PDA

View Full Version : Networking bug in OSX

forgie
5th April 2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, I did the same thing twice, and got a complete lockup of OSX both times. That would make this a reproducable bug. Since I have a broken power switch on my iBook (which is entirely my own stupid fault), a full system crash is a MAJOR PITA.

Anyway, here's what I did:

1. I was connected to a network via ethernet. I didn't realise I was also connected via wireless.

2. I connected to someone elses mac share on the network.

3. I turned off my airport.

4. I clicked on the eject icon for that network share.

Boom, down goes OSX. It seems to get quite confused when you connect to the same network twice! Are there any other known bugs like this with OSX? This is the first reproducable thing I have found that will bring OSX down spectacularly.

marc
5th April 2006, 12:34 AM
I haven't seen any KPs with Tiger, and none that aren't hardware related with Panther.

Anyway... here you go:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

:)

soul assasin
5th April 2006, 12:42 AM
The only OS X networking problem I have encountered occurs when the server machine goes offline with clients still connected.

This usually results in the client machines lagging heavily (beachball) or freezing completely.

Note: This was not using Mac OS X Server, but standard installs.

forgie
5th April 2006, 01:29 AM
This would seem to be a related issue with a server dissappearing off the network. I think my iBook connects via airport before it connects via ethernet. So when I disconnected airport things went bad. Shouldn't there be some sort of error message though? Bad form apple, this is very MS of you.

And marc: been there, done that! :)

Currawong
5th April 2006, 11:21 AM
I've been having various problems with Appletalk lately (crashing Appletalk, CPU usage going crazy). I know that somewhere some data is stored by the Appletalk networking software, so I've been intending to find that and delete any cached information to see if that fixes the problem.