PDA

View Full Version : NFS support on OSX.. Any good?

DrCarlo
12th April 2006, 03:46 PM
Hi guys,

Currently putting together a quote for online storage here at work. We are a mac shop, doing video and pre-media. So we have several TB of huge files to move around.

One of the solutions im looking at is the NetAPP devices, which are amazing machines.

However.. they dont support AFP only CIFS and NFS.

Now I know CIFS would be nothing special but what about NFS. A quick google search left me a bit worried.

This was one of the articles I saw which made me go.. hrmm

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...n&ct=clnk&cd=3

So does anyone have any expirence with NFS on osx. Is it any good?

hawker
12th April 2006, 04:00 PM
Something firewire or gigabit... Otherwise you'll regert it for every day you live.

zbaron
12th April 2006, 04:06 PM
I mount a Solaris box via NFS, but I don't use it for anything heavy duty. The issue that I had was that the Solaris server requires connection from a privilaged port, so I had to muck about in Netinfo Manager to get it to mount successfully.

NFS is fine in a trusted environment, where you have complete control over UID's and GID's used on the clients and servers and can squash root access etc. NFSv4 solves a lot of these issues but is not widely supported yet.

If you are an all Apple shop are you considering Xserve + XRAID + Xsan? Although, to really shine this requires a fibre-channel infrastructure, so may end up being prohibitively expensive.

hawker
12th April 2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by zbaron@Apr 12 2006, 03:36 PM
If you are an all Apple shop are you considering Xserve + XRAID + Xsan? Although, to really shine this requires a fibre-channel infrastructure, so may end up being prohibitively expensive.
Dreams. How great it would be though. Super fast :)

decryption
12th April 2006, 04:14 PM
Have you looked into XSan? http://www.apple.com.au/xsan

mac_man_luke
12th April 2006, 05:57 PM
Id seriously consider an Xserve + Xraid (or suitable replacement) connected via Fibre Channel then gigabit from the xserve to each mac, if you have a smart gigabit switch then you can trunk both gigabit ports on the xserve to give you double bandwidth between the xserve and the backbone swtich

DrCarlo
13th April 2006, 03:30 PM
yep looking at the xserve / serve raid / xsan solution too. Its very cost effective and quite nice. Just doesnt have some of the NetApp's features.

I think its where we will go but putting together a few options

purana
13th April 2006, 05:21 PM
Hrmm storage... my work sells some big SAN gear..

Meanwhile, CIFS seems to be the way for the NAS/CAS type setups... as its super common... NFS is not bad, but not good if you want to leverage the storage to other future environments.. who knows you company might not always be Unix based (ie. OSX).

Pick what best suites your needs.. as to NFSv4, thats still a while off to be supported by all manufacturers and products..

nath
13th April 2006, 11:13 PM
I have been using NetApp equipment with Linux for a number of years now and have completed the certification training. The hardware is awesome, does everything they say its does, Snapshots are a life saver and (assuming they are still doing it) they give you and ISCSI license for free.

If tweaked right and with GigE interconnects NFS performance can be exceptional.