PDA

View Full Version : G3 iBook.... (pipsqeek)

pipsqeek
9th October 2004, 01:39 AM
As some of you may know, I have a G3 900MHz 12" iBook I got in August 2003.

Some of you also know that it went fine for about 8 months. Then the logic board failed.

Here was the first "documented" instance:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?a...pe=post&id=9342 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=9342)

After it was replaced and returned to me, the battery was not charging properly. So back it went. Turned out that the "new" logicboard was not working properly. So it too was replaced.

A few weeks later, the battery was not working at all. So it was taken back yet again. The battery was replaced. Although the running times improved dramatically, the charge times did not..8 hours to charge. sometimes more. But atleast it was lasting the normal 4-5 hours I was use to.

So, it was taken back because 8 hour charges are not very convenient.

Logic board was faulty..surpise...surprise...

It was replaced.....until a week later I rang up Apple to see what the story was...and this is what I got:

"The replacement we ordered in was also faulty, the Ethernet port didn't work when I tried to restore the backup of your drive. A new one has been ordered and should be in the store in a day or two."

So, I get the iBook back on Thursday evening. It worked fine.

Friday, it worked fine.

Saturday night. The worst (but most spectacular) of system faults to occur. The fan was blowing a gale. and this is what it was like: WARNING: MOVIE FILE IS +7MB

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/R0012381.AVI

After you have finished viewing that, this is what happened next:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/Restart%20Error.jpg

Then.....even worse.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/Major%...nel%20Panic.jpg (http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/Major%20Kernel%20Panic.jpg)

So, back to Apple repairer we go. But this time, its going to end on a happy note, because It has been arranged that the iBook will be replaced with a brand spanking new G4. Hopefully with the same specs or higher (closest to it) I will not settle for lower specced machine, in any of the areas. Airport, HDD, RAM, etc.

I have been putting up with a year of this shit. Hang on, you ask, "A year? But its only been happening since a few months back."

Yes, this is true, but what I failed to mention at the start was, that this iBook I have currently. is actually a replacement for a DOA iBook I got in August 2003.

It could be a one off, or just me being unlucky. Either way, its effecting me directly and Apple will get some form of a serving if they fail to accomidate me. And if they don't, well. I have two more years of Apple Care left. and I am not affraid to use it.....and use it, and use it, and use it.

I would suspect that the repair bills so far would have exceeded the price of a 15" PB. Maybe not in parts, but surely in Labour.

This post will continue, with the current situations and verdict. Stay tuned.

pipsqeek :(

headkicker
9th October 2004, 01:47 AM
man...feel sorry for ya

after what you have gone through you should really insist on a replacement from apple - nothing less!

let us know how you go mate

hawker
9th October 2004, 09:23 AM
I've almost had the same level of problems with my 40GB iPod purchased at the start of the year, and I thought the other day, I'm not taking this, wrote a letter to the managing director or Apple Australia and sent it off Thrusday!

I find if you're going to scream, at least scream at someone at the top, and not someone on the phone giving you the "company line"... :(

decryption
9th October 2004, 09:56 AM
I'd write to Apple also pip, tell them about all the fuck ups you've had with your iBook and that you demand some reimbursement for your inconvienence.
If Apple Australia don't listen, send a few letters to HQ in California, they might be more sympathetic.

pipsqeek
9th October 2004, 10:53 AM
Don't worry.

I have the Shop Manager, The techie who worked on it and the sales guy behind me.

I have commenced the writing of THE LETTER. I was also in the Apple shop this morning getting a complete print out of the history of my iBook. From the DOA to the most current issues.

There's about 10 pages. Which will be attached to the Appendix of the letter I am writting.

Once the letter is ready to be sent to Lemon..Sorry Apple. I will go to the shop, get the shops staff to all sign the thing and fax it from the shop.

The letter is going to include the link to this thread, as well as the individual links to each pic/movie that has been created proving the issues.

This thread will be have news updates on a daily basis....unless there is no news. Don't want to clog up the forum with shit.

pipsqeek

internet
11th October 2004, 08:59 PM
that's really unfortunate :(

hope it all goes OK.. makes me scared buying 2nd hand hardware.. doesn't have those sorts of warranties!!

Jimbo
12th October 2004, 12:38 PM
i can safeley say that next time i buy an apple product i will get applecare warranty on it, my g4 has cost me jsut under a grand to get repaired and now it gets those errors you mentioned at the start!

Oh, gay!

decryption
12th October 2004, 12:51 PM
Good luck with the letter Pip.
I hope Apple understands you and makes sure you are satisfactorily taken care of.

ARB
12th October 2004, 01:01 PM
Hi Pipsqueek,

I can appreciate your frustration with your iBook - I've had almost the same experience: I bought an 800MHz iBook last September, then went to England 2 weeks later for 6 mths, where the iBook was to be my main work machine.

Failure #1: November: Logic Board replaced. (However, Apple UK are definitely worse at customer service than Apple Australia. I had to drive 90 min to drop off the iBook in Oxford, having never driven there before, then do the same to pick it up *3* weeks later! Speaking Engrish to someone multiple times in an Indian callcentre to set this all up was a frustrating nightmare. Multiple calls, waiting up to one hour on hold before connection. Apple UK apparently had the option to install an option to tell you how long your call would take to be answered, but declined as they believed that they would have people hanging up on them! The international warranty took a week to sort out - the national databases aren't linked, apparently).

Failure # 2: late December: Logic Board replaced: Had to wait until the 2nd week of January for replacement. PIA.

Failure #3: mid-February: Logic board replaced: as I was going home at the start of March, I couldn't wait for Apple UK to go through the motions again. Put the unit in for service in Melbourne, and was fixed within a week.

The only good news to come from this is that the machine has been working fine since this last logic board replacement. However, like you, I'll be pushing for a full machine replacement if it fails again. I've got over 2 yrs remaining on the warranty also.

The whole experience has certainly soured me on Macs.

AB

sillydog701
12th October 2004, 01:17 PM
The good thing is that you are getting a free upgrade :-)

pipsqeek
12th October 2004, 01:28 PM
Sillydog, Well. I hope so anyway.

ARB:
Sounds like you might have the same batch of machine I do.

I'd push for a new mahine too. I understand that not all hardware is perfect, but this is getting unacceptable. The joke isn't funny anymore, and the Apple shop have noticed that the smile on my face everytime I have come in has started to dissapear.

pipsqeek

varsis
12th October 2004, 01:30 PM
Well from my brother as he has a 900 mhz g3 ibook he also has had 2 problems but they said in the apple service here that if there were anymore problems they would replace the whole ibook becuase it has has 2 logic boards replaced and a dead battery some monitor problems so i don't know but I think on the third time you should get a brand new one for me, I havent had any problems until the imac problem and the imac is 4 years old so not much I can do...

-varsis

pipsqeek
12th October 2004, 01:54 PM
This you will not believe.

I dropped off the iBook yesturday at the Apple Centre I frequent. All the while Apple Aust. looking at their options. The ones I gave them.

Meanwhile, the techie prepares the iBook for another LB. GUESS WHAT?

I get a phone call. From the sales guy then I spoke to the techie.

Sales: Steve, I just spoke to Apple, they have taken a serious consideration of your case and are contemplating replacing your machine with one of equal value. In this case, tha would be the 12" PB. This is not 100% yet, but its just an update from me to keep you posted. Here is Pete.

Pete: (The techie) Steve, I opened your machine up again, to prepare for the worst, another LB. And I noticed that there is no built-in RAM that is usually on board. So this time around the panics and all that were caused by the actual RAM you have (512MB) fitted. The lack of on-board RAM was causing the machine to crumble. This is a serious fault that I am sorry I didn't notice when I was fitting it to your machine. I am so sorry about this.

Me: You should'nt have to appologise for what you didn't do...and this story you just told me is going up on my forum right now. Keep me posted and tell Robert (sales) to keep me posted too. thanks guys.

So, it appears that Apple have really fucked up again, for what could probably be a perfect Logic Board, the fact that there is no RAM on it and the machine was using only the chip I had installed in there, could be causing the crap, and to top it off, Apple just ripped me off by 128 MB of RAM.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
13th October 2004, 12:00 PM
NEWS UPDATE!!!

Get this....

Apple Aust calls me just now...here's what their Customer Relations manager tells me.

"Steve, under our records which have been purged from the Apple Centre you have been dealing with, shows that you have in fact only had two logic board replacments and a battery replacement. There is nothing I can do at this stage but to replace the logic board again. This solution is final and there will be no flexibity in this decision. If and when the replacement logic board decides to become faulty, we will take further action in issueing you with a replacement machine."

Me:
Angie, My records show that there have in fact been 4 logic boards replaced as well as the Battery, as well as the DOA iBook to begin with. I have the written reciepts here in front of me. The rest you will hear from my Solicitors as I will in fact call him straight after this conversations is over as well a contact the Dept of Fair Trading and the ACCC in regards to the amount of absolute rubbish that is being dished out to me. Thank you for YOUR time and have a lovely afternoon.

Pending legal action...

pipsqeek

Disko
13th October 2004, 12:05 PM
http://www.appletalk.com.au/disko/worms2.jpg

purana
13th October 2004, 01:22 PM
Man I hope you slap them around a bit. That is not on. Also the memory on the logic board can't just be removed (its soldered to the bloody board). So the fact you got one without it begins to make me think what the hell is going on.

As to the indian call centre. Yep had to deal with them while I was servicing apple gear. And if they can't help you they then ask for assistance from the people we use to deal with directly. Talk about pain in the butt.

IN any case. Good luck. I hope you get what you want. However I am confused about the powerbook replacement line. I'd be asking who told this to the sales guy at the store.. or atleast who he was spoken to from?

decryption
13th October 2004, 04:21 PM
I hope you get your justice Steve :)

benny gsr
13th October 2004, 06:34 PM
Go for it Pip ! You'd have to wonder why they continue to be such a PIA. As someone already mentioned, the costs involved of sorting this out for them would have to be far greater than simply giving you a new machine. New machine.... easier for them, easier for you.... everybody wins?

pipsqeek
13th October 2004, 07:24 PM
That is what I don't understand. They could have saved heaps by now, surely.

And to top if off, when all shit is over they will have to pay out a further (albeit small) amount of money to replace the machine.

***UPDATE***

I get a call from the Applecentre that they found a 3rd record for a logic board replacement. Funny that. Now they just have to find the other two. But according to Angie, the Customer Relatoins Manager, this already warrants a replacement. She did say 3 logic boards. And they have now been accounted for.

Lets see what they say about this one. I wonder if they raise it to 4 logic boards, then we find the 4th record. If they raise it, I want it in writing. I asked for the Three LB's condition in writing but have not recieved this letter in the mail yet...and something lets me that I might not. Those Asses.

pipsqeek

Jmi
13th October 2004, 07:31 PM
I certainly admire you patience pip. I would have blown if I was in your shoes.
But then, I guess we can really point the finger at Apple as a whole. Angie, in fact
everyone would have known its both easier and cheaper to have just replaced the book , but there must be some rules that governed them which puts them in a spot as well
Anyways, hope this saga ends fast for you. :)

CarbonRods
13th October 2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Oct 13 2004, 12:00 PM
The rest you will hear from my Solicitors as I will in fact call him straight after this conversations is over as well a contact the Dept of Fair Trading and the ACCC in regards to the amount of absolute rubbish that is being dished out to me. Thank you for YOUR time and have a lovely afternoon.

