PDA

View Full Version : Macworld Predictions

decryption
6th January 2004, 12:35 PM
Tomorrow morning, Australian time, our old buddy Steve will give his keynote presentation.

What do you think he'll make us want to max out our credit cards on? :P

Personally, I think the iBox rumor thing isn't true. A set top box isn't what Apple is into...
Speed bumps to the G5 are a given.. single 2.0GHz, dual 2.0GHz and a dual 2.6GHz, and maybe a $100 price reduction all around on the G5 range.

mini-iPods, I would like to see, but I'm not sure if Apple wants to do that.. their current iPod sells like hotcakes and is a superior product, might not make sense to release an inferior product.

Updates to the iApps will be done, which is always nice.

Other than that, I'll just have to leave it to Steve to surprise us!

What I'd really like to see that won't happen is a ~$1000 headless Mac. Something akin to an LCII, but with much newer hardware :P

the_argon
6th January 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jan 6 2004, 01:35 PM
What I'd really like to see that won't happen is a ~$1000 headless Mac. Something akin to an LCII, but with much newer hardware :P
That would be nice, I myself am waiting for G5 powerbooks!

Unlikely I know but if they do release them it will mean run-out prices on the G4's :)

decryption
6th January 2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by the_argon@Jan 6 2004, 01:56 PM
That would be nice, I myself am waiting for G5 powerbooks!

Unlikely I know but if they do release them it will mean run-out prices on the G4's :)
If Apple brings out a G5 PowerBook at MacWorld, I'll have to sell all the stuff I own so I can buy it :D

the_argon
6th January 2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jan 6 2004, 02:15 PM
If Apple brings out a G5 PowerBook at MacWorld, I'll have to sell all the stuff I own so I can buy it :D
lol.

Maybe a Bluetooth/Airport iPod?

That's one thing I'd like to see

Comet
6th January 2004, 05:42 PM
It seems like the iBox is simply a repackaged Phillips or simply Phillips and Apple announcing a joint product

cmetom
6th January 2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by decryption+Jan 6 2004, 02:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (decryption @ Jan 6 2004, 02:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> If Apple brings out a G5 PowerBook at MacWorld, I&#39;ll have to sell all the stuff I own so I can buy it :D [/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-decryption
mini-iPods, I would like to see, but I&#39;m not sure if Apple wants to do that.. their current iPod sells like hotcakes and is a superior product, might not make sense to release an inferior product.[/quote]
It&#39;s quite hard to say what the best business move would be - granted they make heaps from the iPods and they are certainly worth the money... but there is a big hole in their range, in the lower end. This is filled (from a consumer point-of-view) by flash-based MP3 players.

Having used a 10Gb for the better part of 14months, there is no way I&#39;d want a smaller one (capacity-wise). I&#39;ve been at a loss since selling it in Dec... using a skippy-CD player as well as not having ALL my music on hand, has been a painful time.

BUT - first-time buyers may be more impressed if they can buy a smaller capacity MP3 player with the street cred that the iPod has. This is good. The negative could be that people who were unsure, and MAY have bought a big one, now go for the smaller one and the "high-end" models lose sales.

Ehh. Whatever they do, I hope it works out for them.

Shawry
6th January 2004, 07:41 PM
Do we know for sure that Mr Jobs is announcing new products? Maybe its just a reality check for the company and announcement of greater marketing campaigns&#33;??

cmetom
6th January 2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Shawry@Jan 6 2004, 08:41 PM
Do we know for sure that Mr Jobs is announcing new products? Maybe its just a reality check for the company and announcement of greater marketing campaigns&#33;??
well true. rumours, no matter how likely, are still rumours&#33; anyway, not long now and we will know all&#33;

d-_-b
10th January 2004, 09:54 PM
[quote] lol.

If Apple brings out a G5 PowerBook at MacWorld, I&#39;ll have to sell all the stuff I own so I can buy it[quote]
Shit ... i just bought my powerbook G4 :( :P

decryption
10th January 2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by d-_-b+Jan 10 2004, 10:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (d-_-b @ Jan 10 2004, 10:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-the_argon@Jan 6 2004, 03:01 PM
lol.

That&#39;s one thing I&#39;d like to see
Shit ... i just bought my powerbook G4 :( :P [/b][/quote]
MacWorld passed already man, it&#39;s safe :P

d-_-b
10th January 2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by decryption+Jan 10 2004, 10:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (decryption @ Jan 10 2004, 10:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by d&#045;_&#045;b@Jan 10 2004, 10:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-the_argon@Jan 6 2004, 03:01 PM
lol.

That&#39;s one thing I&#39;d like to see
Shit ... i just bought my powerbook G4 :( :P
MacWorld passed already man, it&#39;s safe :P [/b][/quote]
ahh ok ... mad :P