PDA

View Full Version : Mac Office to Office 2003 (Windows)

xfodder
3rd April 2006, 04:42 PM
i was working in word on my mac and saved my work on a usb flash drive then opened the word document on a friends windows box with office 2003...

the document didn't look the same as on my mac, i had aligned some text and it was no longer aligned....i checked the compatibility report and it said there were no problems....how come it looked different ?

Disko
3rd April 2006, 04:58 PM
Because microsoft can't manage the concept of compatibility between their own software divisions.

An irritating part of the world's reliance on MS Office.

tintinaujapon
3rd April 2006, 05:11 PM
Yep, sometimes the Windows and Mac versions look different. Exactly same file. Exactly same software maker.

marc
3rd April 2006, 05:24 PM
Font differences don't help.

However, yeah... time to scrap Word and start again M$!

pipsqeek
3rd April 2006, 05:25 PM
I found this was the case quite a fair bit through my TAFE studies. Here are the two solutions I found that worked the best.

1. If you know that the file is perfect and ready to print. Or whatever... save it as a PDF. no chance of formatting stuffing up at all.

2. Use Abiword instead of MS Office on the Mac. I tend to find it holds the formatting a heck of a lot better then Word does when taking the file to a PC with Word.

9 times out of 10, I'd PDF the file, and be happy.

xfodder
3rd April 2006, 05:30 PM
that's the solution i came up with pipsqeek when i need to print i save is as a PDF...but if i need to add or change anything :( as i have already spent the money on office i aint happy about that :(

Mark T
3rd April 2006, 05:36 PM
Also, won't the attached printer have some bearing on the way the document looks on that particular computer?

For example, if my printer is capable of printing A4 with no margins and then I transfer the document to another computer whose printer has set up A4 with minimum margins of 10mm, then the printable width of the document will be shrunk so that it will fit on the available printer. Accordingly, the document will be slightly longer, so if it only fit on one page originally, it may well flow onto a second page.

marc
3rd April 2006, 05:53 PM
Mark T :: Not if you know how to set the PDF printing settings properly :)

Aa
3rd April 2006, 06:26 PM
Wouldn't mind seeing a thorough document testing between platforms of Word-Word(all combinations), Pages-Word, and other-Word. Just to see once and for all what thhe guidlines are to maintain document integrity.

Haven't seen anything like that around though sadly.