Pending legal action...
I can understand your frustration, but paying solicitors fees is going to cost you a lot more than the replacement cost of your iBook. My guess is that Apple will use the same rational and dismiss your threat of legal action as mere bluster.

If you really do follow that course of action it will be interesting to see some sort of cost benefit analysis at the conclusion of this odyssey.

Steve

pipsqeek
13th October 2004, 08:17 PM
When things get to this stage, I throw cost out the window, just to stick it to them.

I am concentrating more towards the ACCC and Dept of Fair Trading atm anyway. Solicitors will be the last resort. but he has been contacted anyway.

At the end of the day, its about the principal of me paying for a product. If during the warranty period (in my case three years - and considering its logic board issues anyway) the product is faulty and you are not happy with it, you should be entitled to a replacement.

Or they can replace the good, working money that I gave them in exchange for the iBook.

pipsqeek

Squozen
14th October 2004, 12:04 AM
So, 3 repairs for the same part and they'll replace the whole machine? I'm on my 3rd LCD for this PowerBook....

pipsqeek
14th October 2004, 08:55 AM
I would consider finding out more about that then..provided nothing is wrong with the current replacement.

See, the truth is, I've had 4 logic boards replaced, and a 5th one being put in under Apple's instructions. Until they find that 3rd receipt, which both the Repair centre and I have accounted for, just that Apple doesn't have it on their records, so nothing is happening till it does.

Then again, with your issue. I can't say that Apple would consider a screen as high priority or important as something as a logic board. Not saying it isn't, just from my experience with Apple....according to them, my battery being replaced is jack squat. same as the DC board. means nothing.

But yeah, if I were you, I would write a letter to Apple.

Its such a shame that Apple computers appear to come out of sweat shops these days where their quality can somtimes resemble that of a counterfeit. In the past there have always been "bad apples" *mind the pun, but usually when they were fixed, that was the end of it. It was fixed. The fact that Apple keeps replacing this machines logic board one after the other, and the problems appear to be getting worse, its kind of hard for me to keep the faith anymore. They are repairing a machine that has had more work (money) put into in then if they would have replaced it. Understandably, whos to know when a logic board will die. But from what I hear, the replacements have the same known issues. So you just have to cross your fingers that they appear within the warranty period rather then after it.

This last Logic Board without on board RAM, that one I just can't get over. That is such a bad fault in a component to me. No wonder the machine was running like crap, and kernel panicing. And even if that was not the reason, the fact is, faulty or not, there was no RAM on the board. That is bad quality control to me...and I would assume, in anyones books.

The Mac's of old, even though they were slow, crappy specs compared to "other" manufacturers. Still sourced high quality components. They were solid and heavy machines that live today.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
14th October 2004, 01:47 PM
Well Well Well...

After all this bulldust over the past few days. It appears that Apple like to change their policies mid stream through a dilema.

Angie from Customer Relations said:
Steve, we have issued a repair order for the logic board in your iBook. Once this is done, you will have your iBook returned to you with the new logic board. If this new board should fail then we will take into consideration the replacement of your machine. There are no ifs or buts. This decsion is final. If the 3rd logic board works fine, then why would we replace a machine that is in 100% operational order? Don't you see the logic in that? I am not going to sit here arguing how you interpreted what I said. If and when the 3rd logic board becomes faulty, then requires replacement, then call me and send the unit to the shop it originated from.

Me:
Could I have that in writing, or will it dissapear like the previous condition I aksed for in writing?

Angie:
Steve, all I have been doing is repeating myself to you. Your iBook WILL get a new Logic Board and that is final. I do not have time for this immature argument over a little iBook.

Me:
Hello??? Its not just a little iBook, its one I bought with my own hard earned savings. And when I pay that sort of money for a computer, regardless of what level of operation, function, detail, specification, colour, brand it is. I expect it to work. and I expect it to work flawlessly over the period of its onwership to me. Your "little" iBook does not hold its end of the deal when it comes to what I paid for, so in fact my tune has change, something you are use to I can see. I don't want a replacement, I want a refund, End of story, and that's what its gonna be. Do not scare me with that rubbish of "This is final" blahblahblah!!!

I expect that letter in writting in my mail box by tomorrow otherwise I will be coming to the office and speaking to you in person, and making you write that letter out in front of me. That way, I can garantee some service. Then you can justify your title as "Customer Relations Officer" rather then just a job with a fancy title. Have some pride and consideration of what the current scenario is, and if you are somewhat of a considerate person, you will see that this is a genuine case of a lemon of a machine rather then some kid who just gets his jollies over things like this.

And that is the "End of story"

I look forward to seeing that letter. Don't go changing those policies on me again now.

pipsqeek

decryption
14th October 2004, 02:05 PM
It seems to me the Customer Relations Officer is lacking compassion for your situation. 5 logic boards (and I'm somewhat certain this 5th one will fail eventually) plus the battery thing, would normally warrant a replacement.
I don't understand why Apple won't give you one in this circumstance and why they're being so defiant over it....

downsys
14th October 2004, 02:43 PM
It seems to me that Angie had better start writing new resumes...won't stay long with that kind of language and service to customers...'little' iBook?WTF!if it was $2, i understand, but people pay $1000++ and he says 'little'?I'd like to see his little job title flushed down the toilet :ph34r:

pipsqeek
14th October 2004, 05:11 PM
Its exactly what people have always said to me in the past....Unless you have spent big money on Apple, they don't care. "Little iBook" Its nothing. just throw it away if it doesn't work and buy another one. Its not like its a $5000 plus G5 or something...it's worthless. Nothing.

This is bsaically the mentallity and the feeling I am getting. So all those people that told me, were not lying.

But that's okay...I'm an easy going guy. My iBook, when I have it in my posession and its working. I keep running all day. and night.

The latest trend has shown me that another logic board failure is eminent (not sure of the spelling).

I have decided that going further with it legally is going to take time...I will replace logic board after logic board as they become faulty. I'll keep doing this till Apple catches on. and 6 months before the warranty is over. I will them chuck another fuss over it like this one. but this time there will hopefully be more then *2 Logic board records. This will cost Apple dearly.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
20th October 2004, 12:24 AM
I just got the iBook back today, with Logic Board #5 in it (Apple's Logic Board #3).

And here is the result:
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/R0012415.avi

And this is what happened when I went to restart the iBook:
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/R0012416.avi

Here are the specs since I got it back today. I picked it up at 12:30pm in Sydney. From the shop.
Total time in pocession: 11 hours
Total time in use: 1 hour

Cracks me up. Lets see if Apple give me a new machine this time around. Who knows, they might turn around and say that I am the cause of it. They might say that I damaged the iBook on purpose. Infact, who knows what will come out of their mouth this time around.

The saga continues. Just like a soapy, tune in a few months later, and you could be watching this happen again.

pipsqeek.

jobe
20th October 2004, 01:04 AM
all i can say is WOW.

I have a g3 800mhz ibook. It gets taken to and from uni and passed around at group meetings at uni and is still on it's first logic board. You must have the worst of luck, or your ibook is cursed. I'm sorry to hear it and hope it all goes well for you.

scruffie
20th October 2004, 07:01 AM
Pipsqueek, do you actually turn on the ibook in front of them before you take it home? Or does it happen after awhile? Not that it really matters, its still crap, but you can add fuel to the fire at the store and go all snappy at them.

To be honest i wouldn't have any idea what to do if i was placed in your shoes. Apple would win if you either do nothing anything / give up. If they only intended to replace the logic boards, they would also win if you were slow in lodging the repairs because they would only have to replace a couple of logic boards till the applecare runs out.

So i think you would either have two options. Either realise that they would never repair the ibook to its original condition and simply churn your ibook to get as many logic board replacements as you can highlighting the absurdity of their repair policy (and have a small amount of hope that they might actually get it fixed); or believe that you will get it repaired or replaced to the condition that you were no worse off to begin with and go through with the legal thing, speak to the accc, post forums in the www.notgoodenough.org website to make it as painful for them as possible. Oh, and get Angie fired.

Good luck mate.

pipsqeek
20th October 2004, 09:51 AM
I still have two more years of Apple Care.

Judging by the amount of logic boards in such a short period of time, I forecast in two years that would equate to about 15 Logic Boards!

I returned the iBook this morning, with the box, packed away, all cables, etc. basically a visual to show that I am starting to get fed up.

Also, here is the "email" I got from Angie, not very in depth.

Hi Stefano,

As per our phone conversation I wish to confirm that if your iBook, Serial # UV3330ADPBM has any further hardware faults within the next 6 months ending on 15/4/05, that I would replace it for another iBook. Please quote ID # 99999999 (for security reasons) if another hardware fault should occur.

Yours faithfully,

Angie
Customer Relations
Apple Computer Australia

So, she has only given me 6 months, which leaves my Applecare rendered useless otherwise. But that doesn't matter because the machine stuffed up last night anyway.

Thankfully it says "if another hardware fault should occur." so that could mean, the sleep LED stops working. Could mean the keyboard fails? But no, it's another logic board!

We'll see what excuse they come up with this time.

pipsqeek

zefi
20th October 2004, 10:50 AM
Wow you've been incredibly patient... give the man his replacement!

gizo
20th October 2004, 12:28 PM
did you send her a quick reply to that, just to let her know she should start wrapping a new 1.2 or 1.33gHz iBook for you?

pipsqeek
20th October 2004, 03:58 PM
No, I sent her this:

Dear Angie,

Thank you for the email. It was much appreciated, but I was expecting more of a formal letter rather then just an email.

I did have a query regarding the conditions you have stated. From what I understand, the specifications in the the current iBook have changed dramatically compared to my purchased model. I am aware that the majority of the specifications such as CPU, RAM, etc have all been improved in performance and design. There are just some questions I wanted to make sure were cleared up in the event of another hardware failure to save from having to find out at a later stage, and be met with more discrepancies.

1. Considering most specs of the current iBook range have increased. One thing has not, there is currently no 12" iBook with a 40GB hard disk drive. Of all features, this one I rely on the most. What form of compensation will there be for the reduced size with the current 12" iBook by a substantial 10GB?

2. Considering my current iBook has had upgrades of RAM, to a maximum of 640MB and Airport wireless Ethernet fitted, will the replacement iBook have these features? Or will I have to purchase this hardware and upgrades all over again because the two models differentiate dramatically due to technological advances?

These were my two main concerns as at the time of purchase, these specifications interested me for the value money.

As mentioned, a more formal letter would be nice with a company letter head, something I can file, something that represents Apple's professional appearance a little more, along with a more specific policy on the replacement iBook. Take into consideration that with current specs my iBook cost me well over $2,500.00. I would like a replacement machine of the same value if and when the hardware faults arise again.

I would also be interested in considering a possible upgrade plan to effectively upgrade me to either a Powerbook of sorts as these particular machines have had less known problems. I am willing to organise an upgrade plan with the Authorised Reseller (AppleCentre Hurstville) and yourself for a 15" Powerbook.

