PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for virtualization...

visional_studios
6th April 2006, 10:04 PM
Bootcamp is cool and useful, but my computer work is 50/50 OSX and XP. Dual booting would be really annoying for me, but I know its a great thing for the occasional gamer/windows app.

When virtualization is available, it will make my life so much more easier, I can't wait. Just to make sure I wont be dissapointed, virtualization is the ability to run XP (or linux) and all their apps within OSX at near native speeds right? If so, screw this boot camp business...

This link off the homepage news looks promising:

OSX virtualization (http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=5712&pagtype=all)

Cheers.

Grant

vargz
6th April 2006, 10:26 PM
I know what you mean and I think Boot Camp is purely the stepping stone towards proper virtualisation. For now, Boot Camp is a big leap and an exciting one at that. But in terms of a practical and efficient workflow, virtualisation is the bomb.

luke_in_tas
6th April 2006, 10:39 PM
It has arrived: http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/

Hopefully this is just the start and we'll also see other virtual machine options from Microsoft and VMWare.

Plus there are the previously available emulation solutions in Q (http://www.kberg.ch/q/) and OpenOSX WinTel (http://openosx.com/wintel/).

iSlayer
6th April 2006, 10:52 PM
not sure its going to be that great

Parallels Workstation virtualizes a full set of the standard PC hardware including:
CPU Intel Pentium II;
Generic motherboard compatible with Intel i815 chipset;
RAM up to 1500 MB;
VGA and SVGA with VESA 3.0 support;
1.44 MB floppy drive (mapped to a physical drive or to an image file);
Up to four IDE devices, that may be either virtual hard drives (from 20 MB up to 128 GB
each, mapped to image file), or CD/DVD-ROM drives (mapped to physical drive or to
image file), or both hard drives and CD/DVD-ROM drives;
Ethernet virtual network card compatible with RTL8029. Parallels Workstation for
Windows and for Mac supports bridging to wireless network adapters;
Up to four serial (COM) ports (mapped to real port, to pipe or to output file);
Up to three bi-directional parallel (LPT) ports (mapped to real port, to printer or to output
file);
104-key Windows enhanced keyboard;
PS/2 wheel mouse.

nard
6th April 2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by iSlayer@Apr 6 2006, 10:52 PM
not sure its going to be that great

I'd say that the Pentium II reference is an indication of instruction set compatibility and not a measurement of performance.

Their FAQ says they are working on Direct3D support.

luke_in_tas
6th April 2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by nard@Apr 7 2006, 12:23 AM
I'd say that the Pentium II reference is an indication of instruction set compatibility and not a measurement of performance.
That's what I thought too.

Anyone with an Intel Mac want to download the beta and give us an indication of performance?

ialienam
6th April 2006, 11:50 PM
Yah..I would love that too..

Boot camp is still a major upgrade, but running win under OSX will be even better..
And I think that's what Apple wants too.. Enable Win-users to experience the power of Mac OSX, instead of booting into XP everytime they start the computer..

VPC (or whatsoever they are going to call it) will enable me to transfer the file between the two OS much much easier!!

But I guess they will never run as good as natively..Reports have been shown XP runs good on Mac, just as fast as any other PC on the market

yinyang
7th April 2006, 01:14 AM
in the space of a very short time Mac users have been spoilt with getting windows on their machines LOL!!

who would have thought!! :D

from the parallels site...

"Driven by full support for dual-core processors and Intel Virtualization Technology (included in almost every new Intel-powered Mac), virtual machines created using Parallels Workstation 2.1 Beta offer near-native performance and rock-solid stability."

seems like a 'cleaner' option than dual boot - so you wonder if MS will just trash VPC and buy out parallels...!? ;)

btw just saw this vid of the speed of XP using parallels...

http://www.prodedgy.com/article/51

vargz
7th April 2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by yinyang@Apr 7 2006, 12:44 AM
in the space of a very short time Mac users have been spoilt with getting windows on their machines LOL!!

who would have thought!! :D
And in that same short amount of time Mac users have become suprisingly very excited about installing the much bagged/rubbished Windows on their machines...

