PDA

View Full Version : iMAP -vs- Exchange

symean
6th April 2006, 08:03 AM
So we've made the move to an Exchange Server from an Xserve. Pity, but I've been promised the Xserve as a dedicated web/file server to replace our aging *NIX P.O.S web server, so no biggie.

I stilll have my shiny new 20" Intel iMac and my eMac on the desk as I've been too busy to switch to the iMac yet. About a week ago I had to make my old Mail account inactive and set upa new one. I assumed I should choose th etype as 'Exchange' as that's what our server is, but another Mac user set his account up to work OK with the Exchange server using 'IMAP'.

The only annoying thing I've seen in the last week using my 'Exchange' account is that if I pause while writing an email, it pops up with the message 'This message could not be saved'. Very annoying, it happens often. I couldn't be bothered to trouble shoot it now as I won't be using the eMac in another week.

Is anyone familiar with the differences between using an 'IMAP' or 'Exchange' account with an Exchange server using Apple's Mail? I want to set it up right first time on the new iMac.

Cheers :)

purana
6th April 2006, 09:30 AM
My guess is the exchange account setup to an exchange server must provide some other functions over and beyond an imap account to an exchange server. Google and confirm.

imap is a protocol used to obtain mail from a mail server, much like pop3 is and still is. Of course imap has advantages over pop.

exchange is obivously some microsoft mail protocol, so I it leads me to believe it must do stuff above and beyond the normal imap protocol (when used against an exchange server).

iMick
6th April 2006, 10:44 AM
I am pretty sure you will find that the Exchange and IMAP are one of the same for Apple Mail. It is just packeged differently to allow easier setup to an Exchange server.

If you want full Exchange functionality (calendaring, scheduling, delegation etc), you will need Entourage 2004 SP2

symean
6th April 2006, 10:58 AM
I have Entourage but it's seearch functionality is just too slow to be useful with around 50K messages, plus it stores mail locally in one great big thumping database file, which is dangerous in case it becomes corrupt. Because this file is modified every day, when I do local backups it copies the whole file again, every time. That's at least 4GB every day, so my backup outgrows the hard disk every few weeks.

Mail has none of these problems, the only thing I'm missing is calendar integration with my Windows co-workers, but apparently there are several workarounds to this for me or them.

I'll do some Googling and see what I can find.

teej
6th April 2006, 11:10 AM
I've used both - there's no difference. If you use Exchange for more than just email, fork out for Office as the latest update to Entourage is gold - iSync support, iCal, etc, all solid.

sikosis
6th April 2006, 12:06 PM
Exchange's default protocol is MAPI ... Microsoft's Mail API.

Basically, you make a connection to the Server and the Server will poll you when mail is received.

I have Entourage but it's seearch functionality is just too slow to be useful with around 50K messages, plus it stores mail locally in one great big thumping database file, which is dangerous in case it becomes corrupt.

Doesn't matter. With Exchange, your email LIVES on the server. You're just making a connection to it and then it keeps a local store on your machine, so you can work in offline mode, etc. As long as the Server is backed up, you should be right.

teej
6th April 2006, 01:39 PM
symean - if you have performance problems with Entourage, try excluding ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft/Entourage/ from Spotlight.

I used Mail.app for a long time despite it's lack of support Exchange's other functionality, but with the latest SP and Spotlight set to not index your local Entourage cache, Entourage really is much better for Exchange users.

symean
6th April 2006, 01:50 PM
The iMac came with a free copy of Office 2004 so I might give Entourage a go...

Cheers all :)

iMick
6th April 2006, 04:01 PM
Make sure you install SP4 for the full exchange compatibility.

I love Apples mail, but have to use clunky old entourage because of its exchange goodness.