This decision has been made by me basically because of the 2 iBook's I have gone through in 13 months as well as all the other components mentioned in previous conversations, and from other iBook users that have had a less, but still, unfortunate time with logic board replacements. I would rather pay the extra money in knowing atleast that the upgraded machine will not suffer the same fate.

Finally, I would like to know if there is any opportunity for a complete refund in the purchase price of the iBook, which I will more then likely use to purchase another brand of computer?

I no longer want to associate myself on a personal, professional and academic level with the Apple iBook, regardless of model, for the present and the future.

Regards,
Stefano Cosentino

Ironically, my 5 week old Bass Guitar Amp decided to follow the iBook Logic Board footsteps and head South. I just got back from the shop. 2 Hour round trip including a Jam session, some yarns, when the next gig is, and whos playing there. Oh, and my amp was replaced on the spot. With the sales man saying, why should you put up with crap? I'll get this replaced. have fun with your new amp. :)

Apple, :unsure: take note.

chickacherrycola
20th October 2004, 07:04 PM
Whoa. Five logic boards is more than a bit much. And so much for customer service.

Hope you don't mind if I link to this saga on the Mac Users Group Singapore forums, it's just so mindboggling I have to share!

thomas
20th October 2004, 07:17 PM
I don't know why they didn't just give you a new one. Most companies accept that if something is faulty it's generally much quicker and easier for all concerned to just give a replacement - if its broke it's broke...

Isn't this is what Applecare is for?

:huh:

pipsqeek
20th October 2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by thomas+Oct 20 2004, 07:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (thomas &#064; Oct 20 2004, 07:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I don&#39;t know why they didn&#39;t just give you a new one. Most companies accept that if something is faulty it&#39;s generally much quicker and easier for all concerned to just give a replacement - if its broke it&#39;s broke...

Isn&#39;t this is what Applecare is for?

:huh:[/b]
Well, most companies would.

And I am not too sure what Applecare is for anymore. Its broke. putting a band-aid on a wound that needs stitches.

<!--QuoteBegin-chickacherrycola@Oct 20 2004, 07:04 PM
Whoa. Five logic boards is more than a bit much. And so much for customer service.

Hope you don&#39;t mind if I link to this saga on the Mac Users Group Singapore forums, it&#39;s just so mindboggling I have to share&#33;[/quote]

Yeah sure link it all you want. the more people that know, the better I feel. Don&#39;t forget to tell them to sign up as forum members too.

downsys
20th October 2004, 08:55 PM
interesting. to show my support for u, i&#39;ll also post at MyMug (Malaysian Mac User Group) to share. i&#39;ve said it before and i&#39;ll say this again, Angie should get a new job.

Keltoi
20th October 2004, 11:33 PM
howdy peoples

I am new to this fourm though i have been reading post on hear for a while i just felt i needed to signup up to show my support for what you are doing pipsqeek. (:

I am not a mac owner at all, I have never even had the chance to use one. I visted these fourms because i am considering getting one as i have got board of linux on my PC and would like to get something a little differant (sort of like a hobby computer) (:

I would like to know if this makes you not want to get an mac again, or even if you would reconmend someone getting one still.

I hope it all works out for you pipsqeek (:

-Keltoi

benny gsr
21st October 2004, 12:16 AM
Have you contacted Consumer Affairs yet?

I am not sure on your location, but stuff screwing around with APPLe alone anymore. Start with a phone call to CA, and see what happens. DOn&#39;t forget to document the person&#39;s name (in full so you can recontact if needed).

In case you are in vic, here are their details. From what I understand CA are the guys to handle it, but if not, Im sure they will refer you.....

Consumer Affairs Victoria,

2nd Floor, 452 Flinders St
Melbourne 3000

ph. 1300 55 81 81
email: consumer@justice.vic.gov.au

.......got to love the email "@justice"......... hope you get it &#33;

benny gsr
21st October 2004, 12:22 AM
I forgot to add:

Warning to all employers:

If you have a position listed for any customer relations position, look out for a person by the name of "Angie". Do not hire them at all costs, for they may ruin your business.

:lol:

Disko edit: removed surname

Squozen
22nd October 2004, 02:31 PM
Well, my 15" G4 Powerbook is on its third screen (which has uneven backlighting and I am returning it for yet another replacement display), the power adapter died a week ago and the hard drive just failed on me last night. The warranty runs out on Saturday, and AppleCare will cost me &#036;579, which I really don&#39;t want to spend, but I don&#39;t think I have much choice unless I want to replace the screen out of my own pocket the next time it dies.

What is Apple&#39;s legal responsibility to me when their product keeps dying in the same fashion?

Squozen
25th October 2004, 09:05 PM
And replying to myself, the retailer mentioned trying to get a replacement machine from Apple... here&#39;s hoping. ;)

pipsqeek
26th October 2004, 01:42 PM
***News update***

Apple and the Applecentre have both contacted me in regards to the iBook.

Apparently they will be offering a replacement. HOORAY&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Someone must have figured out that this "little iBook" was starting to cost a "Large" sum of money.

Apple is saying that I may have to wait a month (4 weeks) for one though, as most of you may know, the iBook&#39;s just got an update.

As the HDD space is the most important to me, the current 12" iBook will not cut it as my G3 12" came standard with 40GB, the current 12" only comes with 30GB, 60GB is the next step up and that&#39;s on the 14".

So it was negotiated that I get a 14" iBook. Which is great. I guess.

Why am I not happy. Cause its not a 12" like I bought for starters, and 2ndly, I expected a machine of equal value. 12" PB. But I have deciced to look at it from a positive point of view. I am getting a 14" G4 iBook with Airport Extreme built in, for nothing. Considering that if I were to upgrade, my iBook (even if it were perfect) would not sell for more then &#036;1000. Try as I might. then adding the purchase price of the new machine. I still lose.

This way, I kind of look at it as breaking even.

But there was the RAM issue too, as I have maxed out my RAM on the iBook. 640MB. What would I do with the RAM chip now? Sell it and make a loss again?

I negotiated that I give the RAM back to Apple and they give me 512MB stick of DDR in its place. Surprisingly, there were no arguments, I just got an "Alright then" from Angie.

So, hopefully by next week, I should have a 14" G4 iBook with 748MB RAM, 60GB HDD, Air Extreme and all that good stuff.

I&#39;m still not happy though. Not until its in my lap. :)

pipsqeek

adamjc
26th October 2004, 01:51 PM
Well Congrats, Pip, finally some resolve from Apple.

That Angie, must have had a bit of a talking to i think.

Surely there must be someone that works for Apple Australia, that reads these message boards.

spawnster
26th October 2004, 01:53 PM
That&#39;s great to hear pipsqueek. I&#39;ve been following your saga and it&#39;s good to know that it&#39;s coming to a favourable conclusion. Cross fingers and nothing&#39;s wrong with your new NEW iBook. :)

mjankor
26th October 2004, 02:12 PM
That&#39;s one hell of a saga. It&#39;s wierd when you here some amazing stories of excellent service and others like this. It&#39;s almost like there&#39;s two different companies. Maybe Apple Australia has some explaining to do.

Disko
26th October 2004, 02:17 PM
We&#39;re back to the sega. :P

pipsqeek
26th October 2004, 05:44 PM
Fingers crossed its not like the first iBook, two dead pixels.

pipsqeek

Phillip
26th October 2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Oct 26 2004, 05:44 PM
Fingers crossed its not like the first iBook, two dead pixels.

pipsqeek
If it is, you would have to be the unlickest guy there is in my book. :P

Congrats on the NEW iBook. Hope you can enjoy an apple product at last.

scruffie
26th October 2004, 08:12 PM
Congrats pipsqeek&#33; We all love a happy ending. Sniff. :)

internet
26th October 2004, 10:31 PM
what a crazy story

i&#39;ve never bought much from apple new (ipod, accessories), but i hope i never, or no one else here, ever has that problem again

frenchtoast
27th October 2004, 01:33 AM
finally some sort of justice for you pip. hopefully it all works out.

pipsqeek
28th October 2004, 03:58 PM
I got a phone call from Apple today.

I was notified that the "new", "replacement" iBook will arrive in 7-10 days from when the order was placed.

So I think I should expect it by Thursday or Friday next week or at the latest, the following week.

pipsqeek

Jimbo
2nd November 2004, 12:19 AM
just goes to show, don&#39;t sit quiet, complain, get your goat up about it, get in their way and they will thank you for it... remember the customer is ALWAYS right (but never mention this)

-Jim

pipsqeek
3rd November 2004, 10:34 AM
Yeah, the thing was, I was essentially told over the phone how I was wrong. Intead of suggesting that something in the system was incorrect. No, I was wrong. I only had the iBook in for 2 logic boards.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
9th November 2004, 12:03 PM
Still waiting.

But I get a phone call everyday from the shop owner with the status.

pipsqeek

purana
9th November 2004, 12:40 PM
Good news... with my experience from being a certified tech, I&#39;ve found apple to sort these things out always very well. Sounds like all is good.

It will be all final once the machine shows.. :)

adamjc
9th November 2004, 12:44 PM
But look at how long it has been for him to get it fixed iodine, and still waiting.

My only question is, say if pip had ordered online through the apple store, what would have been the procedure for returning it all those times to get repaired? Do you have to pay for the delivery or will apple arrange a pickup?

-Adam.

pipsqeek
9th November 2004, 12:59 PM
I just received a call from Apple Aust.

The iBook is on backorder.

Funnily enough, it takes 1-2 days delivery according to their website.

Wouldn&#39;t it just be easier if they refunded my money, and I re-ordered my iBook/PB off the site?

Or am I blowing it out my arse again?

pipsqeek

adamjc
9th November 2004, 01:23 PM
I think your got enough reasoning to blow out your arse pipsqeek&#33;

Did you suggest to them the idea of refunding and ordering off the site again? Or what if they cancelled the current order and credited your apple.com.au account.

They may not want to refund your money because they may not trust that you will reorder.

-Adam.

jobe
9th November 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@Nov 9 2004, 12:44 PM
My only question is, say if pip had ordered online through the apple store, what would have been the procedure for returning it all those times to get repaired? Do you have to pay for the delivery or will apple arrange a pickup?

-Adam.
no. this is yet another area where apple are truly miles ahead of competition. You see, a lot of the Apple stores around are also apple service providers. They deal with all apple products no matter where it was purchased. I&#39;d asume they get some kind of kick back from apple for dealing with all the warrenty issues and everything else, along with their service fees where it&#39;s not covered by warrenty.

And there is not shortage of service providers according to http://store.apple.com.au/buy/service/ (search for your area on the right)

In saying that... I would probably only take it to a few of the places listed.

So whilst the internet is great for buying stuff without the value added of some store clerk and everything else... when you have a problem it&#39;s nice to be able to talk to someone in person and not trying to explain over the phone. My ibook recently came down with the same problem for the first time here (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2228)

adamjc
9th November 2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks for that info Jobe.

That was one concern i had with ordering online. In my opinion there is no advantage of ordering from a store on the street (after Jobe&#39;s info) when it comes to Apple Products, especially if you are ordering with Education Discount (price cannot be discounted any more). Seeing you get the same level of service in taking a product into a store whether you order online or not.

