefox as it is buggy and crashes. Netscape is sooo slow its painful and IE is comically pathetic and an example of how crappy a MS product can be - crashes so much it is completely unusable e.g. 5 times in three minutes and all I was trying to do was harvest a URL) It was a battle to get the link up and copy it before IE crashed.

Post some details (OS and browser) as I am fairly sure this is not an Appletalk.au issue

Running 10.3.5 and using Safari 1.2.3. Firefox, Netscape, and Mozilla really bug me and let's not even mention MSIE...

I also wonder if this isn't an AppleTalk issue, it seems to have only happened a few times and I can't work out what's causing it. Last quote I did worked absolutely flawlessly. It will be interesting to see what happens with this one; if there's no edit to this post assume that it is working all fine and ignore my complaints! :P

edit: As you can tell by this edit, it stuffed up again. The last one I did that worked was a topic that I didn't get a notification by email for. The ones that have linked out of my Gmail seem to not quote properly. All I have to say is "WTF?"

kim jong il
1st November 2004, 04:38 AM
So then you are about as up to date as you could be. I hate problems that have no apparrent cause. Sorry turbo. I have no ideas at all now.

Hopefully someone else can be encouraged to suggest something.

Ozi
1st November 2004, 09:50 AM
Why don't we all go buy big hats and go to the races?

oh...

you mean "suggest something relevent to turbo's problem?"

ahhh...
:unsure:

My bad. I got nothing. Nada. Zilch.

kim jong il
1st November 2004, 11:14 AM
Ozi, how many times have I told you to stop smoking crack?

p996911turbo
1st November 2004, 03:15 PM
So then you are about as up to date as you could be. I hate problems that have no apparrent cause. Sorry turbo. I have no ideas at all now.

Let's have one more go at quoting this. Same as last time - if I don't edit assume all is well. For reference, this came off the email notification link.

I'd love to know what the cause is but if I never find out I won't mind much, I'll just keep on editting.

Wish me luck!

edit: It happened again so it looks like it's a life of editing posts for me. I'll try another computer, another browser, not linking out of the emails but whatever I end up doing I'll stop complaining about the problem. Now that people know that it's there I'll shut up. :P

Squozen
1st November 2004, 05:27 PM
I'm interested in a Melbourne LAN bash, and I have a spare 24-port 100Mbps managed router here too :)

trotkiller
1st November 2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by scruffie@Oct 31 2004, 08:05 AM
Ditto. How many sydney people do we have in here?
count me in

decryption
1st November 2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Nov 1 2004, 05:27 PM
I'm interested in a Melbourne LAN bash, and I have a spare 24-port 100Mbps managed router here too :)
Check out this thread: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2051
Also, that 24 port 100mbit managed *switch*, (trust me, you don't have a 24 port router :P) would be super handy!