PDA

View Full Version : OS X network filename charactor limit

bowser
8th October 2004, 07:37 AM
Hi
I'm new to mac's and have tried researching this fault myself but am running out of ideas. Please help...

I have my G4 desktop networked to a NT 4 file server. I'm running OS X. I can create files with 31 + characters locally, but as soon as I attempt to copy them to the server it states that the filename is too long. If I copy the same file via smb protocol it's fine. I know this limitation existed in 9 but I didn't think OS X was affected.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
thx

Disko
8th October 2004, 09:52 AM
hey bowser. welcome to AppleTalk. :)

Which protocol are you using? SMB doesn't support long file names iirc. Not sure about afp though.

cmetom
8th October 2004, 09:56 AM
i use long file names through SMB between 10.3 and Win2000.SP4 all the time.
though i can't offer a solution, it may involve NT4.. maybe google some of the key terms?

Jmi
8th October 2004, 01:04 PM
On top of my head,
NT4.0 do not support long file name if its fat32.
i'll give a check for you.

*edit*
I can create a Long filename in NT4.0 but not in DOS mode though.

hope it helps

decryption
8th October 2004, 05:41 PM
Yep, Jmi is correct.
The simple solution is dump NT4, get Windows 2003 and everyone will play nice :)

bowser
8th October 2004, 05:55 PM
thanks for the help guys.

Problem is that smb does copy it successfully to the NT4 server, it's appletalk that doesn't. Even ftp works.... Going from that I assumed the problem wasn't so much NT4, but the way OS X transfers files via Appletalk.

I'll check the servers partitions to see if there FAT32 or NTFS.

josh64
8th October 2004, 09:50 PM
Could be something to do with the version of the appletalk protocol the NT4 box uses?

I am not a mac expert (yet! :P) but a quick google says that Pre-Mac OS X had a filename limit of 31 or 32 characters. If this is true, it stands to reason that the version of the appletalk protocol that was around back then would only support 31 or 32 characters. NT4 is Pre-Mac OS X age so I'm guessing the appletalk protocol it supports has this limit.

Hope this helps! (and I hope I didn't give you false info!)

Cheers,

Josh.

staph
18th November 2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by josh64@Oct 8 2004, 09:50 PM
Could be something to do with the version of the appletalk protocol the NT4 box uses?

I am not a mac expert (yet! :P) but a quick google says that Pre-Mac OS X had a filename limit of 31 or 32 characters. If this is true, it stands to reason that the version of the appletalk protocol that was around back then would only support 31 or 32 characters. NT4 is Pre-Mac OS X age so I'm guessing the appletalk protocol it supports has this limit.

Hope this helps! (and I hope I didn't give you false info!)

Cheers,

Josh.
Support for Unicode and 255 byte filenames is recent in AFP AFP3 is required, AFAIK. NT4 predates AFP3, so therein (probably) lies the problem.

Information (in great detail) can be found here (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Networking/Conceptual/AFP/Chapter_1/chapter_2_section_3.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000196/CIFBBCCE). It appears that this hasn't yet been updated to reflect 255-byte names.