At least now i know when i do order my Apple PC i will order from the online store.

-Adam

pipsqeek
9th November 2004, 02:21 PM
Something else I think is funny. I just did abit of my own investigating.

I called up various Nextbyte dealers as well as other Authorised Apple resellers.

What&#39;s funny about that?

They all have stock of the new iBooks.

This only does one thing to me. Makes me freakin pissed off. :angry:

On a lighter topic.... I can only see one mediocre reason to deal with an actual shop.

And that is, there is a possibility of your desired product being in stock and you get it on the day, rather then having to wait for it to arrive.

Saying that. It has been 19 days since Apple confirmed they are in fact replacing it.

Slightly different from their 1-2 Days quoted from the site.

Unless, in actual fact, they are litereally meaning, "build time". The time taken to build the machine, then Jobs knows how long it takes for you to get it from then on.

pipsqeek

gizo
9th November 2004, 04:50 PM
pip,

i am on your side %100 okay, but.. wouldn&#39;t the apple stores just have stock standard iBook&#39;s around? and yours is a special order, isn&#39;t it? extra RAM/HD?

that being said, it&#39;s not good enough, for such a screw up.

adequate customer service would have been different all along the track, but as far as replacement machines go, yours should have been prioritised.....

it&#39;s ridiculous. and sad.

pipsqeek
10th November 2004, 10:44 PM
No, its not a special order. They are going to give me a stock standard 14" G4, that comes with Airport Ex, 60GB HDD and 256MB RAM, and its faily easy to install the extra 512MB they owe me right then and there.

According to Apple Customer Relations, they cannot take my suggestion (or yours for that matter) of just getting an existing one out of stock and providing me with it.

But you&#39;d think to keep a customer who has not seen his iBook in over 20 days. Hasn&#39;t use his iBook in over 30 days would get alittle compassion and maybe some strings would be pulled.

If this were a G5, I would bet you a drink at the pub that I would have a replacement machine right now.

Not having the iBook has put a great burden on my studies as I relied to heavily on the iBook. Which has been replaced with my trust "old" 16MB USB thumb drive. Transfering files between the G4 tower and TAFE. It has been more reliable then the iBook, and Apple if I may be so bold so say so.

pipsqeek

gizo
13th November 2004, 07:46 AM
yeah, okay... you win (or at least, you should.. )

i think you are being quite patient though, if it were me, i think i would have been calling them every day, and quite politely asking how long it would be, just checking up, seeing as how so much of their &#39;service&#39; has been unreliable. and, if i could, i&#39;d be doing my darndest to get a direct number for someone higher up in the foodchain, someone who really doesn&#39;t want to hear this _every_ day. but always, polite, caring, almost as though you want to help them to get it right....

"yeah high belinda (not her real name), it&#39;s gringo (not my real name) here, i was just calling today to check how my &#39;little ibook&#39; is going. yes, i know you said yesterday it&#39;s on backorder, but i just wanted to make sure it hasn&#39;t slipped off the list, because i know you&#39;ve had a few problems with service delivery recently, and i wouldn&#39;t want you to have any more problems, i can imaging how frustrating that would be for you.....okay, thanks for your time, i&#39;ll speak to you soon...."

but then, i&#39;m a bit of a twat, so who knows....

adamjc
13th November 2004, 08:45 AM
"yeah high belinda (not her real name), it&#39;s gringo (not my real name) here, i was just calling today to check how my &#39;little ibook&#39; is going. yes, i know you said yesterday it&#39;s on backorder, but i just wanted to make sure it hasn&#39;t slipped off the list, because i know you&#39;ve had a few problems with service delivery recently, and i wouldn&#39;t want you to have any more problems, i can imaging how frustrating that would be for you.....okay, thanks for your time, i&#39;ll speak to you soon...."

LOL Gringo,

That sounds like a way i would talk to them in this kind of situation. A bit sarcastic with an understanding tone, making the person feel good on the other end. Cant go wrong. :lol:

Adam.

pipsqeek
14th November 2004, 11:53 AM
yes, well. Unfortunately, this is the result of doing exactly that.

I am speaking to the highest person I can get to at Apple. I am now speaking to no one else but the upper management.

All I am really getting a better and clamer, more understanding person. But still, its really only the same result.

I still don&#39;t get why Apple Aust has the iBook on backorder, with no stock at all. Yet some random shops I called said they have them. Unless the shops are lying to suck me in to coming in and buying one. Which I wouldn&#39;t put past them.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
15th November 2004, 11:34 AM
I just spoke to Apple Australia.

Firstly. It appears Angie has left Apple. Not sure of the reasons. But she&#39;s gone, and I got to deal with somewhat of a more understanding person.

The only info they could give me though, is that Apple Aust is just starting to see iBook&#39;s come into the country, in very small quantities.

Fingers crossed, my one is in that shipment to arrive end of this week.

On a more sour note. I need a laptop of any kind (that&#39;s OS X capable) I have my final project presentation at TAFE this week, and without a laptop, I might as well not bother showing, and re-enrol for next semester. Pay &#036;600 just to come to the Presentation in 5 months time.

Could anyone in Sydney lend me a laptop for 1 day (Wed 17th of Nov)? You can either come with me to TAFE, I&#39;ll drive you. or you can have collateral of sorts. my guitar or something.

I do not want to go to TAFE all over again, just because of this lengthy screw up.

I called the shop up to ask if they had any support for borrowing a machine for one day. or something. I got nothing. Bastards.

They even told me someone in the same situation (TAFE presentation) had to buy a new machine. Just so they don&#39;t have to do this all over again. BULLSHIT I say. I never trust anyone that says, "Somone just like you....", "I&#39;ve got one of these myself", "They&#39;re great, my friend bought one". Give me a break.

Pipsqeek - help :(

zefi
15th November 2004, 11:44 AM
Dude, I&#39;d lend you my laptop if I were in Sydney :(

Have you thought about maybe renting one if you can&#39;t borrow one? By the way, I just got my iBook G4 last week, so you should see your soon.

internet
15th November 2004, 11:51 AM
mac rent&#33;

pipsqeek
15th November 2004, 12:01 PM
hmm, Mac Rent. Will have a look.

Aren&#39;t they a term or something though? or can I just rent it for the day?

Plus, the idea of spending more money. I am unemployed. :(

pipsqeek

king89
15th November 2004, 12:28 PM
If you are really desperate, let me know.
I don&#39;t really want to let go of my PowerBook, but I guess not having if for one day is better then you being screwed over for 6 months.

Message me if your desperate.

pipsqeek
15th November 2004, 12:49 PM
I am desparate, but don&#39;t want to comprimise someone.

Actually, I shouldn&#39;t have asked.

pipsqeek

king89
15th November 2004, 01:35 PM
Well the offer is still there :P

Currawong
15th November 2004, 07:14 PM
You can borrow my Powerbook if you need to as well. I&#39;m at work 10am to 6pm, so you&#39;d have to pick it up at around 9am. I could come by and pick it up after work too.

Byrd
15th November 2004, 10:19 PM
Pip, I&#39;d help out if I could too. Hopefully you can take Currawong up on his generous offer. Have you considered taking your G4 tower to the presentation - overkill I know, but would do the job :)

JB

pipsqeek
16th November 2004, 08:30 AM
The thought crossed my mind. But in the current state I am in. The G4 s too heavy.

I have eliminated my main sugar source from my diet, Soda (Coke Cola) Cordial, etc. And I have started to feel very lathargic. I think its cause my body is going..."Hey, where&#39;s my energy source gone?"

I&#39;m thinking that it was a bad idea and the wrong timing to do so.

Thank you all for your offers, I have organised a laptop. Thanks king89 and Currawong, as well as you bYrd.

pipsqeek

bassmanbliss
16th November 2004, 08:45 PM
Hey Pip,

Been following your saga with the iBook. I ordered one on monday on behalf of a family member and was told that it would be here between friday and monday and that there were plenty in the country. Maybe Apple are trying to give you a bit of a run around.

pipsqeek
16th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Well, they have done a bloody good job of it so far.

If it was eye for an eye, then a machine of equal value would have been in my possesion a while back. A 12" PB.

All I can say is, "Bastards". If I may be so bold as to say, I have never dealt with worse customer service then Apple Australia.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
18th November 2004, 10:41 AM
Good News.

I got a call from Apple to notify me that the iBook has infact been delivered to the store.

I will be picking it up this afternoon.

It will be put for sale. But not here because of the policies of the Trading Forum.

pipsqeek

markh
18th November 2004, 11:47 AM
Why are you going to sell the replacement?

gizo
18th November 2004, 12:03 PM
without meaning to be rude, read the thread... it&#39;s a ripping rollercoaster of a novel...

markh
18th November 2004, 12:28 PM
still doesnt answer my question... i mean, he got a new iBook G4 out of it so why sell it? Going back to the "dark side" of the PC world?

Ozi
18th November 2004, 12:32 PM
mark, i believe he is getting rid of the ibook because he is sick of the things. He has only had bad experiences with iBooks, and is desperate to buy a piece of technology which will live up to the Apple name. I believe he is investigating either a 12 or 15" powerbook.

Hopefully, whichever Apple he buys as the iBook replacement will work flawlessly. And no, I don&#39;t thin he is going to the dark side.

Disko
18th November 2004, 12:34 PM
Personally, i&#39;d just keep the new iBook. Sure, it doesn&#39;t cost as much as your inital G3 ibook - but look at the life you&#39;re going to get out of it, you just got your ibook&#39;s "start date" reset, and have got another few years left where you wont need to upgrade.

markh
18th November 2004, 12:39 PM
That was my thinking also Disko. I&#39;d be just sticking with the brand new iBook and wait to see what develops with the G5 powerbooks (whenever that may be)

QueenOfSwords
18th November 2004, 03:27 PM
Yeah I might be contradicting myself here but you&#39;ve had quite enough hassle lately, and been without a laptop long enough, and the G4 iBooks haven&#39;t evidenced the G3 flaws. It might be worth keeping it.

pipsqeek
18th November 2004, 04:00 PM
2 out of 3. The odds are stacked up against it.

Dark side? I don&#39;t think so. One PC in the house is enough, and that is just a glorified XBOX.

BTW, I am writing this post from the iBook at the Apple Centre, guess what?

Apple forgot to add the RAM, I got ripped off a further 512MB, and am now in the process of negotiating to the "new" Customer Relations chick.

pipsqeek

Phillip
18th November 2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 18 2004, 05:00 PM
Apple forgot to add the RAM, I got ripped off a further 512MB, and am now in the process of negotiating to the "new" Customer Relations chick.
And the saga continues. It seems Apple hates you. :ph34r:

pipsqeek
18th November 2004, 04:38 PM
The feeling is mutual

pipsqeek

Moose
18th November 2004, 05:00 PM
Hooray you Pip, we all love your courage and determination. Donít ever change the way you are, if it werenít for people such as you then big business would walk all over us even more than they already do. At least take homage that there would be a very large poster of your name at apple HQ with at least a few darts in it. Bet your arse you will be an example in customer service training come the next apple training day&#33; You are more than a thorn in the side of Apple, you are the epitome of commitment and perseverance, you truly are an Aussie battler.

