PDA

View Full Version : Apple Networking Woes

titan44
11th April 2006, 08:28 AM
I use my iBook both at work and at home, but a few months ago i developed a problem, at home i use an wireless connection and at work i hook in via utp, networking at home is no problem, but when i get to work i am unable to connect to a windows server share unless i reboot my iBook, then i can connect no dramas, i can see the domain, and all the computers on it as well as surf through the router, but when i try to connect without rebooting i get "The alias "The_Server_Name" could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.

Any tips?

hawker
11th April 2006, 08:31 AM
Have you thought about setting up to network types under 'locations' in the apple menu (which can be set up in your networks prefs). My dad works at a school, and has to connect via a proxy, and do some random settings to get the net to work, so I set him up with two locations,

'home' - 'work'

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like your networks are conflicting with things ;) Might be a solution so you do not have to reboot.

titan44
11th April 2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah, that's how i've had it set up since the beginning.

hawker
11th April 2006, 08:38 AM
Hmmm - that's a pity. I thought that would have fixed it. Past checking that all the settings are correct I think it's just one of those windows things.

I've had a lot of problems with Windows sharing on some updates. For instance, after 10.4.3, windows machines could not connect to me, until I connected to them first etc.

mechcon
11th April 2006, 09:22 AM
my major query is that I have a wireless setup too, and that there's another bloody wireless network in the area, and is conflicting with mine (getting less signal on mine due to that)

hawker
11th April 2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by mechcon@Apr 11 2006, 08:52 AM
my major query is that I have a wireless setup too, and that there's another bloody wireless network in the area, and is conflicting with mine (getting less signal on mine due to that)
You might be on the same channel - maybe change your channel ?