Now who would ever have thought that!! :D

BiRDBRAiN
7th April 2006, 09:41 AM
I would be excited by anything that beats using VPC :thumbup:

Maybe its time to get an Intel mac

sikosis
7th April 2006, 10:51 AM
that Parallels video seems pretty quick ... at least his net access is fast ;)

I'll have to see if it can run BeOS and do a video of the GL Teapot :P

visional_studios
7th April 2006, 11:28 AM
I'm a designer/web/animator/video guy, I know I would need a stack of RAM (as you do anyway), is it going to be possible to run high end graphics intensive windows applications under virtualisation through OSX?. Please say yes...

purana
7th April 2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by luke_in_tas@Apr 6 2006, 10:39 PM
Hopefully this is just the start and we'll also see other virtual machine options from Microsoft and VMWare.
I'd be happy if my company who owns VMware introduces an VMware Server management console for OSX systems. That way I can run it native on OSX and connect to my VMware server backend to use my virtual machines.

iSlayer
7th April 2006, 11:31 AM
im currently installing xp in Parallels.
installation has been very fast,much faster then qemu,wintel etc

luke_in_tas
7th April 2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by visional_studios@Apr 7 2006, 12:28 PM
I'm a designer/web/animator/video guy, I know I would need a stack of RAM (as you do anyway), is it going to be possible to run high end graphics intensive windows applications under virtualisation through OSX?. Please say yes...
At the moment: No.

All the emulation/virtualisation programs available on OS X, Windows and Linux (that I know of) only support 2D graphics—at least currently. Still, this is a good step for productivity applications. If you want to make use of high-end graphics you'll have to use the Boot Camp (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) solution for the time being.

That said, the Parallels site does suggest high-end graphics support may be coming:
Parallels Workstation virtualizes VGA and SVGA with VESA 3.0 support video card. This allows you to run any 2D graphic application inside guest OS. Direct3D support is in scope for future versions of Parallels Workstation.

iSlayer
7th April 2006, 11:42 AM
Parallels speed is very good
XP reports the cpus exactly as they are so there is no emulation there.
However there is no vga driver so no gaming.i guess they are still working on that

luke_in_tas
7th April 2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by iSlayer@Apr 7 2006, 12:42 PM
Parallels speed is very good
XP reports the cpus exactly as they are so there is no emulation there.
However there is no vga driver so no gaming.i guess they are still working on that
What sort of screen reolutions does it offer for the virtual machine? It's not limited to something aweful like 800x600 is it?

chuck
7th April 2006, 12:48 PM
I know its obvious, but Windows Virtualization on a Mac is a good way to run windows ;

1. Near realtime speed.

2. Runs as application on your stable host Mac plattform...

3. If infected by whatever nastiness, you can go back to an image easy enough.

So a good way to run Windows really, even if you arent a Mac user.

nard
7th April 2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by luke_in_tas@Apr 7 2006, 12:21 PM
What sort of screen reolutions does it offer for the virtual machine? It's not limited to something aweful like 800x600 is it?
It depends on the guest OS. They have an included product called Parallels Tools that improves the drivers for some operating systems.

Currently they have Parallels Tools for Windows, OS/2 and Solaris.

On Windows SVGA modes are enabled by Parallels Tools.

iSlayer
7th April 2006, 04:15 PM
highest res is 1600x1200
doesnt have a native res for imacs and mbp's

melbmac
7th April 2006, 06:54 PM
I plan to give this a crack as well, I just want my damn windows CD already!

kudos
7th April 2006, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by melbmac@Apr 7 2006, 06:54 PM
I plan to give this a crack as well, I just want my damn windows CD already!

I've been trying to get Parallels software to run on my 20" iMac for a while
now. It's very buggy (it is a beta I suppose) and it keeps crashing my iMac.

Other things keep happening like the CD drive will become unavailable
to the app so the install can't continue.

I've just .iso imaged my XP disk so hopefully this evening I can use that
instead to install from, maybe it will run more smoothly.

I also tried installing Win98 but got a total crash again.

Does anyone know how to make an .iso file from a disc on our Macs?
I had to use a windows app 'MagicISO'.

On a positive note while the XP install was actually working it
was going very fast, which bodes well for when it's all working properly.

Kudos

morn
7th April 2006, 10:57 PM
It's not a real alternative for dual booting. Unless you don't like to have fun. ;) IE gaming. But might avoid booting for several tasks.

Husq
16th May 2006, 03:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iSlayer &#064; Apr 7 2006, 04&#58;15 PM) 160463</div>

highest res is 1600x1200
doesnt have a native res for imacs and mbp&#39;s
[/b]

Does it do full screen?