Welcome to Struggle Town, population, and founding member. Pipsqueek.

Long live the Pip. :P

pipsqeek
18th November 2004, 09:51 PM
Moose,

Thank you.

Your words make me feel like it was all worth it. I still find it funny that TAFE finished unofficially today. Apple Aust calls me today..."your iBook is here."

LOL

Now that I have been using it. I really don&#39;t want to let it go. I was so disgruntled and ready to sell it. Now... I kinda dont want to.

But time can only tell.

I guess I can be the new benchmark for iBook&#39;s around the world.

Soon as I get more RAM, I can start getting back into serious editing.

I would like to thank everyone for support. The good and bad remarks, they all provoked me to further encouragement.

Thanks to all.

More thanks to those that offered to support my TAFE presentation issues. Such bad timing.

A special thanks to Curra, for lending me his PowerBook. I lusted over it while it was in my possesion. And I painfully drove through 2 hours of traffic (normally a 30 mins cruise) to get it back to you. haha, Thank you oh so very much.

Thank you for the support.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
24th November 2004, 08:35 AM
Well, I sit here, with the new iBook. Using only 256MB RAM....still.

I called up the shop today after calling yesturday, and being told that the person now looking after the iBook shinanigans is not available and will be in tomorrow. Is not infact in tomorrow, cause tomorrow is now today. And that person that told me, could not help me find out if they have any RAM.

So, I call them up today, to find out from that person that might be in today. Who isn&#39;t. I get told from someone else, that the RAM has in fact arrived....Yesturday. BITCHES&#33;

256MB of RAM has been painful. I can&#39;t run Safari, Mail, and OpenOffice at the same time. Let alone Photoshop on its own.

They run, but very painfully, and I can hear and feel the HDD thrashing away. My most hated sound.

I should have 748MB of RAM by the end of today. Which crazily enough, is the official end of my TAFE course. Apple seem to time things well. HAHAH. joking.

pipsqeek

Moose
24th November 2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 24 2004, 08:35 AM

............... looking after the iBook shinanigans ...............
:lol: Shinanigans, I love it. That has to be word of the day.

What is that restaurant with the baskets hanging on the walls, and they serve those cheese sticks? (Fans of the movie Super Troopers will appreciate.)

markh
24th November 2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 24 2004, 08:35 AM

256MB of RAM has been painful. I can&#39;t run Safari, Mail, and OpenOffice at the same time. Let alone Photoshop on its own.

They run, but very painfully, and I can hear and feel the HDD thrashing away. My most hated sound.

Funny, When i first got my PB, ran with 256MB for a few months.. Works fine.. OOo might be your problem ;-)

pipsqeek
24th November 2004, 11:35 PM
Oh, it runs fine.

I just hate HDD swaping.

I now have 768MB of RAM.

And here is the final story.....

I call the shop today, I ask if the RAM has arrived.

I get told it has, along with a big shipment of the same chips.

I go there, the shop owner comes out, very defensive, and asks me, "What&#39;s your problem now?"

I am like WTF? Everything was fine till yuo walked in the room.

So I proceeded to talk to him calmly about the situation. To which he replied, "..and you were told that when it arrived, you&#39;d get a call, did you get a call? NO. I am going to have to ask you to leave, this conversation is over."

Me: WTF? So I tell him, "I have come here (wasting my time) to pick up the RAM I was told was here. I wouldn&#39;t come here otherwise, unless I have confirmation of it being here. I&#39;m not one to come here on the basis of giving you a hard time. I have much better things to do with my life then piss you off. But honestly, your attitute has started to piss me off. Not once during this entire drama have I raised my voice, demanded anything rediculous, unreasonable or out of the ordinary. I wanted a replacement for my iBook and I got it, but I am here because I didn&#39;t get what was agreed upon. I know this has nothing to do with you personally or even the shop for that matter, it has to do with Apple Aust. But at the same time, you are the contact, the inbetween and the person selling the product as well as supporting it. At the end of the day, I am YOUR customer, not Apple&#39;s.

If I bought this (pointing to the iBook) from the online store, then I would not be dealing with you at all."

At this stage, he started to walk off, away from me, mutter, "I don&#39;t know what to do mate, you come in here, raise hell and blame it all on us, but the RAM isn&#39;t here."

Me: "Well, then find out where it is."

Shop owner: "I have called Apple numerous times, they tell me it has been sent, but we can&#39;t keep track of it and cannot say when it will arrive here."

Me: "It was to arrive here last Friday, at the latest Monday."

Onwer: "Well if that&#39;s the case, where is it?"

Me: "Well, if you can&#39;t tell me, which you can&#39;t, because you are asking me, then what use are you? What is the point of all this, what use are you, coming out here trying to resolve a problem you have admitidly said you know nothing about, and cannot do anything about?

I am going to call Apple right now, you are not going anywhere until I know what is going on."

So, I proceed to call Apple Aust, from their phone. Put it on handsfree. Meanwhile, a few customers are really interested in the outcome. I speak to Customer Relations. I get vocal confirmation with order numbers, etc. To back up the claims. Because its on handsfree, I get the shop ower to hear it first hand from the source.

Shop owner freaks out. Then interupts to say that they have no stock of such items. To which Apple replys back saying if you lost the RAM, because we have records you have received it, it has been signed for. Then you are oblidged to give the customer his rightful parts, end of story, if you do not do this, then the customer has a right to complain that he has not received what he rightfully owns and they can take further action, no only with Apple Aust, but with the local authorities. This will in turn prevent you from dealing as an Authorised Apple Dealer in accordance with our policy."

Me: Grin, "can I have my RAM now please?"

Owner: "FINE&#33;" - storms off, gets RAM.

Me: "Thanks <name widtheld> Apple Aust.

Owner: "Here&#39;s your RAM, you happy?"

Me: "Uhm, I would be more happy if a technician fits it for me, as I watch them do it. right here on the front desk."

Owner: "Mate, you&#39;ve got your RAM, now get out my store and never come back"

Apple Aust: Still on handsfree "Excuse me sir, why are you talking to the customer like that?"

At this stage, the RAM is being fitted as requested by me. I am walking out the shop, the conversation between Apple Aust and the shop is still going.

Meanwhile, customers give me a round of applause. One of them says, "hmmm, mate, I have 4 dead pixels on my G5 iMac, can you represent me to get a replacement screen?"

I laughed, and said, "No, I have put up with enough crap from this shop. And I can&#39;t justify the money I would charge you for my services, good luck to you. Its taken me this long with all the hassles, and I have 5 Logic Board replacement in a 3 month period."

Walked out the shop with 768MB 14" iBook with 60GB HDD.

If anything happens to this machine, I will be taking it to another shop.

Thank you all for listening.

pipsqeek :)

fompsweeva
24th November 2004, 11:48 PM
That&#39;s awesome, man.

Which applestore is it?

Perhaps they&#39;ll change hands soon, :P

spargo
25th November 2004, 02:25 AM
While unfortunate for you pip, your well-written story has been a great read over the months and definitely a lesson to others.. I&#39;m glad to hear that it is finally all over (fingers crossed and touch wood blah blah blah)..

I&#39;m off to see one of the Retail Store Genius Bar Genius&#39; in the next few days about a touchy iPod - i&#39;m expecting exactly the opposite in the way of service and response..

top work in dealing with the retailer, and I hope for you it is the end of the saga.

markh
25th November 2004, 05:39 AM
Good on you pipsqeek. Are you going to name the reseller in question? Think stories like this add further to the weight with Apple&#39;s current 10% price matcbing, that is just not a matter of supporting the local reseller just because they are there, but they need to offer better service n all. Still, as I have said before, online for me from now on.

pipsqeek
25th November 2004, 09:25 AM
I would gladly name the business, but I am not sure that it is acceptable on the forums. I shall find out. -I have found out that I can, but rather not, for the odd chance that someone from there reads this thread, proceeds to sui AppleTalk, in turn coming out of the pocket of its creator(s). That&#39;s where it becomes personal.

So I would rather not say due to those reason. But I will say, it is located in the St. George area - Myer? maybe, I&#39;ll leave that to you. ;)

I would like to thank all the people I previously thanked, again. But I would also like to thank the forum moderators, admins and others in key areas of running this forum...you know who you are.

Thank you for offering me a place to vent, express and convey my story of what I would call, "What Jobs&#39; Doesn&#39;t Want to Know"

Thanks to all.

pipsqeek

Ozi
25th November 2004, 11:11 AM
ah thats an awesome conclusion to this long saga&#33; :) I will miss reading the funny updates. Whilst the saga ha been hell for you, it has been great entertainment for all of us, listening to you battle the giant&#33; Congrats on this outcome, pip. :D

gizo
25th November 2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 24 2004, 11:35 PM

Owner: "Mate, you&#39;ve got your RAM, now get out my store and never come back"

Apple Aust: Still on handsfree "Excuse me sir, why are you talking to the customer like that?"

oops.....

it&#39;s interesting to note the change of attitudes here.....
apple helpline started off being useless, contradicting yr statements and belittling yr purchase, and the store were doing what they could...
and then... the store turned sour, and offensive, and the aple helpline were organised, efficient, helpful, and indeed, suitably upset with the store&#39;s attitude towards you....

everyone is a bad person at some point.... it just sucks that you got all of them....

at least it&#39;s over....(or is it.........?)

< cue dead predator in airlock, with baby alien exploding out >

purana
25th November 2004, 01:01 PM
Nice serve to the guy... and to think he forgot apple was still on speakerphone... hahahahaha priceless.

pipsqeek
25th November 2004, 03:47 PM
It was hilarious, but I kept the laughter inside till I got in the car.

I am happy now though, that the entire thing is over.

I can now use my required apps for work and not have a machine that thrashes away at the sign of work coming its way.

Even GarageBand has stopped giving me errors, "This machine cannot go further, due to the amount of tracks currently in use". - WHAT? all 2 of them? too much to handle? HAHA

While comments were made that 256MB of RAM cuts it for some people. I do give the computers I use, a hard time. I demand alot from my computers, and most of them deliver...most.

Now the iBook....we shall see what happens.

pipsqeek

Phillip
25th November 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 25 2004, 12:35 AM

Owned.

Congrats on finally getting the iBook ;)

macintoshrules
25th November 2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Oct 9 2004, 01:39 AM
As some of you may know, I have a G3 900MHz 12" iBook I got in August 2003.

Some of you also know that it went fine for about 8 months. Then the logic board failed.

Here was the first "documented" instance:
http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?a...pe=post&id=9342 (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=9342)

After it was replaced and returned to me, the battery was not charging properly. So back it went. Turned out that the "new" logicboard was not working properly. So it too was replaced.

A few weeks later, the battery was not working at all. So it was taken back yet again. The battery was replaced. Although the running times improved dramatically, the charge times did not..8 hours to charge. sometimes more. But atleast it was lasting the normal 4-5 hours I was use to.

So, it was taken back because 8 hour charges are not very convenient.

Logic board was faulty..surpise...surprise...

