PDA

View Full Version : need help with wireless networking

aeleks
24th October 2004, 11:33 AM
hello all,

i'm new to this whole wireless networking thing, so just put up with my ignorance for a few minutes.. :)

I have an imac g5 with airport extreme built in and i want to share my 56k dialup (upgrading to broadband in the near future) connection with my old win xp pc.

i was thinking of using the imac as a base station, then get an airport express and hook it up to the pc using an ethernet cable.

would it work this way? or can you guys suggest an alternative?

thanks!

Currawong
24th October 2004, 12:14 PM
Yup, should work. You'd have the iMac sharing its dialup connection with the Airport network, and the AE in bridged mode. I think the easiest way to get that to work would be if every device had a fixed IP address, and the PC was told that the iMac was the gateway.

Edit: Moving this topic as well to the Help forum.

kristian
27th October 2004, 12:34 PM
Or you can just hook the PC to the iMac via a long ethernet cable, forgoing the Airport Express.

macmate
27th October 2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by kristian@Oct 27 2004, 12:34 PM
Or you can just hook the PC to the iMac via a long ethernet cable, forgoing the Airport Express.
what would you know kristian........ actually.... wait a sec.... your rite :)

seriously though this would be the cheapest way.

a not so cheap way would be to get a wireless router with a modem in it, like that airport extreme that has a built in modem, then either get a wireless card for your pc or ethernet it to the pc. this way you can get onto the net on the pc without the mac having to be on the net or on at all for that matter.

MacMate