PDA

View Full Version : Hip-e - the ultimate in hideious iMac inspiriation

Currawong
17th October 2004, 10:30 AM
The Hip-e can be found here. (http://www.hip-e.com)

The best bits are, of course, the slashdot comments (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/16/1518249&tid=137) as they contain links to other info.

I can just imagine some poor kid have his parents buy this horror for him instead of an iMac (well, the owner of the company that made it did just that), and the kid being laughed out of school.

thebag
17th October 2004, 12:53 PM
Well,

If that is not the ugliest looking piece of Wintel based crap to grace a web page.

Why do idiots insist on trying to build a better mousetrap. I am definately a one eyed Apple supporter, but honestly even windows users would have to agree it is a god awful piece of equipment.

And not only can you waste your money on that piece of crap, you can get speakers, an iPod ripoff and soon a laptop. Apple should drag their sad sorry arse into court just for even attempting to rip them off. When are these idiots gonna give up and leave the design thing to those who can do it right.

Oh well I've had my rant.

Regards Mark

Quamen
17th October 2004, 01:40 PM
Oh I just have to have one so I can be a squad leader!

/sarcasm

thomas
17th October 2004, 01:44 PM
Why would you want a desktop machine with no mouse?? WTF?!? Do they think people would prefer to use a trackpad on a desktop machine.........

Currawong
17th October 2004, 02:23 PM
Apparently, the screen, speakers, dock and keyboard are all detachable/wireless. I think the person on Slashdot who said "This is what you get when 40 year olds try and design for teenagers" or words to that effect.

Must...resist....temptation....to....join.....thei r.....forums.....and.....troll...

;)

Crambo
17th October 2004, 05:20 PM
" Turn it up! Take your music with you and rock the house, literally. It may look like a speaker attachment for your node, but the beatbox is a banging mobile party starter. Simply plug-in your playme and blast your music anywhere, in full digital stereo surround sound."

Yeah! I can't wait to start a party in the toilet , naked an' all. Mum will surely be in on this...

Drek
17th October 2004, 11:55 PM
Technically it's not a bad system, and once you add Airport and boost the RAM to 512Mb on the iMac G5 17", it's competitive on price*.

But I worry that it has some sort of stupid "cool" interface; none of the photos show the machine running Windows XP, instead showing some Hip-E screen. And the "AWESOME D00D" marketing is cringeworthy.

And it's ugly. (The black and green Xbox look is SO 2001.)

You could pretty easily spec up a Windows machine that doesn't "look cool" but beats the Hip-E on performance and price- or (if you're already a Mac convert) add $100 and get the iMac.

It will be interesting to see how the "Coming Soon" Hip-E "Nodebook" compares with iBook or low-end Windows notebooks.

D

* Hip-E is approx AUD$2350, iMac G5 17" with 1.6Ghz G5, Airport and 512Mb RAM is $2449. I didn't go into much detail on graphics cards etc, suffice to say that even coming from a Windows environment I wouldn't buy a Hip-E. :)