PDA

View Full Version : Alias to an online XLS document

On-Site-Tec
2nd April 2006, 08:30 PM
Hi,

I want to link to one of my suppliers price lists without having to manually download it each week and have heaps of copies on my hard drive which confuses Spotlight.

On windows I simply create a shortcut and make the target...

"c:\program files\office\excel.exe" "www.website.com/pricelist.xls"

On windows that will simply open the file as a read only and I get an up to date price list each and every time without having to deal with XLS files all over the place.

Anyone know how to make an Alias for this on Tiger?

Matt.

Currawong
2nd April 2006, 09:11 PM
My first thought was that in the terminal, you could run:

open -a /Applications/Microsoft\ Office\ 2004/Microsoft\ Excel http://www.website.com/pricelist.xls

but I don't think it would work, as it might only send the url to Excel, which wouldn't have a clue what to do with it. Might be worth a try though.

So the only solution I can think of that would definitely work would be a script that downloaded the file and ran the open command above, but with a local path to the file.

On-Site-Tec
2nd April 2006, 09:16 PM
Excel should know what to do with the URL as with the Windows version, you type the full URL in the filename box when you go to File > Open and then it will quickly fetch it and load it up.

Im no good with anything to do with the terminal or scripts really so im not really sure what to do from here.