It was replaced.....until a week later I rang up Apple to see what the story was...and this is what I got:

"The replacement we ordered in was also faulty, the Ethernet port didn&#39;t work when I tried to restore the backup of your drive. A new one has been ordered and should be in the store in a day or two."

So, I get the iBook back on Thursday evening. It worked fine.

Friday, it worked fine.

Saturday night. The worst (but most spectacular) of system faults to occur. The fan was blowing a gale. and this is what it was like: WARNING: MOVIE FILE IS +7MB

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/R0012381.AVI

After you have finished viewing that, this is what happened next:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/Restart%20Error.jpg

Then.....even worse.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/Major%...nel%20Panic.jpg (http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bikies/Major%20Kernel%20Panic.jpg)

So, back to Apple repairer we go. But this time, its going to end on a happy note, because It has been arranged that the iBook will be replaced with a brand spanking new G4. Hopefully with the same specs or higher (closest to it) I will not settle for lower specced machine, in any of the areas. Airport, HDD, RAM, etc.

I have been putting up with a year of this shit. Hang on, you ask, "A year? But its only been happening since a few months back."

Yes, this is true, but what I failed to mention at the start was, that this iBook I have currently. is actually a replacement for a DOA iBook I got in August 2003.

It could be a one off, or just me being unlucky. Either way, its effecting me directly and Apple will get some form of a serving if they fail to accomidate me. And if they don&#39;t, well. I have two more years of Apple Care left. and I am not affraid to use it.....and use it, and use it, and use it.

I would suspect that the repair bills so far would have exceeded the price of a 15" PB. Maybe not in parts, but surely in Labour.

This post will continue, with the current situations and verdict. Stay tuned.

pipsqeek :(
Man that&#39;s horrible... the attatched picture scares me...

Actually, the left hand side reminds me of the Matrix with all the letters and numbers down the screen...

I had similar problems with a PB G3 Wallstreet...

That&#39;s very funny&#33;

macintoshrules
25th November 2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by markh@Nov 25 2004, 05:39 AM
Good on you pipsqeek. Are you going to name the reseller in question? Think stories like this add further to the weight with Apple&#39;s current 10% price matcbing, that is just not a matter of supporting the local reseller just because they are there, but they need to offer better service n all. Still, as I have said before, online for me from now on.
Yeah, name them and we&#39;ll go there and complain about non-existant machines and claim they lost them...

Not really...

Ok, we&#39;ll just avoid them&#33;

pipsqeek
25th November 2004, 06:25 PM
Well, as mentioned, I, rather then name them, have not. Because it may jeapordise AppleTalk, and its creators - financially, and we will all lose this great (if not the greatest) resource that&#39;s come to these shores.

All I have said is where in Sydney it could be. Anyone with a mac in this area would know.

But keep it to yourself, as tempting as it is. Just spread the word to people you meet. That&#39;s what will hurt them the most. Word of mouth.

pipsqeek

Jimbo
25th November 2004, 09:02 PM
i have two words pip,
Fuck yeah&#33;

Thats what apple users are, people who stick it to the man.
Fight the power and all that.

I am extremely impressed by your little spiel to the apple store owner guy.

Fantastic 11/10

petruk
25th November 2004, 09:56 PM
Hey mate, I didn&#39;t notice this thread until today. Congratulations on the outcome&#33; The final RAM story was a classic :) My sister has had similar LB problems (only been replaced 3 times though [note, 2 times according to Apple ;D]). Good luck with this new one&#33;

Cheers,

-petruk

pipsqeek
26th November 2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by petruk@Nov 25 2004, 09:56 PM
Hey mate, I didn&#39;t notice this thread until today. Congratulations on the outcome&#33; The final RAM story was a classic :) My sister has had similar LB problems (only been replaced 3 times though [note, 2 times according to Apple ;D]). Good luck with this new one&#33;

Cheers,

-petruk
2 times according to Apple, yet the&#39;s had 3 LB&#39;s.

This is the kind of shit that pisses me right off.

That&#39;s a rort.

I&#39;m on fire again, after hearing that.

Also, Petruk. - while I have your attention.

Just a personal note, I have completed TAFE and will try to start working on other things. One of them being a nice interface to your Swiftdsl download meter - the Konfabulator version.

I think the standard app edition is neat and tidy.

Splintered_Mind
26th November 2004, 01:19 AM
Just read this thread, entertaining story to say the least.

I&#39;m just glad this experience didnt turn you turn the dark side :D

pipsqeek
26th November 2004, 07:13 AM
I almost considered it. But I have put it down to the shop&#39;s attitude.

In the end, I just had a lemon of a machine.

That&#39;s not Apple&#39;s or the shops fault.

But it is their fault for not really looking after me because of it.

What&#39;s happened to "The customer is always (sometimes) right"?

When I worked in customer service, I had the ability to sus out if the customer was genuine or not. Obviously when the machine dies in front of you, and you can do something (normally operate the machine) and the thing karks it. I guess you can safely say that its a lemon, after multiple fixes. And without having to be told, replace the machine. Offer it to the customer.

I shouldn&#39;t have had to suggest these things. I shouldn&#39;t have had to waste my time and money (phone bill is huge) on calling up both the shop and Apple Aust HQ.

The shop sold the product, they should support it. I feel they didn&#39;t.

It is funny how in the beginning, the shop was okay with things, then in the end it was the other way around. Shop happy to help, Apple not so happy. turned to, Apple helping me out somewhat and the shop owner telling me to get out.

I think I&#39;ll do that idea I have suggested to one or two other members with their disputes with their local Apple shops...chain their doors during the night. Stick around and watch the employees faces as they come to work. Especially the owners.

I wouldn&#39;t do this in the end though. Its not my style. I&#39;ll just quietly spread the word. Hurt them financially. Like this entire iBook conundrum has cost them.

I am sure that 5 logic boards, the labour (which would be a heavily reduced rate, if anything by experience I know working on motorcycles), and the other parts, such as keyboard, battery, etc that was replaced on the G3. Including all the other things and the shipping of this machine. I would like to know how much it cost Apple and/or the shop.

I, in a way feel for the shop, who might have lost some money as well as having to now deal with Apple. But at the same time, you only get what you deserve.

I believe in Karma. sometimes it works premtively. A few weeks ago, before I got the iBook, apparently this shop was robbed. Some guys walked in, were having a look around. the sales guy just literally stepped out to the back for 2 secs. To get a print job.

Comes back, the guys are gone. And so are a few lappys, I think a 12" and 15" PB.

Ah well.

Its over now. Without asking for too much, I think an iSight would have been nice to have come bundled with the iBook. I mean, my mate "had" to buy dells for his business (without knocking the shit out of them, they are reasonably priced workstations if you need PC&#39;s). He got one bung 17" CRT. They replaced it with a 17" LCD with a letter written appologising for the inconvenience and hope that they enjoy the new monitor.

Maybe their computers are made with the cheapest possible brands or non-brand components, and I can&#39;t vouch for their customer service directly. but this did tell me that its better then Apple&#39;s. They took the guys word for it, assuming he was right. And the item was replaced within a day. Not only that, with a better monitor - keeping in mind, it is an office computer, not a gaming machine.

Apple take note?

pipsqeek

petruk
26th November 2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 26 2004, 12:20 AM
Just a personal note, I have completed TAFE and will try to start working on other things. One of them being a nice interface to your Swiftdsl download meter - the Konfabulator version.
Hahaha. I quite like it actually (edit: I&#39;m obviously into loud colours, in case you haven&#39;t guessed from my logo in my avatar :D). I quite enjoyed making it and aquafying it. My girlfriend says she likes it too (she doesn&#39;t use the OS X native app). I don&#39;t actually use it - I use cable :P But feel free to change it around - I can&#39;t hide the source code anyway&#33; I&#39;ll upload any changes onto my website unless you want to chuck them onto yours :) When OS X.4 comes out, I&#39;ll be putting efforts into making a Dashboard widget to replace both sets of programs.

Cheers mate,

-petruk

petruk
26th November 2004, 07:17 PM
Just spoke to me sister. Turns out she can&#39;t open her CD drive at the moment...

One of her LBs was replaced in the US, which may be the cause of the lack of information. Even so, if this is a hardware error, it&#39;d would have to be the 4th Apple acknowledged fault. According to the service guys she spoke to, the Powerbooks are no better. Which says to me that Apple&#39;s laptops are going down hill, especially given that warranties have been reduced from 3 years to one (means they only have to screw you around for a year and then say too bad).

Cheers,

-petruk

iluvmymactoo
29th November 2004, 05:17 AM
I agree that Apple laptops are not as they use to be :(

In the past 6 months I&#39;ve had two powerbooks and now this iBook. The iBook replaced the 2nd (replacement) powerbook and now for the 2nd time it goes back to Apple today for what may be it&#39;s 2nd logic board replacement.

My faith in Apple is dwindling. I read this post with much distain as it progressed. Whilst at first I just thought it was bad customer service on the reseller&#39;s behalf I now believe Apple are selling inferior goods.

I sent the tech who will be "repairing" my now one month old iBook an email besically saying if it can&#39;t be fixed then I don&#39;t want it back.

I&#39;m sorry guys, but I&#39;m seriously contemplating getting a pc laptop.

zefi
29th November 2004, 08:06 AM
Nicely done. That is one incredibly hair raising story, I feel so lucky that I haven&#39;t had to go through that. Especially considering that I live about 50 km from the nearest Apple Centre.

Congrats.

*Note* As to quality of laptop builds, I believe the problem stems from Apple outsourcing production to various companies. I will not make excuses for Apple, but somewhere through this process, mistakes are made. Policies need to be changed or re-examined. With Apple stock climbing higher, we should expect something drastic in return.

jobe
29th November 2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Nov 29 2004, 05:17 AM
snip
Is this a g4 ibook you&#39;re talking about? I&#39;ve heard nothing but good things about them. The tech that repaired my g3 ibook&#39;s LB said he used to have a g3 ibook also and it was the most god awful thing (4 LBs) but now he&#39;s got g4 ibook and never had an issue.

are many people having issues with their g4 ibooks?

pipsqeek
29th November 2004, 10:55 AM
No,

It was a G3 iBook.

Now replaced with a G4 iBook. And all is well.

pipsqeek

Lasha
25th December 2004, 10:10 AM
Wow&#33; This thread is absolutely amazing. I started from page one and read every word upto my post. Pipsqueek, first of all, I want to congradulate you on your victory and your new iBook G4. Yea, the newer G4 iBooks are better than the previous G3s, hence there being a lot less problems with them. I envy your actions and courage of not giving up till you rested your case happily. I am planning on getting a PowerBook very soon, but, if Windows makes me snap, I might just run out and get a iBook G4. Heh. I do live in the US, and the huge electronics store nationwide is an Apple Authorised Retailer - and I am friends with the Apple guy that works there. I hope I don&#39;t have go through any problems with my first Mac, when I get one - heck, I hope I don&#39;t go through what you went through. But, if I had to, everything would be taken care of within 1 week. I guess my personality won&#39;t let the situation last too long. I must be happy with the stuff I spend a lot of hard-earned money on. Once again, congrats and I am glad you&#39;re happy with your Mac.

