PDA

View Full Version : Was this formattet? Not sure?

starstreams
8th February 2004, 01:50 PM
I have a G3 Desktop my friend gave me with OS8.1 installed. So I picked up a CD of OS9.2.2 off of Ebay, the CD is a full copy of the OS and it says Ibook on the disk.
Anyway, I choose the clean install option when I booted off the disk and its seems that everything got wiped because I found a folder on this hard drive labeled as (Old System Folder) Also, it also says OS9.2.2 in this ďAbout This ComputerĒ menu.
By the way I did press the C key at boot time. It seems everything is new!

However, how come I found two pictures of my friendís old sky trip on the new system yet everything else seems to be gone? Also: MS word 5.1 is still installed but is this something that comes with OS9?
Shouldnít that have gotten wiped also if this really was a clean install?

How do you format these macís to wipe everything? Iím only use to dealing with PCís

Thanks

jameso
8th February 2004, 04:36 PM
A clean install does not erase the hard drive, it just moves the old system folder out of the way and installs a fresh one. What you need to do is boot from the cd, select the hard drive on the desktop and in the special menu select erase disk.

That will format your hard drive. After that just re-install OS 9.2

jameso

[edit] forgot to sign my msg

Disko
10th February 2004, 11:47 AM
What are the specs of your G3? (to find that out, click your apple menu, and then 'about this mac')

starstreams
10th February 2004, 05:52 PM
Sorry, didnít know you guys replied, never got an email.

Anyway, Thanks for the help
@ disko, Itís a G3 with a 266 mHz cpu and 32mbís of ram which sucks. I have a few 128 sticks of PC 100 from a PC, would that work in a mac? I read something about the memory in G3ís being different then in PCís

And By the way, if you were to compare a 266mHz Mac cpu to an Intel/PC cpu, doses it come out to the same in power or would it be safe to say that the 266 Mac cpu doses more crunching clock for clock as far as graphics goes?

Disko
11th February 2004, 12:30 AM
Well, acording to everymac (i looked up your computer, is it either this one (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_266_dt.html) or this one? (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_266_mt.html)), it takes "10ns 168-pin SDRAM" - whatever that means.

starstreams
11th February 2004, 06:27 AM
Nice find Disko! Its the one at the first link I have.
I'm going to try to put my ram chip in. SD just means "Single Data"
That means the ram can only pass data on the rising clock edge or either the falling I forgot which one.

After SD ram came out there was DDR, which is double data. DDR can past instruction on both the rising as well as the falling edge of one clock cycle. So more data can be passed through the ram sticks

NS, nano secnds is the speed of the chips.
I think mine with work!

the_argon
11th February 2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 11 2004, 01:00 AM
"10ns 168-pin SDRAM" - whatever that means.
10ns 168-pin is PC100 SDRAM :)

starstreams
11th February 2004, 07:24 AM
Well I had a stick of PC 100 64mbís and put it in with the 32 and it seems to be working great! Now it reads 96, no problems.

By the way, when you erase the hard drive, Iím getting two options: Erase
1. Standard
2. and Extended?

Doses this have anything to do with the partition? I chose Extended and I it said it was creating directory but it seem must too fast to be a full format on a 4 G drive

Currawong
11th February 2004, 08:23 AM
You want to select Extended (HFS+), as it's much more efficient than the original HFS Standard. The only reason it would take a long time to format is if you selected to zero the hard drive or do a low-level format.

jameso
12th February 2004, 07:47 AM
the ram problems was only with osx version < 10.1

what you want to do is pick up a 4 meg video ram chip for it. good luck tho

jameso

starstreams
22nd February 2004, 01:52 PM
I did choose extended as a lucky guess Currawong, anyway thanks for that info every bit helps&#33;

Jameso, whatís that 4 meg video ram chip all about? To be honest this system is like 4 years or even older. Itís not worth any more upgrading Iím just using it to familiarize myself with macs. I actually wouldnít mind getting a new mac even though Iím a PC guy, they are really slick machines. Anyway about that 4 meg video ram chip, there is another strange ram slot with one chip in it all by itself, Iím guessing this is kind of like a COST slot like in the old PC days?

By the way, Thanks guys this is all very helpful info&#33; Iíve spent so long studying PCís and getting certified in PC repair, but Iíve never touched a mac till now.

mhollis
22nd February 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by starstreams@Feb 22 2004, 01:52 PM
whatís that 4 meg video ram chip all about?

there is another strange ram slot with one chip in it all by itself, Iím guessing this is kind of like a COST slot like in the old PC days?
Essentially, what is being recommended here is that you upgrade the video subsystem. I should mention that this has a much more dramatic effect on a pee cee than it has on a Mac, but OS X does tax older video systems.

The strange RAM slot with one chip in it all by itself is probably a static RAM cache for your microprocessor. My older Power PC 604 had one of those and it surely needed it.

jameso
22nd February 2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by mhollis@Feb 22 2004, 02:44 PM
Essentially, what is being recommended here is that you upgrade the video subsystem. I should mention that this has a much more dramatic effect on a pee cee than it has on a Mac, but OS X does tax older video systems.

The strange RAM slot with one chip in it all by itself is probably a static RAM cache for your microprocessor. My older Power PC 604 had one of those and it surely needed it.
No, that one strange ram chip is what i am talking about. It is "either a 2 MB or a 4 MB SO-DIMM (small outline dual inline memory module)". That quote is from the GURU (GUide to Ram Upgrades) which is an os9 program with macintosh hardware information.

The machine usually ships with 2 megs but can take up too 6 meg using that slot.

jameso