PDA

View Full Version : afp on Windows

stefanlod
7th April 2006, 07:27 PM
I hate the fact that using SMB on OS X is so messy when accessing a Mac from Windows. Of course, if I browse my Mac from Windows, I must put in my password and then my whole home directory is accessed. I just want to be able to browse my home directory without a password like when I access it from another Mac.

Is there a good afp client for Windows so then I can browse a Mac from a Windows machine with the ease and joy as on OS X?

Currawong
7th April 2006, 08:16 PM
AFP uses passwords as well. Maybe if you save the SMB password in Windows you wont have to enter it every time?

stefanlod
7th April 2006, 08:30 PM
I'm referring to the fact that you can browse as a guest (ie no password) and go to the corresponding user's public folder. You can't do that from windows from what I know.

Currawong
7th April 2006, 09:21 PM
Option 1: Buy PCMacLan to allow you to browse AFP networks from Windows.

Option 2: Download SharePoints, which allows you to customise AFP and SMB properties. You can create shares and control things such as guest access, though default guest access allows access to EVERYTHING on the computer. Creating a share and controlling the access that way is much better.