PDA

View Full Version : Ejecting a USB Flash/Thumb drive

vid
10th April 2006, 10:37 PM
I have "pulled out" my USB flash drive/thumb drive (call it what you will) several times WITHOUT using the eject command and received the attached image, but it has never caused a problem YET, has anyone had a mishap by doing this or know what does happen?

g3monster
10th April 2006, 10:40 PM
Ive never had a problem with it...I think it is more of a warning that if you pull it out while it is writeing something you may lose some data...Also if it is HFS+ then if you pull it out without unmounting and finalizeing the disk it could cause data corruption!!!

luotuohua
10th April 2006, 10:59 PM
When I do pull my pendrive out accidentally the message shows but nothing has happened to my pen drive. My camera wasn't that lucky though. :( The memory chips (Olympus) became corrupted after 3 or 4 times. I'm now forced to reformat them on a regular basis which sucks because I lose a lot of photos.

But for my camera, I noticed that while I may have ejected it already (ie the disk image no longer shows on my desktop), my iBook still detects it for some reason and hence the warning message when I unplug.

Byrd
11th April 2006, 09:05 AM
The reason you have to 'eject' external drives is that the device may still have open files or temporary files stored on the drive - if you yank it out, you can easily corrupt data.

It's an annoying thing to do, but if you want to save your data ...

JB

purana
11th April 2006, 09:56 AM
Eject allows the software to flush any cached io to the device, so that the OS knows that no data is about to be written or read..

timace
11th April 2006, 12:01 PM
On Windows, it's called Write Behind Caching, iirc.
Sometimes files aren't immediately copied over and/or finalised.
I've corrupted my Sandisk camera cards half a dozen times because I didn't eject first.
If it refuses to eject, you'll need to shut down and disconnect it whilst it's off...
Had WBC issues with my USB 'flash disk' and Win2k at TAFE. It'd refuse to eject, so if you manually ejected, you'd lose the work you just did.

detail
11th April 2006, 01:05 PM
Just a note about retreiving data from a corrupt usb or flash drive.

It is possible to do using programs such as photo rescue which accesses the data that is retained on the drive even if the directories are corrupted,

I generally use it to retrieve photos that I've wrongly deleted.

But if you are having to reformat the disk drive so often you aren't ejecting properly.

melbmac
11th April 2006, 01:40 PM
yeah...

I work in camera stores and many people loose photos by unplugging cameras whilst they are still reading or writing.

Sad thing is some cameras when they detect corrupt data will automatically ask you to format your card, a lot of people click yes, shoot til the card is full then expect us to be able to retrieve the old images anyway.

Aa
11th April 2006, 01:59 PM
I've encountered many problems with my own and friends USB drives when you don't eject.

The main problem is windows not recognising the drive after you just yank it from an mac. this can only be rectified by a reformat with disk utility it seems.

It doesen't get to properly close the trash files i've read somewhere. that seems to cause the problem.

Purana and timace are both on the money though.

iMick
11th April 2006, 02:17 PM
I've noticed that removible flash drives seem to have their own trash independant of the system one. I deleted all the info off of mine and then plugged it into an XP box and it only had 2Mb left of a 256Mb file. After a lot of farting around I realised that when I plugged the drive into the mac the trash can was full, so emptying the trash while it was plugged is what I needed to do to free the space up.

purana
11th April 2006, 03:28 PM
By all means dont eject it, but dont start a thread asking for help on recovering a file. If you continue to remove without an eject (your an accident waiting to happen).

Bart Smastard
11th April 2006, 03:45 PM
My thumbdrive died in the arse last week. I always eject, except I think I shutdown once when it was connected, could that be the cause?

I can't even get it to reformat :angry:. I don't need the data, just annoyed that it only lasted a month and I might have to buy a new one if Hardly Normal won't replace it.

hawker
11th April 2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Bart Smastard@Apr 11 2006, 03:15 PM
My thumbdrive died in the arse last week. I always eject, except I think I shutdown once when it was connected, could that be the cause?

I can't even get it to reformat :angry:. I don't need the data, just annoyed that it only lasted a month and I might have to buy a new one if Hardly Normal won't replace it.
Some flash media is just made cheap and nasty. If anyone continues to pull it out instead of eject it, files will get corrupt and you'll be sorry :)