PDA

View Full Version : weird cache problem

konni
10th April 2006, 10:32 PM
I did a housecall today to take a brief for a website redesign and ended up trying to fix the client's computer problem. It got messy, confusing and in the end nothing was resolved.

First she couldn't connect to the internet, the URL for her website displayed Bigpond's Captive Portal page. Email wasn't coming through either. We rang Bigpond and after much ado, reset the modem etc. Although we could punch up another website everytime we went back to the original URL (her website) we kept getting the Captive Portal page. Cleared cache. closed windows cleared Cache and History, Quit, logged-out, shut down - in all manner of combinations. Even downloaded Firefox, she was using Safari, and got the same problem. Ran 'repair permissions' - still no good.

We rang Telstra back, and they suggested shutting down the computer and the modem for 15 mins. I don't know what the result of that was because I had to go.

So, if that doesn't work - what else can we try? And if it does work - can someone explain why?

g3monster
10th April 2006, 10:42 PM
Try an archive install of osx (keep all current files and settings)...But first clear the PRAM and NVRAM and also trash the prefs.

I am not at blame for any problems this information may bring up!!!

jbillett
10th April 2006, 10:45 PM
perhaps a factory reset of the modem? occasionally they get all confused...

konni
10th April 2006, 11:22 PM
haha - that's funny g3monster - yeah I'm gonna hold you responsible.

If things are still ill tomorrow I was thinking that will be the next step, back up the data, format the HD and reinstall. When I looked at the way the files were organised I was a bit worried about how things would be functioning.

I was of the impression that it wasn't necessry to zap the PRAM with osx? Is it still done the same way - opt+command+p+r ? and how do you do the NVRAM?

jbillett - why would this only be happening to the one URL?

sunrisesister
10th April 2006, 11:55 PM
get bigpoo to check the status of her account.. if its suspended, she wont be able to surf away from that page.

otherwise, just get a hammer :P