PDA

View Full Version : How do I set up port mapping?

thorntonp
10th April 2006, 07:22 PM
I have a new Axis wireless network camera, which works great from my side of the router, but I can't access it from the web side.

It has it's own web server, and dynamic DNS service and uses port 80. It says I can map an unused port specifically for it, but I have no idea how

I know it must be a firewall/router issue, and Axis' instructions don't cover how to set it up very well.

I have an Airport Extreme, and also Intego Net Barrier Firewall

It's pretty complex, but thought someone may have set up a similar device that's needs it's own port open so outside traffic can get through the base station..

I have disabled macosx firewall, and the Net Barrier, to no avail

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can give more info as needed

BiRDBRAiN
10th April 2006, 08:39 PM
There should be somewhere in the router's setup to do port forwarding, or its called 'virtual servers' on some routers.

From there you need to set the outside port and then the inside IP and port number to forward to.

purana
10th April 2006, 09:01 PM
Those Axis cameras cost a bomb :)

Currawong
10th April 2006, 09:15 PM
You need to map a port in the Airport BS - you need the IP address of the camera in your internal network and what port it uses. Say this is 192.168.1.5, and port 80, then you'd forward port 80 in your ABS to 192.168.1.5 port 80.

thorntonp
11th April 2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the ideas...I've tried them but still can't get this thing to be accessed from the other side of my router.

I'm not a total idiot, but this thing has me beat...

And yes, they do cost a bomb! I bought it because it was the only one that had native mac support, which is true - it works in mac, except for the complex set up which they are very poor on helping with

Oh, well, maybe someday someone will get one running....i'm about to throw mine out the window

Jazarus
11th April 2006, 06:08 PM
I recently set up port forwarding on my router, and I did it step by step with an tech support dude from my isp, so I'd would try with your ISP, they need to give you a number to set up static ip and all that.

purana
11th April 2006, 06:18 PM
I've been tempted to purchase one of these PCI 4 port bnc cards.. hook up 4 security cams and use some linux software to manage it.. umm whats it called... it will come to me, but it allows you to have it email you when it detects changes in the picture and heaps of cool stuff..

Maybe one day I might get around to it.

But those axis cams rock ;)