PDA

View Full Version : Recommended RAM

decryption
6th February 2004, 05:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting some RAM for my G5, two 256mb sticks, and I'm wondering if there are any brands people can suggest?
Is Kingston RAM any good for Apple computers?

the_argon
6th February 2004, 06:06 PM
I have Kingston in this mac right now (1x128MB) seems ok, but from my experience it's the individual sticks that have problem not the brands...

try crucial (www.crucial.com) or corsair (www.corsair.com) they are two of the best RAM munfacturers ATM.

elvis
6th February 2004, 08:21 PM
generally speaking apple themselves tend to use cheap shit ram to cut down on overhead costs in their systems. 99% of the ram i've seen in macs has been samsung or hyundai, both of which are shocking.

kingmax/kingston is a step up the food chain for a G5. :)

decryption
6th February 2004, 09:36 PM
I can get two 512mb sticks of Kingston RAM for $218, so I might do that...
I can't seem to find any crucial RAM here in Aus and Corsair RAM is quite expensive :(

Gothikon
6th February 2004, 09:49 PM
Have you tried razorprices.com ? searches a large portion of australian PC shops with an online presents and returns results sorted by price. Great for all sorts fo stuff.

Cory5412
6th February 2004, 11:50 PM
Is there really a difference in performance/speed with these different brands of memory? I know that when I've seen/used different brands of memory I haven't noticed that much...

I can imagine a quality difference... but "If it works, it works" right?

decryption
7th February 2004, 07:08 AM
Gothikon: I checked out Razor Prices, no Crucial RAM there, but the Corsair TwinX Low Latency RAM (2x 256mb) is $189, which isn't too bad.

Corey: There are speed differences in the CAS timings, the G5 supports a CAS timing of 2, and the lower the CAS timing the better:
"The CAS latency is the delay, in clock cycles, between the registration of a READ command and the availability of the first piece of output data. The latency can be set to 1, 2 or 3 clocks. If a READ command is registered at clock edge n, and the latency is m clocks, the data will be available by clock edge n+m. "

The lowest latency RAM around at the moment is 2, so that's what I'd like to get seeing the G5 supports it, according to the G5 PowerMac Developer Notes. And if the Mac doesn't like CAS 2, the chip can still run CAS 2.5 or 3 fine, just with a performance hit.

The stock RAM I got was a some Hynix, CAS 2.5, so yeah. The Corsair RAM looks the goods at the moment.

the_argon
7th February 2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Feb 7 2004, 07:38 AM
The lowest latency RAM around at the moment is 2, so that's what I'd like to get seeing the G5 supports it, according to the G5 PowerMac Developer Notes. And if the Mac doesn't like CAS 2, the chip can still run CAS 2.5 or 3 fine, just with a performance hit.

The stock RAM I got was a some Hynix, CAS 2.5, so yeah. The Corsair RAM looks the goods at the moment.
Not sure if you know or not decryption but how do you change the CAS latency of the system RAM in OSX?

I'd really like to experiment with my iMac, see how far my PC133 RAM will go, especially since 10.3 is so reliant on RAM

Generally if the system RAM is running under spec you can achive a lower CAS latency.

the_argon
7th February 2004, 12:52 PM
Also, definately go for the macthed pair decryption. Just make sure it's PC2700 (333Mhz) or faster

"RAM modules for all G5 models must be installed in matched pairs." - taken from www.apple-history.com

downsys
2nd May 2006, 04:56 PM
sorry to bring up a really old thread, but i'd just like to ask, which is a better brand between Kingmax, Corsair, and Crucial? i could get them for the same price ($187 delivered, 1gb ram for ibook G4) so just wanna know which would be a better buy. thanks.

jerrah
2nd May 2006, 05:10 PM
decryption - crucial only sells direct from America I believe? Shipping is quite fast though. :thumbup:

I've used crucial ram in all my laptops and never had a problem with it. I usually use 'generic' Samsung ram in my desktops. I test the desktop ram when I get it home, and if it has a problem I take it straight back for an exchange.

wilba
2nd May 2006, 05:20 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jerrah &#064; May 2 2006, 05&#58;10 PM) 168421</div>

decryption - crucial only sells direct from America I believe? Shipping is quite fast though. :thumbup:

I&#39;ve used crucial ram in all my laptops and never had a problem with it. I usually use &#39;generic&#39; Samsung ram in my desktops. I test the desktop ram when I get it home, and if it has a problem I take it straight back for an exchange.
[/b]

Decryption already bought his RAM over two years ago&#33; :lol:

downsys
2nd May 2006, 05:21 PM
i found a crucial here:

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodLis...idCategory=1169 (http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=1169)

melbmac
2nd May 2006, 05:28 PM
I&#39;ve been looking at RAM lately, I checked at streetwise (on their site), they have two options in the 1gb department, and the price difference is huge &#036;175 for some generic brand and &#036;339 for the kingston equivalent...

Can anybody shed some light on why the kingston stuff is so much more, i&#39;ve read their little blurb but am still wondering???

Currawong
2nd May 2006, 05:55 PM
I found plenty of computer dealers with cheap Corsair, but the situation with RAM, as it was explained to me is this:

The chip manufacturers offer different qualities of RAM chips for sale. The board manufacturer, say Corsair, buys chips in batches of different qualities, solders them to their own boards and sells them at different prices. Rinse and repeat with the numerous RAM manufacturers out there. Basically, you pay for what you get. I&#39;ve had lifetime warranty RAM from some manufacturer I&#39;d never heard of before that was fine.

astr0b0y
2nd May 2006, 09:37 PM
Currawong has hit the nail on the head.
There are only a handful of RAM chip manufacturers and they make batches and test em for speed and quality then sell them on at various prices.

For example, if you order RAM for a Power Mac that uses DDR PC2100 RAM, you will more than likely end up with PC3200 RAM as this will clock back to PC2100 when installed.
The truth of the matter is, that chip makers DON&#39;T make PC2100 RAM, only PC3200 (in this example). Batches are made then tested for speed. If they fail to pass tests for PC3200 speed, they are tested at PC2700. If they pass this they are sold as PC2700 - if they fail, they are tested at PC2100 speeds and sold as PC2100.