PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Fullscreen Visualisation on Projector

gehenna
5th April 2006, 05:49 PM
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since posting because I recently sold my Mac mini and built a 64bit dual core home theater pc. Don't flame me though because i'll be getting a new iMac in a few months :)

Now, quick question. I have my computer hooked up to my projector as a second monitor, and i'm spanning the desktop to it. It's looking pretty sweet for everything except fullscreen itunes visuals (standard itunes built in ones).

Eg - when itunes is maximised on the projector display, and the visual is running in windowed mode it is playing at a very high resolution, looks fantastic. When I try to switch to fullscreen however, the projector goes blue as it is changing resolution DOWN to 640*480 and the visual looks POOR in full screen mode.

there MUST be a way to change it to full screen at high res because when its in maximised windowed mode its almost taking up ALL of the screen space anyway - except the control bar at the top and the status bar at the bottom.

Anyone got any ideas on how i can switch to full screen and keep my high resolution and pretty itunes visuals?

Many thanks
Mike

ps will update when i get my imac :D

astr0b0y
5th April 2006, 07:53 PM
Kia ora,

The built in iTunes visualiser has always switched the scren resolution to 640*480 and it has always shitted me to tears!
Try a third party one (Gaslight is great) or make your own with Core Image Fun House (really easy).

astr0b0y
5th April 2006, 07:59 PM
Me again.

You can also hit the '?' key while the visualiser is running to toggle extra opitons.

Kia kaha

Byrd
5th April 2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by gehenna@Apr 5 2006, 06:49 PM
64bit dual core home theater pc
If you want pretty visualisations, you won't get them by running iTunes. Milkdrop for WinAmp is wonderful.

JB

sikosis
6th April 2006, 10:40 AM
yeh its a shame you don't get the visualizations when running music via Front Row ... I guess that's something for Apple to work on.

gehenna
8th April 2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Byrd@Apr 5 2006, 09:59 PM
If you want pretty visualisations, you won't get them by running iTunes. Milkdrop for WinAmp is wonderful.

JB
once again byrd you've given me a completely irrelevant comment. please don't waste time by commenting if you don't know the answer, i'm well aware about winamp but i'm asking about itunes which i thought was quite clear from the original post.

anyway, thanks for the replies. i'm sure there must be a way in itunes to stop it scaling down the resolution in full screen. i mean with itunes maximised on the projector it plays at a very crisp 1280*760 ...and theres just the tiniest bit at top and bottom that are not used as they are used by the itunes window itself. so its clear itunes is capable of displaying full screen at high res....i just wonder how....hmm, more googling i guess!

cheers all

Byrd
8th April 2006, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by gehenna@Apr 8 2006, 04:38 PM
once again byrd you've given me a completely irrelevant comment. please don't waste time by commenting if you don't know the answer, i'm well aware about winamp but i'm asking about itunes which i thought was quite clear from the original post.
Wow, thanks - check your PM.

The iTunes visualisation is based on G-Force - there is an version of this that works under the Windows version of iTunes and supports resolution adjustment.

Link to download (http://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/)

JB

gehenna
10th April 2006, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the link byrd.