PDA

View Full Version : OWC - Anyone bought from them?

magnarc
17th October 2004, 02:10 AM
Hi

Has anyone bought any mac related hardware from OWC in the US? They sponsor XLR8yourmac etc.
I have enquired with them and there is a long and very probing form to fill out for using an Aussie credit card that asks for copies of my card and drivers licence. A lot of private info to give to someone a long way away.

Any suggestions or success.

I really want a SeriTek SATA card and there is no dealer in Aust at the moment, so Firmek told me.

Thanks

G4 DP 1.25GHz Dual Boot 10.3.5.

Gothikon
17th October 2004, 09:19 AM
I bought from them several times whilst I was in the UK and had no problems. I've only bought from them once whilst in Australia and again had no problems. The forms you are talking about ring a bell but I don't ever recall having to fill them in. I was paying by VISA if that makes any difference.

However I think they are a pretty reputable company I've never had any problems with them and have probably spent a couple of thousand US with them over the last 5 years. I think I only once ever saw a complaint about them on the xlr8yourmac forums and it was resolved pretty quickly. I'll certainly be buying an upgrade for my Cube from them when I'm ready.

Currawong
17th October 2004, 09:21 AM
They have a very good reputation. The USA is much stricter with credit cards than Australia (and we have a large amount of credit card fraud as a result).

thebag
17th October 2004, 09:38 AM
magnarc,

I have bought from OWC four separate times(G3 upgrades, HDD, video card and ram)I would call the experience flawless.

On one occaision I ordered on a Wednesday it was here in Australia the following Monday.

Everything was well packaged and most importantly it all worked.

The thing with the credit card is new to me although looking at another site(Fastmac.com) they seem to have the same deal, giive credit card details then fax copies of drivers licence etc to the US. Seems to be a new way of combatting credit card fraud.

One other thing is at the moment it can also be cheaper to by from the US(fairly good exchange rates)

Regards Mark