PDA

View Full Version : Software update for Multiple Macs

FiL
10th April 2006, 08:39 PM
Hi,

I have two Macs at home. I am connected to the internet via telephone modem. The last download for software update took me 10 hours.

So, If I were to get software update for ONE machine, how can I use the downloaded software to update both Macs. I choose to use the Automatic software update because the files turn out to be of lesser size compared to the alternate of getting a disk image and then updating from there to more than one Mac.

Can I copy the updated Mac OS X System folder (or any other) across to the other Mac and get it to boot from that?

Thanks for your help.

FiL

mvjs
10th April 2006, 08:48 PM
The best way [not the cheapest thou] would be to setup an OS X server, which mirrors the updates then the updates download to your machine over the network.

Alternativly, you could use netboot to make both of your machines boot from the same diskimage on an os x server.

All in all, the easiest is to get the update from Apple's site.

hawker
10th April 2006, 08:51 PM
In software update you can go "download" only in the file menu I think. Then it will download the file and you can share it out to each machine. It's how I do it!

Edit: it'll download the package then you'll have to go and run the updates via installer.

tommelbourne
10th April 2006, 08:52 PM
If you only want to use Software Update (as you seemed to imply in your post), then when choosing to download an update go Update : Install and Keep Update. This will download the installer, automatically install the update (just like a normal Software Update) and will keep the installer so that you can use it on other machines.

EDIT:mikevjsmyth, come on, setting up a server just to dish out a few updates? You have got to be joking! Maybe if you had a network of 20 machines, but the poster only needs to use the updates on 2 Macs!

mvjs
10th April 2006, 09:15 PM
it's just an idea :)

tommelbourne
10th April 2006, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Apr 10 2006, 10:15 PM
it's just an idea :)
I know, and a far more imaginative one than mine, im just mucking around :)

Squozen
10th April 2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Apr 10 2006, 09:17 PM
I know, and a far more imaginative one than mine, im just mucking around :)
Heh, my solution is kinda similar in that my proxy server has a massive maximum cache size, large enough for even big updates to be stored in the cache for the other machines to download quickly.

The main reason I do this is so podcasts and video trailers download nice and fast if one of the machines on my LAN has already got them.

applecollector
10th April 2006, 09:44 PM
I have many machines so i just download the main updates via safari then install them on my macs transfer it via my external HDD or USB Pendrive or via firewire!

tommelbourne
10th April 2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by applecollector@Apr 10 2006, 10:44 PM
I have many machines so i just download the main updates via safari then install them on my macs transfer it via my external HDD or USB Pendrive or via firewire!
But he doesn't want to do that, for one reason or another, he only wants to use Software Update.

FiL
10th April 2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by FiL@Apr 10 2006, 08:39 PM
Can I copy the updated Mac OS X System folder (or any other) across to the other Mac and get it to boot from that?

Thanks for your help so far...

I wish the "Install and Keep Update" and the other options were provided as buttons in the update window instead of being hidden up in the menu.

Now that I have been enlightened for the next time, do you think that the copying system folder trick will work for now? If not, then why not? If I remember correctly, it was possible to do that with OS9. The system folder only needed to be "blessed".

FiL

timdotexe
10th April 2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Apr 10 2006, 08:48 PM
The best way [not the cheapest thou] would be to setup an OS X server, which mirrors the updates then the updates download to your machine over the network.
Surely not worth spending $699 just for the software update features of Tiger Server. Yes that is a fun solution but very much overkill as others have said! (well fun for geeks like us!).

As has been already mentioned i recommend 'download and keep packages' option. Then access them over the network from the second machine for installation. Some packages will need to be physically located on the machine in order to install i have found so copy them over before installing.

Or if you are a supergeek with cash to spare you can install packages to the second mac directly from the mac you downloaded them on using ARD, fun! :D