PDA

View Full Version : Logging into Console

zeddie2001
8th April 2006, 07:37 PM
With my old PowerMac running 10.3.9, I used to be able to get into the console by putting ">console" as my username at the login window. Now, on my iBook with Tiger, I get "/dev/console: Operation not supported by device".

Is this a Tiger thing? Besides booting in single user mode, is there another way to get to the console?

I googled, and all I could find was this hinthere, (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020318020806482&query=Enter+console+mode+from+login+screen) where two people are having the same problem as me.

Thanks for all your help.

edit: spelling

teej
4th August 2006, 01:10 PM
Just tried it on a machine running 10.3. and I have to say that's a hell neat trick. Unfortunately it doesn't work on any 10.4 machines I've tried, although I don't get the message about '/dev/console: Operation not supported by device', instead the screen just goes blue and then drops me back to the login window. Can you let me know where you saw the message? Was it in any of the logs? I've compared /etc/ttys and /dev/console and they appear identical in 10.4 vs 10.3

As an alternative, if you are after a full screen console, you could try the ratpoison window manager with x11.

W2ttsy
4th August 2006, 01:38 PM
try holding down v at start up. it should launch verbose mode, which is the bootloader without the GUI on it. then it pops you into a console where you can either login and doi CLI stuff, or type exit to leave.

worked in 10.3, dont know about 10.4 though.

W2ttsy

drewbles
4th August 2006, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(W2ttsy &#064; Aug 4 2006, 01&#58;38 PM) 201361</div>

try holding down v at start up. it should launch verbose mode, which is the bootloader without the GUI on it. then it pops you into a console where you can either login and doi CLI stuff, or type exit to leave.

worked in 10.3, dont know about 10.4 though.

W2ttsy
[/b]

not in 10.4 it&#39;s command-v and it&#39;s simply for verbose mode (showing what&#39;s behind the spinning wheel on boot).

Then drops you to the login screen or desktop depending how you are setup.

Danamania
4th August 2006, 01:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zeddie2001 &#064; Apr 8 2006, 07&#58;37 PM) 160775</div>

With my old PowerMac running 10.3.9, I used to be able to get into the console by putting ">console" as my username at the login window. Now, on my iBook with Tiger, I get "/dev/console: Operation not supported by device".

Is this a Tiger thing? Besides booting in single user mode, is there another way to get to the console?

[/b]

This seems to be one of those sometimes-broken things that Apple never fixed. For some people, it didn&#39;t work in 10.3, and it seems for even more it&#39;s broken in 10.4 - although both of my OSX machines have been spared the problem, and will go into >console just fine under both OSs.

I know that doesn&#39;t help, apart from telling you it potentially should work in 10.4, which may mean more searching around for a fix will bring you one :)

dana