PDA

View Full Version : FW 400 port not working with 4G 40Gb iPod

spargo
24th October 2004, 07:19 PM
Help!

The Firewire 400 port on the right side of my 15" Pb (which has both 400 & 800 FW ports) doesn't seem to want to talk to my 4th gen 40gb iPod! It charges the iPod, but doesn't want to sync the iPod with iTunes, or sync via iSync.. It did both of these normally and completely trouble-free up until yesterday.. This is the same, irrelevant of whether the iPod has Hard Disk use enabled or disabled..

There is nothing wrong with iTunes, or the iPod, as it sync's perfectly when using the USB 2.0 cable and either USB port, with or without the iPod dock/stand.

And when I open the OSX system profiler, it only shows the settings etc for the FW800 port under the Hardware -> FireWire Device Tree ->FireWire Bus: drop-down list (i.e. Speed: 800Mb/sec Speed - i was certain it showed both 400 & 800 before!?).. It's as if the FW400 port has vanished as far as OS X is concerned (also, all of my Software Updates are up-to-date)..

Is there a system diagnostic check i can do to see if everything is ok? I really don't want to lose it for repairs over here (London) as the English aren't exactly the speediest people at getting most things done, and I dont want to test out their Apple repairs response times!!
the only thing that has changed in the last few days was I setup my Sony Ericsson mobile to sync via bluetooth thru iSync, but this didn't affect the FW400 connection at first, as it stopped working afterward this was setup..

I do not have any other FW400 peripherals to test it with, nor do i have another cable to check it with..

Any tips?? - please either post, or look for me on-line via msn messenger if a conversation is easier..

cheers and thanks in advance,

yinyang
24th October 2004, 10:41 PM
there have been many reports of the fw cable being a bit iffy - the data wires coming away from inside the 'sheath' whereas the power wires seem a bit more robust.

try an apple reseller for a replacement, or just ask them if you can use a spare cable to check your pBook and iPod

Currawong
25th October 2004, 08:15 AM
I'd check if some other firewire device connects ok with the Powerbook. If you do lose one port, you'd lose both. They only show FW800 on mine.

kristian
27th October 2004, 12:31 PM
Yup, it only shows firewire 800 on mine as well. Have you tried running the Hardware Test CD?