PDA

View Full Version : iAlertU

jbillett
8th April 2006, 05:47 PM
Saw this (http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/04/07/2315242.shtml) article on slashdot, thought it was one of the more clever ideas I have seen in quite a while.

Also: website (http://ialertu.com/) and demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkAtRfA1UXc)

ethania05
8th April 2006, 05:55 PM
Its an ok but pointless feature.

Muzza_77
8th April 2006, 06:18 PM
What is so pointless about it? I think that it is a pretty good idea, all I need now is a MacBook Pro :P

disgust
8th April 2006, 06:58 PM
point 1. After they break into my house and set the house alarm off do you think anyone is going to be worried about a laptop with an alert.
point 2. Anyone who leaves a powerbook / laptop lying around deserves to have it knocked off.

ruegen
8th April 2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Muzza_77@Apr 8 2006, 06:18 PM
What is so pointless about it? I think that it is a pretty good idea, all I need now is a MacBook Pro :P
So do I!

tintinaujapon
8th April 2006, 07:05 PM
Actually practical or not, it's quite amusing. No need to give the poster a hard time.

Goodbye
8th April 2006, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me... you're in the library, leave your MBP for 10 seconds to go and get another book, you just turn this on...

tommelbourne
8th April 2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by disgust@Apr 8 2006, 07:58 PM
point 1. After they break into my house and set the house alarm off do you think anyone is going to be worried about a laptop with an alert.
point 2. Anyone who leaves a powerbook / laptop lying around deserves to have it knocked off.
Most people who buy Laptops buy them with the intent of using them away from home.

I think this is a seriously cool. Finally, a practical use for those remotes they are packing with new Macs! I can just imagine somebody's MacBook Pro screeching in the quiet, tranquil Uni Library.

Mac_Switcher
8th April 2006, 07:45 PM
That's a great idea, it should be for all sudden motion sensor equipped laptops, like my ibook (a keyboard short would turn the alarm on).

Pity it doesn't password protect the screen

jbillett
8th April 2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Mac_Switcher@Apr 8 2006, 07:45 PM
That's a great idea, it should be for all sudden motion sensor equipped laptops, like my ibook (a keyboard short would turn the alarm on).

Pity it doesn't password protect the screen
there is talk on the website of having a screen lock and pin code. also, if there is demand the developer has already said a PPC version is possible for all laptops with the sudden motion sensors fitted.

Rayd
8th April 2006, 09:47 PM
i rekon the 'use isight to take a pic and send via email' if the alarm goes off is a great idea :D

xfodder
9th April 2006, 12:55 AM
does the alarm go off if the lid is closed ?

Rayd
9th April 2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by xfodder@Apr 9 2006, 01:55 AM
does the alarm go off if the lid is closed ?
you better belive it

forgie
9th April 2006, 01:14 AM
That's cool. Anyone giving this guy shit needs to question why they're bothering....

Who cares if it's not practical? Don't use it!

It's a very cool idea in my books! :)

Mac_Switcher
9th April 2006, 01:20 AM
But how could the alarm go off id the lid was shut? Wouldn't the MacBook Pro be asleep, overriding the alarm feature?

Does anyone know what software licence it will be released under? I hope it's GPL! :D

I "demand" a PPC version for all SMS equipped laptops (please!)

tommelbourne
9th April 2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Mac_Switcher@Apr 9 2006, 02:20 AM
But how could the alarm go off id the lid was shut? Wouldn't the MacBook Pro be asleep, overriding the alarm feature?

Does anyone know what software licence it will be released under? I hope it's GPL! :D

Little point voicing your 'demands' here, go to the developer's website and leave a post on the messageboard.

Jaffa
9th April 2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Mac_Switcher@Apr 9 2006, 02:20 AM
MEE TOO!

youngma
9th April 2006, 08:31 AM
Come on folks, its got to be a joke, its so pointless

kim jong il
9th April 2006, 10:45 AM
I love the idea. The scenario pointed out about leaving said computer alone in a library and it gets interfered with in some unauthorised way starting to scream "RAPE, RAPE". I don't know I just like the idea...

mechcon
10th April 2006, 04:17 PM
also for salling clicker users, should be a script made so that you can use your bluetooth phone to activate/deactivate the alarm

adamd
6th March 2008, 08:59 PM
I have used iAlertU since I got my MacBook last year. I was slightly pissed off when my Apple Remote died, as I was unable to use the app.

Today I picked up my new remote, and it's great. My sisters are no longer trying to use my mac :)

zmit
6th March 2008, 11:15 PM
ok... thats great... i gave up on iAlertu

for the record. take note of when the last post was made