PDA

View Full Version : Windows Emulator for G5

decryption
10th February 2004, 08:19 PM
I've got a subject at TAFE called "Visual Basic Programming" so that means I need to run Visual Basic on my Mac somehow.
Are there any Windows emulators that run on the G5?

the_argon
11th February 2004, 06:58 AM
Yeah, try Virtual PC 6.0

You'll need a windows disk though.

Other than that I think the only other alternative is wine, disko had a link somewhere I think...

decryption
11th February 2004, 07:00 AM
I thought VPC doesn't work on the G5?
Maybe I should just get it and see? :P

Disko
11th February 2004, 08:50 AM
Don't bother - it doesn't work. I think microsoft are deliberatly delaying it so the G5's have less cred?

Disko
11th February 2004, 09:10 AM
Also: http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040107151459.shtml

Alongside Office 2004 announcements for the Mac, Microsoft also announced that Virtual PC Mac Version 7 will be arriving in the first half of 2004.

Customers can look forward to key enhancements over the current version 6.1, including performance and usability improvements, as well as compatibility with the Macintosh G5.
Earlier rumors had hinted at its announcement.

Byrd
11th February 2004, 10:01 AM
Try your luck on these, especially MacBochs and PCx:

http://emulation.net/windoze/

Both are slow, but you should be right to run a vanilla install of Windows 9x and get the VB software going with a little tweaking.

JB

cmetom
11th February 2004, 11:42 PM
just to understand this correctly.. vpc 6 doesn't actually WORK on G5 systems?

i figured that it just didn't use any G5 optimisations and was therefore slower than desired...
hmm. you learn something new most days!

Disko
11th February 2004, 11:51 PM
Yep, that's what i've heard, Cmetom.

jameso
12th February 2004, 08:16 AM
there was actually a decent technical reason for it not working. I read it on arstech ages ago. something about the connectix guys extensively using part of the g4 architecture that was remove in the g5. Sounded a lot like techno babble tho.

Bochs is the way to go i would think.

you could try realpc... no wait, thats right, "we don't actually have any work done on it. we were lying out our ass"

jameso

the_argon
12th February 2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Feb 11 2004, 07:30 AM
I thought VPC doesn't work on the G5?
... learn something new every day!

I just assumed it would work :P

Anywaw have fun learning VB (I had to do it as part of Cert IV a few years ago.)

~Coxy
13th February 2004, 12:03 AM
Bochs is going to be too freaking slow to run Windows and an IDE; you're just gonna have to wait for VPC, or use the lab machines.

Cory5412
15th February 2004, 04:23 AM
Visual Basic (esp. version 6, IMHO) is a fantastic language for beginners and for just getting something done, especially on a PC.

I have been using VPC5 on my TiBook, but when i upgraded to panther, that borked out on me. It looks like it works on the G3 with panther though, so I may just reinstall VPC one of these days. I should do that today even, and install the NT4 SP6a... (why not anyway...)

Good luck with VisualBasic, and show us some of the things you do with it eventually ;)

decryption
15th February 2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Cory5412@Feb 15 2004, 05:23 AM
Good luck with VisualBasic, and show us some of the things you do with it eventually ;)
Ahh, it's just a semseter long subject to make up one of the competencies set by the government so that all people in a computing course know how to program something :P

mhollis
23rd February 2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Feb 15 2004, 07:21 AM
Ahh, it's just a semseter long subject to make up one of the competencies set by the government so that all people in a computing course know how to program something
I am wondering if you cannot recompile in RealBasic (http://www.realsoftware.com/) and enter one of their contests. They claim a great deal of cross-platform compatibility with VBA. Also, if you showed your instructor that you had compiled for both platforms, he or she might be even more impressed.

decryption
23rd February 2004, 01:21 PM
Sounds interesting mhollis, I'll certianly look into it.

stevejay
24th February 2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 11 2004, 09:50 AM
Don't bother - it doesn't work. I think microsoft are deliberatly delaying it so the G5's have less cred?
I suspect its more because the people responsible for training at MBU got caught on the hop :)

PeterPE
15th March 2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jameso@Feb 12 2004, 09:16 AM
there was actually a decent technical reason for it not working. I read it on arstech ages ago. something about the connectix guys extensively using part of the g4 architecture that was remove in the g5. Sounded a lot like techno babble tho.

Bochs is the way to go i would think.

you could try realpc... no wait, thats right, "we don't actually have any work done on it. we were lying out our ass"

jameso
Mac CPUs preceding the G5 used little-endian math and the G5 uses big endian, or is it the other way around?

Whatever.

VPC for G5 must be recompiled as it is utterly incompatible with the G5 architecture.

One would have to assume that VPC 7 will have a smart installer which detects which CPU is involved and then installs the appropriate ?endian code.

Byrd
15th March 2004, 05:47 PM
Also, Virtual PC 7 will be bundled with the upcoming release of Office 2004.

PeterPE
17th March 2004, 04:03 PM
I have VPC 6 and see no point in upgrading coz I don't have a G5. I dunno why I have VPC at all coz I already have 6 PCs with XP Pro on four of 'em. Ridiculous overkill. And with Microsoft RDC on the Mac I don't need VPC ever. RDC is much much faster that VPC's PC emulation.

Cya