Also, I would like to say one thing:

We all love Apple, of course - and their products are absolutely amazing, but, don&#39;t you think that this happens once in a while with companies, EVEN companies like Apple? Well, these sorts of stuff happen quite often every single day around the world. I just wanted to say to keep strong faith in Apple, and NEVER give up&#33;

Alessiman
25th December 2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Nov 25 2004, 09:25 AM
I would gladly name the business, but I am not sure that it is acceptable on the forums. I shall find out. -I have found out that I can, but rather not, for the odd chance that someone from there reads this thread, proceeds to sui AppleTalk, in turn coming out of the pocket of its creator(s). That&#39;s where it becomes personal.

So I would rather not say due to those reason. But I will say, it is located in the St. George area - Myer? maybe, I&#39;ll leave that to you. ;)

I would like to thank all the people I previously thanked, again. But I would also like to thank the forum moderators, admins and others in key areas of running this forum...you know who you are.

Thank you for offering me a place to vent, express and convey my story of what I would call, "What Jobs&#39; Doesn&#39;t Want to Know"

Thanks to all.

pipsqeek
Pipsqueek,

You obviously never read the PC Hardware forums on whirlpool

Gamedude, MSY get very deserved feedback there all the time

Its great humour to watch the owner of Gamedude defend his staff and store.

Customer Service manager he is not :-)

pipsqeek
27th December 2004, 09:46 AM
Yes, I have seen those forums and threads.

I also use PC&#39;s....my home run business relies of their unreliability. :)

Not me, but other people not so familiar with Apple will probably be shocked at the service, because as far as I am concerned, Most magazines, even PC ones that review an Apple product will comment on how crap it is, blah, blah, blah...but will go on to mention that their service is great. This comes from both PC mags from the US and locally, here in Aust.

Also, from previous experiences with machines I&#39;ve had (Macintosh), if I have had an issue under warranty, the same shop I have dealt with has been great. I have never been questioned to the point that I feel as though I am being made out as a liar or purposfully breaking my machines that cost me money in the end (more so then what it costs the shop, I gaurantee it).

Regardless of what goes on, you don&#39;t tell a customer to basically get out of the store, when the customer is calmly asking legitimately, why this isn&#39;t so?

I have not lost faith in Apple. Just Apple Aust, and specifically the store. I will be going to another shop from now on. HELL, I&#39;m even tempted to open my own, regardless of the low profit margins and crap to deal with. I know that atleast I will treat the customers twice as good as how a long term customer like me from that shop was dealt with.

You&#39;d expect to be treated with respect regardless of how long you&#39;ve been going to the same shop or jumping from the one with the better deal, to the other. But at the same time, you kind of have to expect some form of quality with service when you have been dealing with the same shop for over 8 years and refering people to the place.

But word has spread and I even have someone whoo used them as a constant supplier for mac&#39;s has now switched to another shop, with my experience confirming his experience.

thanks
pipsqeek

kit
27th December 2004, 01:30 PM
What a heart-warming story :P.

My guess is, the Apple retailer had been contacted regarding by Apple Australia in relation to the discrepancy in the Logic Board replacement figures, and the owner had already copped a fair amount of crap due to your iBook :P. My guess is that Angie was fired, and that the guy&#39;s Apple License was close to being revoked.

I&#39;d be surprised if that guy retains that role very long at all, though. Apple Australia revoked Business Cents&#39; Apple license in Wollongong, and we got a MAC1 store (who are very good, in my experience).

Personally, I&#39;d prefer the 14" one that you got over the 12" PowerBook - 12" is too small for my liking, although the 12" P&#39;Book has been one of the least afflicted models in the PowerBook lineup (judging by the Apple.com.au Support Forums)

kit
27th December 2004, 01:42 PM
Oh, and for future reference; I&#39;ve had mixed reviews of Dell&#39;s customer service. One friend of mine has a 15" Dell Inspiron 8500, and when it shorted out, a tech was at his house the following day, and he replaced the motherboard, the keyboard and the PSU; although he admitted the problem was with the Motherboard, people had had issues with the other components, so Dell authorised their installation to prevent further issues.

While putting the computer back together, the tech stripped the screws in the laptop. When the computer died again (this time, it was a display), the technician who arrived had been told of the stripped threads, that they had been signed off as technician fault, and when he arrived, he brought an entirely new Inspiron and just moved my friend&#39;s Hard Disk into the new one.

That&#39;s how service should be.

Although when ordering it, he spoke to an Indian outsourced Service Rep who refused to let him get the lower density display, without him almost hanging up on her. She had been told to push it as much as possible.

I&#39;m posting this thread on macosx.com forums, too.

helloroto
6th January 2005, 12:20 AM
Congrats on finally winning ur case over&#33; I wish i could get a g4 ibook. The 800 & 900 iBooks must have been a really bad batch because i have had no problems with my 500&#33; Runs OSX like a knife through butter. Even though it only has 256Mb ram. lol :P And no reported problems with the 600 or 700&#39;s either. I feel for ya man&#33; I went to our local applecentre for work exp. They absolutely enjoyed having my company and gave me a free Graphite iMac Shell to make a Guinea Pig cage out of LOL :D.

I maybe going back next week to help out&#33;

Bye for now

BJ
:blink: :huh: :unsure:

Kreats
6th January 2005, 04:37 AM
For a store that provides insanely cheap goods, it&#39;s hard to criticize msy&#39;s service. They really are just a parts vendor rather than a pc builder/servicer - you&#39;d have to be mad to get something custom built there as the lines are always out the door.

You&#39;d expect something better from an apple reseller however.

Drinahn
12th January 2005, 03:23 PM
Wow Pips.. that&#39;s a freakin amazing story... In about October 2003 I got a DOA iBook too.. happily since massive price drops happened I just told my store I didn&#39;t want a iBook anymore, they could sell the replacement to someone else, and spent like &#036;800 extra on a TiBook instead. That rocked..

I reckon that most of your problems were caused by your reseller.. it wouldn&#39;t surprise me if they tried to cut corners and didn&#39;t replace your logic board at all a few times.. I find it hard to believe that Apple Aus would not have correct records, unless your reseller withheld em... wow..

I hope you still like Macs&#33;

Perhaps we will get real Apple Stores announced today.. *fingers crossed*

pipsqeek
13th January 2005, 08:43 AM
Yes, I am still a Mac person. Disgruntled, but mainly at the shop. In the end, the shop was the bad guy and Apple Aust turned good. With a few staff changes thrown in the works to mix up the already confusing state everyone was in.

The G4 I got is happily chugging along.

By Apple opening up their own stores, I don&#39;t think that might change too much. When I think about it. It was hard for me to get near working at a reseller. Then after hearing some great stories like mine, from people that work there. I&#39;ve left previous jobs for less bodgey work practices. So I gave up on working there. Getting to my point... the current people that work in Apple resellers now will mainly be the ones that get the jobs at the Stores. Why? Because they have the "knowledge", "experience" and require almost no further training to start immediately.

Coming from a money point of view, and lets face it, Apple doesn&#39;t care who they sell to, as long as the &#036;&#036;&#036;&#39;s keep rolling in, just like every other company. In that situation, who would get hired first? Me, or them.

At the end of the day, you are dealing with the same idiots as before. They are just more spread out now. :)

This may sound negative, but I think I have enough reason to feel suspicious about anyone selling Apple&#39;s from now on.

Thanks
pipsqeek

Al Aero
17th January 2005, 11:20 PM
And here i am considering buying a Imac G5 for my mum..

Shite what read.. i only hope someone is the states has read these posts, glad u stuck it to them at the Applestore pipsqueak good work

al ;)

Comet
18th January 2005, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jan 13 2005, 09:43 AM

By Apple opening up their own stores, I don&#39;t think that might change too much. When I think about it. It was hard for me to get near working at a reseller. Then after hearing some great stories like mine, from people that work there. I&#39;ve left previous jobs for less bodgey work practices. So I gave up on working there. Getting to my point... the current people that work in Apple resellers now will mainly be the ones that get the jobs at the Stores. Why? Because they have the "knowledge", "experience" and require almost no further training to start immediately.

I disagree on that one. I can only tell you my views from the standpoint of the Apple Stores in Japan, but boy do they provide service. I was really wanting to work at the store so I did a bit of research, and turns out that they all go to the US to be trained. Apple emphasizes unbelievable service. It&#39;s really hard to explain the atmosphere inside the Apple Store, but it really feels like you&#39;re surrounded by friends who love the same thing.
Will the same people be hired? Maybe, but I doubt that they will be allowed to have that sort of crappy attitude. For example, should I be allowed to wait for 40 minutes to have someone serve me just so that I can pick up my already paid hardware at NextByte on Elizabeth st? Or how about being told by MyMac that Apple Australia hadn&#39;t authorized the refund for 3 weeks so they can&#39;t give me a refund when it turns out that it was done over 2 weeks before. Unfortunately the retailers here are crap (here as in Australia)
If they decide to open up a store in Australia, the head will be someone from the US who will oversee the importance of customer service.

cemil
18th January 2005, 06:56 AM
I have to say, computers now in Crows Nest has consistenly given me EXCELLENT service above and beyond the call of duty. I don&#39;t think all Apple retailers in AU are shiete.

pipsqeek
19th January 2005, 08:55 AM
Well, anyway.

I hate to bring back some bad *memories (pun - and you&#39;ll see why in a few seconds).

My iBook has started to crash, randomly.

The screen flickers when I open the lid.

And there are those patchy spots starting to appear around the bottom of the screen, as though the backlight is not luminating very well.

I should have sold this bitch when I brought it home. :angry:

And because it was delivered from Apple as a warranty job to begin with. I can&#39;t take it back to an Apple Authorised Repairer/Dealer/etc. It has to go back to Apple Aust.

More waiting, more money, more lost time, more lost jobs, Apple.... you&#39;re starting to annoy me.
I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll be getting another laptop again. ever.

I&#39;m going to get this machine fixed, then its going on ebay and here.

I&#39;ll save up the remaining amount of money and getting a G5 tower.

pipsqeek

iluvmymactoo
19th January 2005, 09:29 AM
F* Pipsqeek that&#39;s really annoying. I completely understand your frustration.

So what is the process now? How will you be sending it to Apple and do you have an estimated repair time?

The problems you&#39;ve just described is this more than the "bad ram" scenario originally suspected do you think?

purana
19th January 2005, 09:44 AM
Apple is annoying me too.. first bad bluetooth mouse (only after opening it on my birthday and then using 2 weeks it dies). Apple say take it to service centre. Nextbyte take it and then estimate 2 or more weeks to get it sorted. What a utter joke.

And as of lastnight my wifes ipod mini click wheel is stuffed. She rang up and got hang up on. Then rang again and got the indian call centre (as I knew she would). The woman on the other end was clueless. Took 3 attempts to get name correct. She then asks for phone number. Wife gives her number only to have indian on other end say is that the case number. My wife says no the phone number and hangs up in fustration.

Track record so far is not looking good for Apple. I know when I worked with a service provider I hated getting transferred to the new Indian call centre they brought in mid way through last year.. Grr..

pipsqeek
19th January 2005, 10:56 PM
It&#39;s really really sad.

/me shakes head.

aswitcher
24th January 2005, 12:51 PM
Amazing story pipsqeek. And I thought my DOA PB last May and a 5 week delay for the replacement was bad.

I am really looking forward to an actual Apple store in Sydney. With their new price matching (10%) policy, I see no point in dealing with resellers who during my experience have not been symperthic or particularly helpful once they have your money...

At least with an Apple Store they can&#39;t point the finger at Apple Australia and blame them for delays and not knowing whats going on.

someonestolecc
3rd February 2005, 02:54 PM
Wow.. what a joke.

As a prospective mac buyer (i was going to put an order down on a g4 powerbook) should I be worried?

I don&#39;t want to experience this kinda crap.

Also is buying it from apple mean you then deal with apple and does buying from a reseller mean then you deal with a reseller?

Or is the support network all the same?

964RSCS
3rd February 2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by someonestolecc@Feb 3 2005, 02:54 PM
Wow.. what a joke.

As a prospective mac buyer (i was going to put an order down on a g4 powerbook) should I be worried?

I don&#39;t want to experience this kinda crap.

Also is buying it from apple mean you then deal with apple and does buying from a reseller mean then you deal with a reseller?

Or is the support network all the same?
I read the same extensive post before buying my 15 inch PowerBook just before christmas... It had me concerned aswell, but in the end, this could happen with any product you buy - Mac, PC or otherwise. For the most part it seems Apple are reliable, and in my view pipsqeek was just the victim of an unfortunate set of circumstances.

Bite the bullet and buy a Mac&#33;&#33; I don&#39;t think you&#39;ll be disappointed :D

I bought from an "Apple Centre". I&#39;m not too sure of the difference between them and an Apple reseller as such (think these guys sell other brands etc also). Have had good service from them all the way through - they even installed upgraded RAM in an iMac for me at no charge. Mind you, I would have been pissed off if they had wanted to charge me, having bought two Macs from them within a month&#33; My personal preference was to buy from the Apple Centre as opposed to somewhere such as Myer, who I doubt would have the same expertise, or place as much value in their "Mac customers", as say an Apple Centre should.

On a slightly side note to your other post, you might be able to get a G4 PowerBook at a reduced rate now... I have a G4 15inch w/Superdrive, and rate it very highly&#33;

Cheers

Gerard

paulharrop
3rd February 2005, 03:18 PM
I have 24 x 12 inch iBooks at my school which are used all day / every day.

They are charged twice a day and are carted from room to room in laptop bags as our campus is up and down and all over the place and we can&#39;t use a trolley.

I have everything from G3 700&#39;s to the newest G4&#39;s.

They all run off our wireless network (6 x airport extreme basestations).

I have only had a couple of repairs on the whole lot of them.

1 logic board on a G3
1 broken aerial on a G3
1 faulty battery on a G3

and that&#39;s it from 24 computers.

The G4&#39;s seem generally more robust than the G3&#39;s but I have had most of the G3&#39;s for 2 years and they get flogged (loved but flogged) by constant classroom use. All years levels from 1-7 use them and a couple have survived being dropped.

I am really pleased with the iBooks I have and their reliability as I don&#39;t think any iBook would work harder than those in a school.

It&#39;s really sad to hear about someone who for some reason scores a lemon as it gives, what I consider to be a good product, a bad reputation / let alone being extremely frustating for the owner.

Regards

Paul

Jaffa
13th February 2005, 07:42 PM
hi pipsqeek, have a look at my dispute with apple australia: http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=4543 , so far, 6 weeks, AND COUNTING... lol...

jaffa

adamjc
6th May 2005, 10:47 PM
So how is your Mac going now?

Adam.

applecollector
6th May 2005, 10:54 PM
well may i be the first to congratulate you&#33;
Finally they did something&#33;

Jon
7th May 2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by paulharrop@Feb 3 2005, 03:18 PM
I have 24 x 12 inch iBooks at my school which are used all day / every day.

They are charged twice a day and are carted from room to room in laptop bags as our campus is up and down and all over the place and we can&#39;t use a trolley.

I have everything from G3 700&#39;s to the newest G4&#39;s.

They all run off our wireless network (6 x airport extreme basestations).

I have only had a couple of repairs on the whole lot of them.

1 logic board on a G3
1 broken aerial on a G3
1 faulty battery on a G3

and that&#39;s it from 24 computers.

The G4&#39;s seem generally more robust than the G3&#39;s but I have had most of the G3&#39;s for 2 years and they get flogged (loved but flogged) by constant classroom use. All years levels from 1-7 use them and a couple have survived being dropped.

I am really pleased with the iBooks I have and their reliability as I don&#39;t think any iBook would work harder than those in a school.

It&#39;s really sad to hear about someone who for some reason scores a lemon as it gives, what I consider to be a good product, a bad reputation / let alone being extremely frustating for the owner.

On that note we have some 20 G3 12" ibooks here and a further 20 G4 12" as well here at the school where I work and they have pretty much peformed well as well - additionally a dozen eMacs and some powerbooks and stuff .. which are essentially in good shape. (Our Ibooks get used heavily and "heartily" as well - I suspect it&#39;s an education thing =) ).

In general they have all peformed as well as they should. Our "preferred" reseller is Computers Now in Crowy and they have been good to us as well .. so it&#39;s not all negative in Apple&#39;land. Having said that, I&#39;d take bets on the fact that the Consumer Relation person you spoke to Pipsquak will have their hands full =). It&#39;s not just the customers that are starting to get worried about Apple but also the resellers. Seems to go all the way down the chain from apple to the consumer.

On that note what is the legal position of recommending suppliers rather than being negative about the ones we should rather avoid ? Actually I am sitting in the wicked digital store as I write this and Steve&#39;s making a good point - Best Price or Support pick one of the two.

pipsqeek
9th May 2005, 10:02 PM
I&#39;ll always take Support over best price.

Being a Self employed network engineer. I provide excellent support to my clients. With each one usually telling me after the first consultation. Which is great. And the thing is... I usually tell them... I am not the cheapest.

But I think these people have been bitten by the same bug I had been bitten by... saving a few bucks and crossing town... just to spent the money you saved on petrol... and then spending more, because of bad service, having to drive back.. and forth... back and forth....

I mean... if I were to charge Apple for the driving time, cost of fuel, wear and tear of my vehicle... I&#39;d walk out with a shiny new 30" Display. And that&#39;s not including the copious amounts of phone calls, numerous times a day, because someone couldn&#39;t be bothered calling back.. yet when you go there. they are sitting around, watching ripped DVD&#39;s on a 23" demo screen or cranking the soundsticks... oblivious to the phone ringing.

It paints a sad picture that is all too common.

From this experience I don&#39;t really trust any Mac resellers... as it has well and truly been the case of one bad apple spoiling the bunch. If I want a Mac... I prefer the 2nd hand market.

pipsqeek :thumbup:

btw... the new iBook is still running fine.

ttyler
9th May 2005, 11:32 PM
<_<

iSlayer
20th May 2005, 09:15 AM
well my sisters ibook suffered a logic board failure a few weeks ago.naturally i was a little worried about how long it would take and if the new one would work properly.

Well it took less then 1 week for them to get the logic board and install it and all has been perfect since.

adamjc
20th May 2005, 09:37 AM
Do iMacs have problems with their logic boards?

Or is it a portables issue only.

iSlayer
20th May 2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by adamjc@May 20 2005, 10:37 AM
Do iMacs have problems with their logic boards?

Or is it a portables issue only.
any system can have problems.
but it was the g3 ibooks that were the worst

danno74
26th June 2005, 07:15 PM
iMac G5 Rev.A&#39;s (built in October/November 2004 have had massive problems with logic boards and bad power supplies - I&#39;ve done a lot of research lately, and there are literally thousands of people out there with their iMac G5&#39;s in for repair of faulty logic boards - this could almost be worse than the iBook drama.

Pipsqeak - kudos, my friend - kudos&#33;&#33;&#33; Wow, what an amazing story - you truly are an inspiration to the rest of us who hate to love Apple - your determination and persistence, all while keeping a cool head, should be adopted by the rest of us who have similar issues with Apple Customer Relations and our local AppleCentre. I have had similar problems myself (although nowhere near as drastic as your saga) and get the feeling things are going to get worse before they get better, so on my first iMac G5 logic board replacement (in the shop now for almost two weeks and no word), I&#39;ve written a very long and firm letter to Apple Customer Relations. Haven&#39;t heard back from them. I believe they&#39;re ignoring me.

Little do they know that good folks like Pipsqueak inspire people like myself to get the balls up to go out there and fight the big corporate machine that Apple has become (ironically enough, the same big corporate machine they heckled in the infamous 1984 big brother ad) when their pathetic customer service (or lack thereof) doesn&#39;t live up to it&#39;s promises, let alone basic customer service expected of any business in the world. Hell, I&#39;ve had better service and a whole lot more respect as a valued customer from the little deli across the road that I buy a &#036;2 coffee and &#036;3 sandwich from every day. The owner brings my coffee out to me if I&#39;m standing outside, even though he doesn&#39;t have to&#33;&#33;&#33; Then I look at Apple, who I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on over the past decade and they won&#39;t even reply to a letter.

It basically comes down to a lack of corporate responsibility. Big companies are often the worst offenders when it comes to both customer service and environmental responsibility. I don&#39;t know whether it&#39;s the numbers they have to deal with, or whether they simply ignore the little people because there&#39;s no money in it for them, but either way, it&#39;s just ignorant and shameful.

My personal opinion is that it all comes down to the almighty dollar - just read Pipsqueak&#39;s post and it&#39;s clear that Apple&#39;s policies are based on the same as any other big company - money, money, money - when you&#39;re that size, it all comes down to profits and losses.

Anyway, I&#39;ve raved enough for now, but be assured, Pipsqueak - we&#39;re all rooting for you mate - keep up the good work and good luck with your new iBook - truly a well deserved upgrade - in fact, you should have received a 30inch display for all your trouble, just out of simple courtesy&#33;

pipsqeek
17th March 2006, 07:09 AM
MWHOAhahahahaha, the thread lives on.

It was brought to my attention that my 3 year extended Applecare that I got with the original machine was never transferred over to the replacement iBook(s).

I spent an hour on the phone with Apple yesterday trying to make them understand the story. I talked to 7 different people, until someone listened to me (a manager), figured out what dialect of English I was speaking and finally was able to miraculously find all the information they need to fix the problem.

I just thought I&#39;d post an update of how things are going with the 14" iBook.

So far, all the characters on the keys are gone. Luckily, that&#39;s the only issue. I am amazed.

pips :thumbup:

applecollector
17th March 2006, 07:26 AM
Good God what did u do to the keyboard of that ibook?
So u now have warranty on the G4 iBook?

purana
17th March 2006, 09:13 AM
First thing I did when my wife got a new machine, was to make sure they updated the warranty info to reflect what day that machine was given to her and have warranty start from that day.

Even then it was difficult, but they did it.

Pej
17th March 2006, 09:53 AM
the keyboard must be a problem with the g4&#39;s, as 1 of the 3 that my school received has the exact same problem. <_<

edit - and the teacher using it isnt setting any world records for 1 finger speed typing mind u&#33;